Valve announces the SteamDeck

Associate
160mhz on 5ghz works great here on my Netgear RAX200, my router only supports wifi 6 not 6e. Pretty much maxes out my VM download speed. Ran the test on the desktop with Chrome.

Also ended up removing the entire left trackpad and reseating it, all the screws seemed pretty tight but after putting it all back together I'd say there is an 80% improvement to the point where it's extremely close to the right pads haptic feedback sound and feel, not perfect but vastly better than the rattling sound it was before.

Valve definitely has some QC issues to deal with on this version, but my god this OLED panel is nice :D

53350859042_7d45b888b3_b.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
160mhz on 5ghz works great here on my Netgear RAX200, my router only supports wifi 6 not 6e. Pretty much maxes out my VM download speed. Ran the test on the desktop with Chrome.

Also ended up removing the entire left trackpad and reseating it, all the screws seemed pretty tight but after putting it all back together I'd say there is an 80% improvement to the point where it's extremely close to the right pads haptic feedback sound and feel, not perfect but vastly better than the rattling sound it was before.

Valve definitely has some QC issues to deal with on this version, but my god this OLED panel is nice :D

53350859042_7d45b888b3_b.jpg
Are you sure there isn’t some sort of gasket they’ve missed under the trackpad?

I’ll try mine on 160mhz then, on the original SSD before I fit mine in.

Last edited:
Associate
Had a look and there is nothing there, the trackpad is just one large enclosed piece with four screws holding it down, one on each corner, once screwed in it does have a bit of room to wiggle (both sides do) so perhaps it may have been just close enough to one the sides to cause it to rattle, will keep an eye on it but it seems to be ok for now.

I have a few devices using the 160mhz band so I'm glad it works as I don't want to turn that off. With my router I set it up years ago so instead of the one SSID I split the 2x 5ghz on one SSID and 1x 2.4ghz frequency on it's own SSID as I don't want the devices to pick either 5ghz or 2.4ghz automatically, so the deck is definitely using the 5ghz 160mhz band as it has no other choice.

Last edited:
Associate
Looking at the Steam Deck reddit posts, it seems like the LE version has the most dead pixels, the regular 512GB and 1TB seem to be far less effected. Wonder if the LE is using a panel from a different manufacturer.

So much for LE, if Valve does an RMA on most of those I bet that's going to be a pain if they end up replacing them fully instead of just changing out the screens.

Soldato
What was the issue with the Wifi chip in the LCD model?
I've never had an issue with downloads on my 500Mbps fibre service. Speedtest hits close to 500Mbps down and ~300Mbps up. Downloads hit 60MB/s
This is using a pretty standard Hyperoptic router for 2021 (Nokia HA-140W-B)

Soldato
Mines only at the second stage 'in transit' in Netherlands. Going to be at least Wednesday I expect
same.

my mates one got to that stage 7 hrs AFTER mine yet it is out for delivery today.

mine has been in NL/dead since 22nd

the delivery is horrid for these. Literally 0 consistency.

Last edited:
Associate
Mines is nearby in Edinburgh depot. Guessing I'll get it today or Monday. Who cares either way, it's not like my life depends on it.
My life pretty much does depend on it, my wife is watching British bake off & i’m a celeb in the evenings currently, and I have no deck to play on! :mad:

I might commit suicide if I watch anymore of that crap TV! :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there a dead pixel return policy on the oled deck?

I only ordered mine on the 22nd and so I’ve still a bit to wait. I’m not in a rush but hopefully it’ll be this side of Xmas :)

Soldato
Couldn't be more impressed with mine - not had time to game on it much yet, but it's a lovely device and the screen is stunning. I was thinking that I'd try it out, realise I wouldn't use it due to my Series X, and sell it on, but it's so impressive that the Series X is now at real risk!

Back
Top Bottom