Valorant

Soldato
Played this with two of my friends. Honestly love it, find it more interesting than csgo. Hitreg and controls feel spot on. Can see this being very popular

Soldato
They really need to bring out ranked ASAP, i had a game where everyone on my team were playing like they've never played before, real basic stuff. Got another ace in a 13-2 drubbing.

Associate
I like it but killing people is too easy, the tagging allows for literally no dodging like in csgo, once you're hit you are dead basically. Wish they would tone that down a bit

Soldato
I was going to have a play now that the game is out but omg its anti cheat system is trash.
Looks like its going to block heaps of my software from running, yeah not doing that you can go jump off a cliff riot

My PC has bluescreened twice since installing this earlier in the week, for the first time in years... Seems like I'm not alone in this (and some people have reported its disabled their corsair AIOs?!)

Its a really poor showing in my opinion. The pair of monitors cost me nearly 2k and they are nothing but a pain when it comes to games. Work wise they are wonderful 120hz massive real estate, what isnt to like?

Honestly before these I ran 4k and the experience in terms of games and just generally not having to fight the resolution etc was miles ahead. To be honest every game I have tried ran better at 4k with the exception of pubg but then even at 4k i was still getting in excess of 100 frames with decent settings, ultra draw distance etc.

Its about time devs stopped being lazy and catered to not just the lowest common denominator. The list of games with issues at the res is literally endless. Csgo for example supports the res but try playing the game at that res, there is something wrong with the engine that causes massive frame and server variance at 3440x1440 that isnt there at literally any other resolution. Even crazy 4k eyefinity resolutions.

I would bet money that of my 300 game steam library there are probably 70 to 80% that have issues at the 3440x1440 UW res.

Suprised you've been having so many issues, i've been running 3440x1440 for the last 5 years, and other than a few problems in the first 6 months, I'd say about 95% of games & software I've used since then has worked perfectly (or at worst with a minor ini file tweak)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My PC has bluescreened twice since installing this earlier in the week, for the first time in years... Seems like I'm not alone in this (and some people have reported its disabled their corsair AIOs?!)

Suprised you've been having so many issues, i've been running 3440x1440 for the last 5 years, and other than a few problems in the first 6 months, I'd say about 95% of games & software I've used since then has worked perfectly (or at worst with a minor ini file tweak)

Perhaps it's the games I play... I dunno but it does appear to suck donkey balls. It's the little things, MS teams for example refuses to share a screen of that resolution so you end up having to share individual windows, I mean the issues just seem to pop up in everything I do. CSGO has issues, Valorant, Fallout everything needs to be fiddled with and adjusted and some things ran non native.

I don't want to mess around to get my nearly 1k monitor to work properly with stuff, I just want it to work!

Soldato

after I installed the game my PC would not stop bluescreening. I've not had one in all the years I have had this PC (4690k so it's been a while!).
I thought it was my OC at first but even at stock it would randomly BS, even when not in game or if I disabled the anti cheat from starting.
I then uninstalled - not an issue since.

Associate
So I'm having a problem that I'm 90% sure HAS to be in my head, but thought I'd see if anyone has noticed it. When I have the lowest ping in the game by quite a long way (15 vs 50 average) I literally cannot buy a frag. I lose 90%+ of aim duels and usually don't even have time to react before I'm dead. This has to just be confirmation bias right? I.e I only notice it when I'm playing badly or against better players...

I haz 4090!
Don
They really need to bring out ranked ASAP, i had a game where everyone on my team were playing like they've never played before, real basic stuff. Got another ace in a 13-2 drubbing.

It happens mate. I played a quick game earlier, 490 combat score and we still lost 13-5. The rest of the team couldn't hit a thing. Forget about it and get into the next game.

Man of Honour
Me and my friends think the same! Like there's some kind of compensation going on that helps out the higher pingers.

So I'm having a problem that I'm 90% sure HAS to be in my head, but thought I'd see if anyone has noticed it. When I have the lowest ping in the game by quite a long way (15 vs 50 average) I literally cannot buy a frag. I lose 90%+ of aim duels and usually don't even have time to react before I'm dead. This has to just be confirmation bias right? I.e I only notice it when I'm playing badly or against better players...

Despite the talk of server side authoritative that sounds a lot like a partial client side history buffer is in use like Battlefield 4 which tends to shift the balance netcode wise towards the average ping on the server and/or average pings around 50-100ms which might sound like a good idea on paper in the name of balance but in practise it sucks. Additionally it does very little to help those on actual bad connections while having a big impact on those with actual excellent connections.

It is a cheap and easy way to do it rather than a proper form of server backwards reconciliation (I'll try and dig out Haste's docs on it at some point). Although you can get very good hit reg by allowing some latency tolerance (some people will complain about dying after going into cover but if it is done right the trade off IMO of a high level of hit registry versus occasional damage registering behind cover on the client is worth it).

EDIT: I'm not volunteering as it is much easier to be critical than actually project lead on this stuff but between that and the anti-cheat approach it sounds like Riot is badly in need of people with a lot of experience in this genre as they are re-covering a lot of old ground though to their credit do seem to be taking the experience on board and addressing it so far rather than just swiftly moving on.

