*** The Official Steam Deck Thread ***

I did not buy it to play the latest games, for me it was always about playing older games/indie games which it does no problem. Latest games even if the Steam Deck could play it I would rather play on my PC as it will always look better on a bigger screen with higher resolution. Obviously it would be nice to have the option, but then again say they did make such a model that cost £700 or more I would probably not buy that.

One of the things that make the Steam Deck awesome is the £349 price point. In 2-3 years time they should release one with that is exactly the same with a better SOC and OLED screen with smaller bezels for say £449 I would buy that, but much more than that and it would start becoming less attractive imo. I think such device would easily be possible too. The £100 extra could easily pay for those two upgrades surely. Then after that offer looney prices for those who want super fast nvme in different sizes by doing an Apple. Offer the 256gb nvme version for £549. Want the 2tb option with Gabe’s signature or something? That will be £949 please. You know many with deep pockets will pay, milk those guys and give us the option to have the £449 base version :D

@Mensy RE Village launches and works fine, but you need to really lower settings if you want to hit 60fps. I tried 30 fps and as expected battery usage was around half, but it was not the best experience.

I had a few things on medium, certain things turned off and managed 60fps, but there were some drops into the 50’s which did not bother me. I am actually surprised it run so well. That said who knows how it would perform in certain demanding areas like fighting the vampire ladies.

But being honest a game like that I would play on PC first and then play on the Deck for a second playthrough.

@Mensy RE Village launches and works fine, but you need to really lower settings if you want to hit 60fps. I tried 30 fps and as expected battery usage was around half, but it was not the best experience.

I had a few things on medium, certain things turned off and managed 60fps, but there were some drops into the 50’s which did not bother me. I am actually surprised it run so well. That said who knows how it would perform in certain demanding areas like fighting the vampire ladies.

But being honest a game like that I would play on PC first and then play on the Deck for a second playthrough.
Can you try valheim if you got it?

cheers thanks. what games have you tried so far?

Did you install windows?
Nope. Only had about an hours or so on it, been busy unfortunately.

Will post a list of games in the next day or two.

Tried Resident Evil 2 remake earlier for 5 minutes and it run like a dream. I was proper surprised/impressed.

So one of the community developers has released win 11 for Odin. Bunch of people testing it at Taki's discord.
looks like ayn have shut down production for odin due to covid there was an update today about it.

only for 1 week but it could go longer. its disappointing but there will be problems with every launch for the foreseeable future imo

looks like ayn have shut down production for odin due to covid there was an update today about it.

only for 1 week but it could go longer. its disappointing but there will be problems with every launch for the foreseeable future imo

Yea it's effecting a lot of productions in Shenzhen. Luckily I have my Odin Pro, just waiting on th Deck.

My purchase email for the 512 GB just came through and though I wasn't going get it, I've changed my mind and made the purchase! :D
(The original order was on 16 Jul, 2021 @ 6:01pm BST.)

Thanx for trying mate, yea the Big AAA games will be played on PC 1st, I bought my switch once they mentioned they where porting a lot of old games which i thought would turn out brilliant for me so bought the switch and they have hardly ported many decent 3rd party games if they have they have been poor graphical settings, like blurry doom or really low switcher graphics.

So im looking at this now to play my back catalog on the go or on the couch so the missus and son can have the TV and me still be in the same room lol would love a smaller bezel OLED version tho as the the OLED switch screens is miles better than the original screen

Thanx for trying mate, yea the Big AAA games will be played on PC 1st, I bought my switch once they mentioned they where porting a lot of old games which i thought would turn out brilliant for me so bought the switch and they have hardly ported many decent 3rd party games if they have they have been poor graphical settings, like blurry doom or really low switcher graphics.

So im looking at this now to play my back catalog on the go or on the couch so the missus and son can have the TV and me still be in the same room lol would love a smaller bezel OLED version tho as the the OLED switch screens is miles better than the original screen

Yea. I have had the time to try out quite a few more games and found some to be hard to enjoy due to small text size, small screen and low resolution. These games look awesome when I use Steam Link and cast them from my PC to my iPad Pro, so I know if they got rid of those huge bezels and went 1080p OLED games would look better.

Also have come across some of the bugs I did hear about. Like once it got stuck on a certain screen and I had to hold the power button down for 5 seconds for it shut down so I can boot up again. Another issue I have come across is WiFi keeps cutting out randomly. One I think the WiFi card is a little weak as where my iPad and mobile get full bars the steam deck only get 2 out of 3 and secondly even with two bars it stops working randomly.

It may take another couple of months for Valve to sorts these things out, but overall I am happy I have it now as it is a lot of fun trying out loads of games. Still yet to mess about with desktop mode :D

So I guess my question is that for someone who has a small steam library and it being their first venture into PC gaming (with no desktop PC), is the Deck a purchase one should make?

I’d want to use it like a Switch but fear that the TV experience wouldn’t be as simple as what you get with the Switch so wondering if it’s a purchase that I should be making…

So I guess my question is that for someone who has a small steam library and it being their first venture into PC gaming (with no desktop PC), is the Deck a purchase one should make?

I’d want to use it like a Switch but fear that the TV experience wouldn’t be as simple as what you get with the Switch so wondering if it’s a purchase that I should be making…
My honest opinion based on what I have seen is in its current state it does not offer as polished experience as the Switch. They have done a fantastic job with what's there and it will continue to get better all the time, but I think it will probably won't be until the Steam Deck 2 is out in a couple of years time they get to a proper fully polished product.

The Switch is a closed platform at the end of the day, so it is not an easy task for Valve.

I had a go of Prey earlier and boy does that look and run great on the Steam Deck. So when the devs put the time in to optimise for the Deck the results are truly great. But that will take time and many devs for older games won't bother, so don't expect being able to have every single steam game run flawlessly.

It is a work in progress and I think they have done a very good job getting this out of the door into gamers hands at the price point they did. Now they can work on optimising the experience.

I can see the Steam Deck 2 being on another level if they get rid of the bezels and go OLED at 1080p. By then they will have a huge catalogue of optimised games available also. Plus most new games coming out now will likely be optimised on release :)

I thought you was into Stadia anyway? Does that not play games on TV and mobile devices :p;)

Yea. I have had the time to try out quite a few more games and found some to be hard to enjoy due to small text size, small screen and low resolution. These games look awesome when I use Steam Link and cast them from my PC to my iPad Pro, so I know if they got rid of those huge bezels and went 1080p OLED games would look better.

Also have come across some of the bugs I did hear about. Like once it got stuck on a certain screen and I had to hold the power button down for 5 seconds for it shut down so I can boot up again. Another issue I have come across is WiFi keeps cutting out randomly. One I think the WiFi card is a little weak as where my iPad and mobile get full bars the steam deck only get 2 out of 3 and secondly even with two bars it stops working randomly.

It may take another couple of months for Valve to sorts these things out, but overall I am happy I have it now as it is a lot of fun trying out loads of games. Still yet to mess about with desktop mode :D

Yea one can dream, hopefully that dream comes true with the Deck 2, 1080p Oled screen longer battery life.
Will probably still get one and by the time they email me santa will probably be due and most bugs ironed out haha

Back
Top Bottom