Valheim

Soldato
Can a controller be used to play this game? I couldn't get into it before, but I think it's partly down to playing on PC. If I could chill in my lounge with it maybe I'd like it more, however I'd rather use a controller.
You can play it on Steam Deck :)

Man of Honour
Well just watched this video - PC 4K - graphics look 10 years old - it's hardly New World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgGYVNLoWZk

Probably a good thing considering what a failure New World has been :)

However, there is of course far more to a game than its graphics, hence the brilliance of the likes of Rimworld , Project Zomboid and Factorio. Valheim is an extremely good game, which is why it won Game of the Year in some places but your original point was how can early access be paid and as many have pointed out, paying for early access actually can pay great dividends at times. £15 for Valheim is a bargain instead of £35+ , £7 for Subnautica was a bargain compared to £35+ , £25 for Satisfactory is a bargain instead of £40.

Its not like its even a new concept, I remember paying £5 to get into the beta of Star Wars Galaxies and that was 20 years ago :)

Soldato
Can a controller be used to play this game? I couldn't get into it before, but I think it's partly down to playing on PC. If I could chill in my lounge with it maybe I'd like it more, however I'd rather use a controller.

Are we talking about Valhiem? Because that's all I ever used. Xbox one controller works flawlessly. Best £15 I ever spent that game.

Soldato
Well just watched this video - PC 4K - graphics look 10 years old - it's hardly New World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgGYVNLoWZk

I don't think you quite get it - its a visual style the game has - the lighting system is INSANE, top end 2022 stuff. That clip doesn't really show sun sets/sun rise particularly effectively. I do think they should do ray traced on this at some point - although it hardly needs it given how it looks now.

Great game as well, incredible in fact, nearly my best game ever - its just so, so sooooo good - I admit I would like a texture mod to make textures look better but the rest is fine.

Associate
I don't think you quite get it - its a visual style the game has - the lighting system is INSANE, top end 2022 stuff. That clip doesn't really show sun sets/sun rise particularly effectively. I do think they should do ray traced on this at some point - although it hardly needs it given how it looks now.

Great game as well, incredible in fact, nearly my best game ever - its just so, so sooooo good - I admit I would like a texture mod to make textures look better but the rest is fine.

There's a few texture packs available already on nexus mods site. They are pretty good, but I've since removed them as the game loses a little atmosphere for me.

Soldato
Why? Sell it to me

read the endless reviews on it - amazing atmosphere, open world - you can really do whatever the HELL YOU LIKE - its basically a 2nd life to me now (Abit of a worrying statement! :D:cry:)

I really really need to get stuff done IRL - but mining away and making my own house in Valheim while going off on random adventures is just too much fun - if you want a great game, buy it - it feels SO polished, cannot believe its in development - it makes it more fun that tons more is yet to come, best £15 I ever spent.

Soldato
From Steam Store Page "Overall Reviews:
Overwhelmingly Positive (287,227 reviews)"

Should tell you all you need to know. But in short there is loads to do, building is great fun, combat is good, lots of variety of weapons, equipment and food. Can spend hours and hours making new buildings (of a massive scale). The whole atmosphere of the game is great - despite the basic textures. Outside of the textures imo the graphics are great, as said before the lightning. Lots of fun to play with friends.

Soldato
From Steam Store Page "Overall Reviews:
Overwhelmingly Positive (287,227 reviews)"

Should tell you all you need to know. But in short there is loads to do, building is great fun, combat is good, lots of variety of weapons, equipment and food. Can spend hours and hours making new buildings (of a massive scale). The whole atmosphere of the game is great - despite the basic textures. Outside of the textures imo the graphics are great, as said before the lightning. Lots of fun to play with friends.
IMHO - The only thing that needs truly building on is some more diversity in what can be found via exploration, and more variety/depth/tactics in enemy and enemy AI.

Soldato
They're finally releasing the teaser trailer for the next biome at 1400 today ... Not long to go!

This'll keep me busy over the Christmas period playing through it all again - haven't touched it since about march this year so will be a fresh start!

Question is: new character entirely or carry over my existing levelled up guy and all his kit?

Last edited:
Associate
Is anyone playing this multiplayer? eg: A number of you on server working together? How are you finding it fun/playability wise?

Me and the wife used to play together was pretty fun shed host on her laptop she'd did most of the farming while I was at work

I'd imagine the game is pretty good with a server full tho it's a very lonely game solo

Soldato
Is anyone playing this multiplayer? eg: A number of you on server working together? How are you finding it fun/playability wise?
We had 4 of us playing a while back. We generally take on different roles (farming, building, hunting, mining etc...) and its works well.
Not played for a long time as we had done everything and it got boring.

Back
Top Bottom