Associate
Despite the talk of server side authoritative that sounds a lot like a partial client side history buffer is in use like Battlefield 4 which tends to shift the balance netcode wise towards the average ping on the server and/or average pings around 50-100ms which might sound like a good idea on paper in the name of balance but in practise it sucks. Additionally it does very little to help those on actual bad connections while having a big impact on those with actual excellent connections.

It is a cheap and easy way to do it rather than a proper form of server backwards reconciliation (I'll try and dig out Haste's docs on it at some point). Although you can get very good hit reg by allowing some latency tolerance (some people will complain about dying after going into cover but if it is done right the trade off IMO of a high level of hit registry versus occasional damage registering behind cover on the client is worth it).

EDIT: I'm not volunteering as it is much easier to be critical than actually project lead on this stuff but between that and the anti-cheat approach it sounds like Riot is badly in need of people with a lot of experience in this genre as they are re-covering a lot of old ground though to their credit do seem to be taking the experience on board and addressing it so far rather than just swiftly moving on.

It seems like a strange way to do it but I guess the objective is fairness for the majority, with the outliers suffering on both sides. Been quite some time since I wrote any networked simulations so I have no idea what the current best practice techniques are, I think the most complicated thing I've ever implemented is basic client prediction. These backwards reconciliation and latency tolerance concepts are beyond my knowledge. The devs wrote a good article about peekers advantage here: https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/game-updates/04-on-peeker-s-advantage-ranked/. Reading that makes perfect sense to me as I often play quite defensive and hold angles and it sounds like vs a player with higher ping that puts me at a bigger than normal disadvantage.

I guess I'll play much more aggressively now. Might also clip some deaths where I get 'insta' peek killed and see how much time I actually had to react.

Soldato
I play sage quite a bit as I like healing and blocking off areas of attack. The amount of abuse I get for not getting as many kills when we end up winning because I heal the person on our team doing 90% of the kills is infuriating. I also block off areas of attack and funnel them to them but because I don't have the kills I get raged at.

Man of Honour
It seems like a strange way to do it but I guess the objective is fairness for the majority, with the outliers suffering on both sides. Been quite some time since I wrote any networked simulations so I have no idea what the current best practice techniques are, I think the most complicated thing I've ever implemented is basic client prediction. These backwards reconciliation and latency tolerance concepts are beyond my knowledge. The devs wrote a good article about peekers advantage here: https://playvalorant.com/en-us/news/game-updates/04-on-peeker-s-advantage-ranked/. Reading that makes perfect sense to me as I often play quite defensive and hold angles and it sounds like vs a player with higher ping that puts me at a bigger than normal disadvantage.

I guess I'll play much more aggressively now. Might also clip some deaths where I get 'insta' peek killed and see how much time I actually had to react.

A lot of it is beyond my active knowledge but I've deep dived on it in the past. Fairness for the majority might sound like a good idea on paper but when it comes to "netcode" if you artifically skew things towards the middle and try and improve things a bit for people on poor connections it tends to actually produce a less ideal outcome where the benefits for those who'd have an OK to poor experience anyway isn't really meaningfully changed while those who'd have a good experience instead see the experience reduced.

Client framerate needs to be very carefully handled - I tend towards the old school method of having a relatively low server update rate and running a lot of stuff on the client at a fixed 2x server update rate except things like damage feedback, it might feel a touch less responsive under ideal conditions but tends to produce an overall more consistent experience which ultimately people can get a feel for and adapt to - older games like Quake 2 that use this kind of approach, combined with some light lag compensation (not a standard feature of the engine), generally feel as good or better than even 60Hz servers in many games despite running a 10Hz server update rate!

I will say Riot seem to be aggressively pursuing the subject and anything you see now is probably still very experimental and subject to changes/improvements but it is a bit frustrating to see they are still re-learning things that have been proved time and time again over the last 20 years or so but at least they don't seem to be just ignoring them like some developers/publishers have been doing.

Last edited:
I haz 4090!
Don
I can't wait for ranked mode to come out. I didn't find the games any more coordinated than unrated, but I like there being something to aim for. I got to plat 2 fairly easily in the beta but I burned out from playing too much and had a break for a couple of weeks before it closed. Want to get back on the ladder now though and see where I can get to.

I get the feeling that even though Reyna may not be so effective at the the top level of play compared to someone like Jett, that she'll be an absolute pub stomper. Her abilities are mental once you hit that first kill.

Permabanned
Eh? Blocking MSI AB? So how do i overclock or turn my fan up to 100%? On a 2080ti blower i might overheat and would lose a lot of performance.

But what really kills this for me is this will run on my kernel when im not playing and needs turned off each time? Seems like a lot or hassle these are steps you take for pros at lan not average joes. There is no way i would grant that kind of permission to RIOT. What you should have done before the launch and negative publicity was ask an actual gamer how they felt. And i would have said go to Nvidia first, Explain the problems with Afterburner and let them put OC and Fan control on the drivers. Maybe then i would ditch my programs to kill hackers but it seems even with this hassle there are still cheats so any interesti bad to download has been totally snuffed out. :(

Back
Top Bottom