Valve Index VR

Associate
Its probably true your brain in the heat of immersion may or may not alter your perception of the image and that is going to vary from person to person/game to game, but barrel distortion shouldn't be there at all especially when you're paying over 2k for a top of the range product and as consumer we shouldn't be making excuses for them... that's my view. Otherwise you might as well levy the same argument on image quality vs a Quest 2 and have done with it.

Associate
Its probably true your brain in the heat of immersion may or may not alter your perception of the image and that is going to vary from person to person/game to game, but barrel distortion shouldn't be there at all especially when you're paying over 2k for a top of the range product and as consumer we shouldn't be making excuses for them... that's my view. Otherwise you might as well levy the same argument on image quality vs a Quest 2 and have done with it.
I think the barrel distortion is a result of using aspheric lenses, its pretty much inherent so its unavoidable. They have tried to rid of it via software, some say its reduced, but its definitely not yet gone. No headset is perfect and barrel distortion is mainly where the Aero is imperfect (and no audio, and the price :D). I don't think i'll notice it as i don't notice the distorsion my 8kx is supposed to have.

Does seem a little unusual that a thread about Valve Index seems to have spent most of its time talking about the Oculus Quest. Not a complaint, just an observation :)
It got steered onto Quest as that was what several posters (me included) were recommending OP buy instead of an Index. Now its about Varjo Aero and about being off topic :D

Associate
Well Index is done now anyway... The tech has moved on, what we all really want to hear about is Index2/Deckard from the Valve camp nothing much from CES unfortunately I think we are still 1yr away

Soldato
It got steered onto Quest as that was what several posters (me included) were recommending OP buy instead of an Index. Now its about Varjo Aero and about being off topic :D

:D It hasn't bothered me. I'm just browsing some of the active VR threads as I'm considering buying a headset this year with the Quest being the most likely as I don't want a wired device, but not until the Facebook account requirement is gone which I read 'should' be sometime this year. The only other real issue I have is that I use Linux so am also having to look at alternative software solutions. As someone that regularly suffers from motion sickness every time I watch, or try to play, any FPS game I expect I'll also have that to look forward to when I do actually try VR :)

Associate
Well Index is done now anyway... The tech has moved on, what we all really want to hear about is Index2/Deckard from the Valve camp nothing much from CES unfortunately I think we are still 1yr away

I would love to see Index2/Deckard.

But as far as the tech moving on? Index still sells well, demand is still there.

For some, it has the best controllers (despite reliability issues with the thumbsticks)

It has highest FoV of any entry level wired headset.

Uses SteamVR tracking which hasn't been beaten by anything regarding full body tracking / 360 tracking

Audio is best in class

Comfort for most is optimal

Ideally it would come down in price to reflect its age, but it's by no means "done" unless you're looking only at resolution (HP Reverb G2, but WMR), only wireless (Meta Quest, but Facebook, comfort, and compression), only FoV (Pimax.....), only lens (Varjo Aero, no audio, high entry price).....

The Index still ticks enough boxes as a capable allrounder to keep it up there with the current release. Perhaps the next Quest Pro offering will finally persuade Valve to lower the Index price. Until then, index keeps selling.

Soldato
I've got an Index, and it's probably the best wired PC headset all-round. It's not the highest resolution any more, but the large FOV is probably its best feature, as it's so immersive.

I tend to use it for more detailed PC games over my Quest 2 simply because it's a very sharp display compared to the compression of the Quest 2's Airlink or Link connection.

The knuckle controllers aren't hugely better than the Quest 2's, and are worse in some ways - the button and stick layout is less comfortable due to the trackpad placement, and the grip sensor is very finickly. The finger tracking is nice but hardly any games use it.

Still a great system though, and I can't see myself getting rid of it until there's a much better VR headset released. I see the Quest 2 as complimentary rather than a replacement, as it has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Associate
:D It hasn't bothered me. I'm just browsing some of the active VR threads as I'm considering buying a headset this year with the Quest being the most likely as I don't want a wired device, but not until the Facebook account requirement is gone which I read 'should' be sometime this year. The only other real issue I have is that I use Linux so am also having to look at alternative software solutions. As someone that regularly suffers from motion sickness every time I watch, or try to play, any FPS game I expect I'll also have that to look forward to when I do actually try VR :)
I think the vive pro 2 can do wireless as well but i also think its much more expensive and has its detractors for reasons i can't remember. You have the wireless arpara all-in-one which is supposed to start shipping in march, apparently the screens are a bit dim (although theyre trying to fix this) but its micro oled so great blacks and very high clarity. But yeah the quest 2 for wireless is what most go for, but like u say it requires FB. I'm sure i've heard of people using them with linux. If u slowly build up your vr legs to reduce nausea i think you'll overcome it.

Soldato
I've got an Index, and it's probably the best wired PC headset all-round. It's not the highest resolution any more, but the large FOV is probably its best feature, as it's so immersive.

I tend to use it for more detailed PC games over my Quest 2 simply because it's a very sharp display compared to the compression of the Quest 2's Airlink or Link connection.

The knuckle controllers aren't hugely better than the Quest 2's, and are worse in some ways - the button and stick layout is less comfortable due to the trackpad placement, and the grip sensor is very finickly. The finger tracking is nice but hardly any games use it.

Still a great system though, and I can't see myself getting rid of it until there's a much better VR headset released. I see the Quest 2 as complimentary rather than a replacement, as it has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Read on the oculus forum that it appears the oculus integration into the steamvr code hasn't been done very well. Costs oculus a chunk of performance over the index in steam games. Suspect they'll look to optimize that as oculus headsets gain more share, otherwise people will start buying more at the oculus store.

Soldato
Read on the oculus forum that it appears the oculus integration into the steamvr code hasn't been done very well. Costs oculus a chunk of performance over the index in steam games. Suspect they'll look to optimize that as oculus headsets gain more share, otherwise people will start buying more at the oculus store.

Conversely, quite a few Oculus exclusives work way better on the Quest 2 than using Revive on the Index, mainly for performance reasons, though in some cases the grip mechanism can require tweaking on the index side. It's not all games though. Some work amazingly well - Robo Recall for example.

Soldato
Looks very likely to be a wireless SteamVR headset. I doubt if it's standalone though. More likely PC streamed via a dedicated access point dongle optimized for wireless VR, like Airbridge.

Back
Top Bottom