Valve announces the SteamDeck

Man of Honour
There’s loads of titles that aren’t verified that work, just go on YouTube and search for the game(s) you’re after and there’s already loads. For instance I believe GTA works really well on it.

Yeah I’ll take a look, also really attracted to the Emulation performance of this thing, fed up having mobiles and things that top out with GameCube!

Associate
I feel like there is an element of fomo going on here. One of the biggest selling points for the steam deck is the price, once you whack a few hundred extra quid on and you've suddenly got a load of competition, many of which have better specs.

I do have the feeling though that the queue isn't quite as long as people think. Lots of people are making a lot of them only being through 20 mins of ordering going live. But I wouldn't be surprised if like 75% of the orders came in the first hour, and were going to start seeing those order times getting later and later pretty soon.
Valve claimed that production is ramping up as well. And I think its telling that amd just announced new laptop chips with suspiciously similar specs to the steamdeck soc. So I do think paying over the odds now is gonna feel like a waste in a few months time. Or at least I hope that is the case.

Soldato
I feel like there is an element of fomo going on here. One of the biggest selling points for the steam deck is the price, once you whack a few hundred extra quid on and you've suddenly got a load of competition, many of which have better specs.

I do have the feeling though that the queue isn't quite as long as people think. Lots of people are making a lot of them only being through 20 mins of ordering going live. But I wouldn't be surprised if like 75% of the orders came in the first hour, and were going to start seeing those order times getting later and later pretty soon.
Valve claimed that production is ramping up as well. And I think its telling that amd just announced new laptop chips with suspiciously similar specs to the steamdeck soc. So I do think paying over the odds now is gonna feel like a waste in a few months time. Or at least I hope that is the case.
If you remember the launch day, A LOT of us couldnt purchase it as the servers were being hammered and many including me were constantly getting payment failed at the last hurdle or steam not adding the steam deck in our baskets at all. This is why i only managed to go through an hour or so after the release date and time...

Soldato
Did you just kept clicking on continue button on the payment screen?

Can't even get the "reserve now" button working :rolleyes:

Im stuck on the payment method screen just an endless loop

It's now telling me that payment is failing to initialise

Utterly useless. Ive been trying every second since 6pm and just hitting a brick wall of errors.

finally got my order pushed through
see here.

Many of us struggled to order on 6pm on the dot

Caporegime

Actually no.
There's no available competitor which uses RDNA GPU.

So it's not until you spend a fortune on a handheld doing 29W that you beat the Steam Deck.

The Steam Deck at £600 for the 64GB is still a killer hand held compared to the competition, add in the Steam control stuff and all of a sudden you've got something that can retro game better than a Windows PC for a lot of old titles.

The Aya Neo Air at £600 will perform wayyy worse than the deck (Albeit better in certain areas like screen)

Associate
I feel like you guys are agreeing with me, after the first hour the order servers seemed to quiet down a lot, as @jonneymendoza says.

And yeah if you were to spend the 1100ish quid that the 512gb steamdeck is going for on ebay you do start running into handhelds that can put up a fight with it as @Martini1991 says.

Look im not saying I don't think tge steam deck is great and I definitely want one. I just really don't think paying scalpers is going to do anything but hurt your wallet. Specially now that were a few months in and are long past the "being one of the first to get thier hands on it" phase of the roll out and the queues are getting shorter and shorter.

Associate
Yep! Well.. mine went through just after 6pm. So I was happy

Checked phone later and they issued a refund for it as something went wrong so I then reordered at like 20:30 :( so I'm a ways off yet
i had a similar experience i got an email at around 9ish to say my order had failed and they needed more info logged back in re ordered and it worked but that was around 21.15pm so still a long way to go for me

i have another handheld to keep me occupied for afew months.

Caporegime
I feel like you guys are agreeing with me, after the first hour the order servers seemed to quiet down a lot, as @jonneymendoza says.

And yeah if you were to spend the 1100ish quid that the 512gb steamdeck is going for on ebay you do start running into handhelds that can put up a fight with it as @Martini1991 says.

Look im not saying I don't think tge steam deck is great and I definitely want one. I just really don't think paying scalpers is going to do anything but hurt your wallet. Specially now that were a few months in and are long past the "being one of the first to get thier hands on it" phase of the roll out and the queues are getting shorter and shorter.

You don't need to go to Ebay to get one.
I'd just go to CEX and buy a B Grade 256GB one for £750 gives you 2 years warranty etc.

Hell they're littered all over Facebook too.

Thing is being scalped to the moon and back.

I didn't place an order till March as I waited for reviews, I'd much rather be scalped to actually own one, rather than wait an unknown amount of time.
The queue isn't getting shorter and shorter, the 512GB UK queue has moved about half an hour.........

Soldato
Had a look at their ”compatibility list” surprised to see only about 8 of my titles listed as “Deck Verified“ and 3 of those are Half Life 2, HL2 Lost Coast & HL2 Episode 2….
Huh, out of my 1060 games on steam, 250 are already verified and plenty more are perfectly playable too (incl. stuff like Cyberpunk or Kingdom Come).

It is still stupid to want something so bad you are willing to pay double for it...

Its a bloody handheld game console....

Money is relative, if someone has ton of it, they don't have to care as much about the cost.

Soldato
I wouldn't knock anyone for paying over the odds for one, but as someone else said, once you start adding a few hundred quid on top of the RRP you're entering a more powerful tier of existing products.

Caporegime
I wouldn't knock anyone for paying over the odds for one, but as someone else said, once you start adding a few hundred quid on top of the RRP you're entering a more powerful tier of existing products.

Where?

Because of the RDNA in the steam deck it's extremely powerful.

Name a product one can buy right now for £800 that's better?

Soldato
Where?

Because of the RDNA in the steam deck it's extremely powerful.

Name a product one can buy right now for £800 that's better?
GPD Win 3? Certainly a more usable form factor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm getting one to see what it's like, but it's not the be all and end all, certainly when you have people paying 1k for them.

Caporegime
GPD Win 3? Certainly a more usable form factor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm getting one to see what it's like, but it's not the be all and end all, certainly when you have people paying 1k for them.

I can't see a GPD Win 3 for £800 (And I don't know if I'd want to buy something like this from Ali express lol)
And again, it has to smash up to like 29W to sometimes beat out the 15W Steam Deck, and then you've got driver considerations to take into account.

Honestly, if someone ships an RDNA 2 device at £800 then by all means, the Steam deck isn't worth it at all, but right now that's not the case and even the scalped prices still get you a solid device at that price point.

I only stop myself buying a steam deck from CEX because I'm concerned about the current cost of living lol.

Soldato
I can't see a GPD Win 3 for £800.
And again, it has to smash up to like 29W to sometimes beat out the 15W Steam Deck, and then you've got driver considerations to take into account.

Honestly, if someone ships an RDNA 2 device at £800 then by all means, the Steam deck isn't worth it at all, but right now that's not the case and even the scalped prices still get you a solid device at that price point.

I only stop myself buying a steam deck from CEX because I'm concerned about the current cost of living lol.
You can if you buy direct - they're actually very good to deal with.

My plan is to see how I like the Steam Deck, and either keep it or scalp it and buy a Win 3 with the money. The Win 4 will probably out before the Steam Deck is easily available.

I'll confess to being a little, tiny, bit of a GPD fanboy so may be biased :)

Back
Top Bottom