Valve announces the SteamDeck

Soldato
I paid for mine Tuesday afternoon (last week) and it came on Monday this week. Fingers crossed you might have it by Friday but more likely next Monday

Good to know razer, thanks! Got a long flight to Vegas a week on Monday so looking forward to using it during that flight and was hoping I'd receive it by then.

Soldato
My Steam Deck has arrived...it's big :cry: Completing the initial setup currently, will download a few games and provide some pics and impressions.

First impressions however are good, despite the size it's very comfortable. More so than my Switch. The screen seems very good (256GB model) and the fact it comes with a very impressive carry case is ideal.

Associate
My Steam Deck has arrived...it's big :cry: Completing the initial setup currently, will download a few games and provide some pics and impressions.

First impressions however are good, despite the size it's very comfortable. More so than my Switch. The screen seems very good (256GB model) and the fact it comes with a very impressive carry case is ideal.

good to see they keep being sent out let us know what games you install how they are any first impressions etc

just another 4-6 months for me lol

Soldato
good to see they keep being sent out let us know what games you install how they are any first impressions etc

just another 4-6 months for me lol

Well right now I'm going for the 'Great on Deck' option in Elden Ring and 'Unconfirmed' Resident Evil 2 as two sides of the support coin.

I will say the Wifi download speeds are terrific. Download speed limit however appears bugged and when dialled in throttles you way down much further than requested. Wanted to limit to 5MB and ended up at 650kb approximately.

TD8XY1u.jpg
0lzbs6m.jpg
XSTLvdV.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Elden Ring installed, defaulted to High settings - between 35-50 fps in less open world areas and then between 25-30 fps in the open world. Thoroughly impressed with the brief 20 minutes I've played on it so far and the speakers are really good as well. Will mess around with FSR after realising I need to lower the resolution first before it becomes active. Should be able to get an easy solid 30fps in the game with a good fidelity level.

iJ3WJn7.jpg

Soldato
It's impressive that it runs but it blows my mind that anyone would want to take such a visually stunning game and play it on a tiny little postcard sized screen... I guess maybe on a 2nd playthrough or something but feels like you are losing out so much

Soldato
It's impressive that it runs but it blows my mind that anyone would want to take such a visually stunning game and play it on a tiny little postcard sized screen... I guess maybe on a 2nd playthrough or something but feels like you are losing out so much

So it would actually be a 2nd playthrough for myself, first one was actually completed on PS5. Great thing about the Steam Deck is the cloud save function where you can simply pick up on the main PC after you've made progress during travel/commuting.

Soldato
Resident Evil 2 installed...not on the supported list and runs perfectly! Few tweaks on the settings and you're set for 60fps locked. However if battery life is what you're after then slap the 30fps cap on and the estimation looks great.

Elden Ring - High for most settings, 15w max power selected, 30FPS lock on Battery approx. 2-2.5hrs
Resident Evil 2 - High for most settings, 15w max power selected, 30FPS lock on Battery approx. 3.5-4hrs

This demonstrates how much time you're going to get out of the battery depending on the game stressing the GPU. If you raise the FPS cap to 60 for RE2 you'd be looking at a similar time on battery as Elden Ring.

I'm really impressed so far with the Steam Deck, played around an hour on Elden Ring, took on a dungeon boss, started to progress up the beginning path and it was great to play on. I'll need to dial in some additional settings as it became bogged down (25fps) in very frantic fights with multiple enemies/spirits called in but great first impression. FSR doesn't really work properly yet for it however as you need to lower the res, when you do so it doesn't scale to the screen so that's annoying. Didn't try FSR on RE2 as it didn't need it.

Soldato
The last set of emails for Q1 have just been sent out! If your expected order availability was Q1, be sure to check your email or the desktop Steam app.

Starting next week we will begin sending out order emails for Q2 (April-June) reservations.

Back
Top Bottom