*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

Update done, doubled checked no more updates. Now formating SD card. Next to install some games.

This has made me feel like a child opening his Christmas present. It reminded me of one of my early memories of opening Mario Bros 3 for the NES under the Christmas tree as a child that my brother got me :D

So just installed 12 games on it to try. No games installed on the internal drive shows 38.5GB free of 46GB. My Micro SD Card shows 167.3GB free of 233.9GB

Those figures are obviously Gibibyte rather than Gigabyte.

So yeah plenty of space as I thought for me. From those games 7 are fully compatible, 2 playable and 3 untested.

Dark Souls 3 seems to be fully supported. Going to install that also now to try. Was not enjoying it much on PC but might be worth trying again on Steam Deck.

Ooh and Deus Ex shows as playable, so installing that also :)

Last edited:
How's the fan noise? Noticeable?

Definitely is. Probably more so than the Switch, but nothing that bothers me. Well, saying that not fired up a game yet :o:D

That said navigation of the menus and everything seems great to me. I remember Linus saying it was not intuitive etc but not had that issue. Maybe they updated it a lot since then but feels great to me.

Right, so up to 17 games installed now, still showing 120GB free so this is working out even better than I expected.

Going to stop installing now and actually fire Resident Evil up :D

Had a quick go of Resident Evil and even though it shows as untested it seems to run with no problems. I agree with the reviews in that speakers definitely do stand out. The noises of the mantion were awesome for a handheld device.

The Steam Deck was pulling between 14-15w running the game and it said a little over 3 hours of play time which I think based on the quality of what I saw was very good.

One of my worries was the low resolution, but based on Resident Evil it is not an issue for me. Will need to try out more games though before I can make up my mind fully. I think as I have so much space, might install something like Witcher 3 and try that.

You played Aperture Desk Job its awesome.
About to try that next shortly :D

How has your experience so far been? For me thus far it has easily met my expectations and in some areas like speakers completely exceeded them.

Excellent for £349 really.

Same blown my expectations really especially compared to the switch that seems such poor value in comparison. With a usb C dock I have found myself just turning it on quickly and browsing the web without my main pc.

The Steam Deck was pulling between 14-15w running the game and it said a little over 3 hours of play time which I think based on the quality of what I saw was very good.

The above was the running 30fps, at 60fps it goes to 17.3w. Which is actually still good as Witcher 3 pulls like 23-24w the brief time I had a go on it.

Witcher 3 looks very good for a handheld, but if I am being honest this type of game which you partly play for the graphics I would not play on this device for my first go as it really does look a lot better on my 4K monitor. But for older games like Resident Evil for example the drop in resolution is a lot less noticeable. Also the size of display probably plays a part in it.

Apeture Desk Job looked very good. Only played for 5 minutes or so as got busy. But looks great in the time I played it.

Same blown my expectations really especially compared to the switch that seems such poor value in comparison. With a usb C dock I have found myself just turning it on quickly and browsing the web without my main pc.
Not tried that yet. Will do later on for sure :)

Haha, gaming on Linux
And Arch-based Linux at that. Who would have thought that several years ago.
Indeed. It is very good what Valve are doing, because if Microsoft keep locking down Windows eventually I may just not bother with them and go Linux for my main rig. Don't like that they are trying to force online accounts. I just want a local account and that's it.

Have either of you docked the Deck to a 4K TV and seen how it fares?
Nope. Might do in a few days.

The above was the running 30fps, at 60fps it goes to 17.3w. Which is actually still good as Witcher 3 pulls like 23-24w the brief time I had a go on it.

Witcher 3 looks very good for a handheld, but if I am being honest this type of game which you partly play for the graphics I would not play on this device for my first go as it really does look a lot better on my 4K monitor. But for older games like Resident Evil for example the drop in resolution is a lot less noticeable. Also the size of display probably plays a part in it.

Apeture Desk Job looked very good. Only played for 5 minutes or so as got busy. But looks great in the time I played it.

Not tried that yet. Will do later on for sure :)

Indeed. It is very good what Valve are doing, because if Microsoft keep locking down Windows eventually I may just not bother with them and go Linux for my main rig. Don't like that they are trying to force online accounts. I just want a local account and that's it.

Nope. Might do in a few days.

What resident evil are you playing ? The 1st one ? mind trying 7 or village ?

Have you got the witcher on the switch ? if so how does it compare ?

I have a OG switch and a OLED switch and coming from OG to OLED the screen size is much better so glad the deck has the same screen size

Games I want to play on Deck:

Disco Elysium
ION Fury
DUSK
HROT
Archolos
Salt and Sanctuary
Gamedec
Tony Hawk Remake
Katana Zero
Neon Abyss
Narita Boy
Nioh
Blacksad
Undertale
Darksiders Genesis

and dozens of others. Basically all the games I own but do not want to play on main PC and TV, I will play on Deck instead.

What resident evil are you playing ? The 1st one ? mind trying 7 or village ?

Have you got the witcher on the switch ? if so how does it compare ?

I have a OG switch and a OLED switch and coming from OG to OLED the screen size is much better so glad the deck has the same screen size
Yea, the first one. Will try village for you when I get the time.

Don’t have W3 on switch, but I am sure it looks better the deck.

I really do think a Steam Deck 2 with a beefier SOC, bigger OLED screen at 1080p (basically get rid of bezel’s) would be fantastic. But to be honest for the games I plan to play the Steam Deck is great.

Games I want to play on Deck:

Disco Elysium
ION Fury
DUSK
HROT
Archolos
Salt and Sanctuary
Gamedec
Tony Hawk Remake
Katana Zero
Neon Abyss
Narita Boy
Nioh
Blacksad
Undertale
Darksiders Genesis

and dozens of others. Basically all the games I own but do not want to play on main PC and TV, I will play on Deck instead.
Don’t think I have any of those. Gamedec was one I was interested in, but then saw the reviews… Nioh I may grab if I ever find it for a fiver or something. Salt and Sanctuary might be one I get eventually. Disco I am not sure of, need to see reviews of again as it may have reviewed very well, but not sure if the story is something I would like.

Yea, the first one. Will try village for you when I get the time.

Don’t have W3 on switch, but I am sure it looks better the deck.

I really do think a Steam Deck 2 with a beefier SOC, bigger OLED screen at 1080p (basically get rid of bezel’s) would be fantastic. But to be honest for the games I plan to play the Steam Deck is great.

Don’t think I have any of those. Gamedec was one I was interested in, but then saw the reviews… Nioh I may grab if I ever find it for a fiver or something. Salt and Sanctuary might be one I get eventually. Disco I am not sure of, need to see reviews of again as it may have reviewed very well, but not sure if the story is something I would like.

Witcher 3 on switch is a blurry mess in my eyes. Yea i think they missed a trick in there 3 models if the 3rd one had an oled screen then no one would have bought tier one and two lol the oled screen on the switch vs the OG is in a different league. im after Q3 for the deck as i didnt bother preordering because it looked like a biffy game gear to me and im still on the fence with design, performance looks fantastic but design not so much. If they had a Oled switch design with deck performance then im sold

Back
Top Bottom