*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Caporegime
I didn't care too much for the Steam Deck, I thought it looked awesome, but why would I need one?

Of course all the hype and reviews have made me just stick a reservation down, but I don't really expect to get one for at least 12 months, at which point, is it worth it?

Surely Valve will follow this device up in probably 3 years or so or else they'll start to struggle more with new games.

I should have jumped on this at the start.

Shame there isn't more readily available devices that don't cost a fortune.

Associate
I didn't care too much for the Steam Deck, I thought it looked awesome, but why would I need one?

Of course all the hype and reviews have made me just stick a reservation down, but I don't really expect to get one for at least 12 months, at which point, is it worth it?

Surely Valve will follow this device up in probably 3 years or so or else they'll start to struggle more with new games.

I should have jumped on this at the start.

Shame there isn't more readily available devices that don't cost a fortune.

There are always going to be more powerful devices around in the future, but that applies to any tech. The Steam deck will play older titles with ease, and most people already have a back catalogue of such titles that they have accumulated through sales over the years but never got around to playing. People will also be playing with emulators.

The only thing that concerns me is the battery. I'm assuming it's still glued in place on the retail models, so not exactly very serviceable for most people. Every charge/discharge cycle is one step closer to a battery that won't hold any charge, and if people are playing on the deck a lot, given the power draw, we're going to see dead batteries within a couple of years, if not less.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There are always going to be more powerful devices around in the future, but that applies to any tech. The Steam deck will play older titles with ease, and most people already have a back catalogue of such titles that they have accumulated through sales over the years but never got around to playing. People will also be playing with emulators.

The only thing that concerns me is the battery. I'm assuming it's still glued in place on the retail models, so not exactly very serviceable for most people. Every charge/discharge cycle is one step closer to a battery that won't hold any charge, and if people are playing on the deck a lot, given the power draw, we're going to see dead batteries within a couple of years, if not less.
Just carry around a power bank no? Would extend gameplay to double digits easily then.

Associate
Just carry around a power bank no? Would extend gameplay to double digits easily then.

Yeah, but then it's even less portable than what it already is.

Personally, I'm still on the fence about the deck. My expected delivery window is Q3 so a few months to decide, although I'll still probably get it as it's just a few hundred notes. Still think I'll end up just carrying around my Vita, 2DS XL, 3DS XL, or any of my other Chinese emulation handhelds when portable. The deck will probably only get used whilst sitting on the couch and plugged into the charger.

Associate
Glued battery isn't a big problem for DIY. Having recently replaced the battery in an MS surface, it's possible to remove anything with easily obtainable chemicals. Even easier with gentle heat.

Soldato
Glued battery isn't a big problem for DIY. Having recently replaced the battery in an MS surface, it's possible to remove anything with easily obtainable chemicals. Even easier with gentle heat.

The glued battery doesn't look too bad to replace, there is a slot you can use to get under the battery.

A surface pro on the other hand... yeh even I'd not bother attempting that and I am up for repairing most things. The battery in my SP3 is shot.

Caporegime
Yeah, but then it's even less portable than what it already is.

Personally, I'm still on the fence about the deck. My expected delivery window is Q3 so a few months to decide, although I'll still probably get it as it's just a few hundred notes. Still think I'll end up just carrying around my Vita, 2DS XL, 3DS XL, or any of my other Chinese emulation handhelds when portable. The deck will probably only get used whilst sitting on the couch and plugged into the charger.

Tbf most of the places I'd be sitting long enough to play anything have a charging socket within reach

Soldato

Valve and Microsoft teamed up to better support the Steam Deck, with Xbox Cloud Gaming now supported through the Edge browser.
"We’re particularly excited about this ourselves as we feel it can open new opportunities in the Linux gaming community." — Missy Quarry, Community Manage for Microsoft Edge
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2022/03/microsoft-announce-xbox-cloud-gaming-for-steam-deck-with-edge/

Associate
Very nice :)

Been having a great time with mine, but won’t lie, somewhat tempted to sell it on for a nice juicy profit, they seem to be going for silly amounts on ebay.

In before someone calls me a scalper..

I bought my 512gb with every intention of using it. Then I saw on ebay they are going for 2-3x rrp so I sold mine. In hindsight I wanted the 64gb as its cheaper and you can upgrade the m.2 to 512gb for £50. Yes I made a profit on mine but I feel like where does it end? If it was selling for £10000 on ebay... I could not afford not to sell it. It would effectively be me paying £10000 for a console that I could preorder now for £349.

Which I have done. I've preordered the 64gb and it'll come in Q3. Happy for the bugs to be ironed out and enjoy it then.

If the demand is there at silly prices, I'm the stupid one if I don't capitalise on it, especially in this climate.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
In before someone calls me a scalper..

I bought my 512gb with every intention of using it. Then I saw on ebay they are going for 2-3x rrp so I sold mine. In hindsight I wanted the 64gb as its cheaper and you can upgrade the m.2 to 512gb for £50. Yes I made a profit on mine but I feel like where does it end? If it was selling for £10000 on ebay... I could not afford not to sell it. It would effectively be me paying £10000 for a console that I could preorder now for £349.

Which I have done. I've preordered the 64gb and it'll come in Q3. Happy for the bugs to be ironed out and enjoy it then.

If the demand is there at silly prices, I'm the stupid one if I don't capitalise on it, especially in this climate.
How did you sell yours? Auction or BIN? Also did you take any precautions to avoid scammers? :)

Associate
How did you sell yours? Auction or BIN? Also did you take any precautions to avoid scammers? :)

Buy it now and only accepted offers from those with high feedback. For any high value items on eBay I only do cash on collection and give the item after counting the cash. You get a bit less but at least there's no risk.

Associate
I see, did not know cash on collection was allowed anymore. Did you get any time wasters or did it sell to an honest buyer straight away?

Honest buyer straight away. Came from London about 80 miles. Demand is definitely there. I don't always take the highest offer, just wanted a smooth transaction. I sold it for 1300, seemed I could have got more but o well.

Soldato
Don't really care about scalping on anything tbh. But the hilarity of some on here claiming this device was the second coming and they would use it all the time...when in fact its exactly as expected.

A device that will sit in a cupboard for most of the year asides from a week of initial demoing and holidays.

I paid even more for my luxury device (aya neo pro) to also have it sat in a cupboard doing nothing.

Back
Top Bottom