Vault 111 by PEXON

Which one was that dude? I didn't see it

I'd be delighted to build you one lol I've had so much fun doing this build, more so than any other build or case I've modded before

Ahhh yes! I did see that build, its a nice enough build, but its way to shiny for my liking.

I will look into that gauge idea, that sounds sick. Maybe something like a unit that reacts to the wattage being used or something that reacts to sound? Would be cool at LAN! :D Any ideas on this front would be sick. I'm going to have a look on ebay now. Need to find something that works of 12v or 5v off the PSU might be a challenge though.

Keechy, I'm really not sure at the moment, its a tough decision. I am planning on using Copper pipe so I am not sure if the blue and yellow will go?

I missed the preorder :(

I do know of a place in the US that sells molded versions. I may have to pick one up. The thing is, its just the model, nothing else, so I would have to make a faux screen.

Sure I've seen them over on Instructables but lot of digital ones, I'll have a hunt around the net.

Wonder if something like this would do, its also illuminated.

http://www.multimeter.com/products/1636-al15-retro-led-illuminated/

That would be awesome, its a little pricy but hey, if its going to add that little something extra, I don't mind.

I did order some dials and toggles to be used on the front panel of the case. I've got a digital volt meter, this probably won't fit in, but we will see. I also have a retro meter for the voltage and some illuminated figher pilot style toggles.

I have some ideas for a plaque that will be applied to the rear panel, like an official Vault-tec/ requisition order panel type thing...

NmeDHkkh.jpg

RKBXXFch.jpg

N0aHUQNh.jpg

Any feedback on these is appreciated, they are just ideas at the moment. Getting one of these cut out with a laser cutter or engraved onto a sheet of mild steel would be awesome.

I did have another go at some ideas this morning. I couldn't sleep so I was up til 5 watching old CS 1.6 LAN finals lol.

I managed to find a place that can smash out cheap plaques in cast acrylic for like 4 quid, so some smaller ones would be nice. The larger one seems hard to get done for a reasonable price. I can get one done in brass, which would be nice, but prices are like 40 quid.

Well.. no response from either of the places I contact in regards to the brass plaque :(

Anyway, small update ahoy!

My toggle switch came in. It looks proper awesome! It came with a fighter pilot style missle switch, as well as an old school on/off faschia.

zLYrlrFh.jpg

bh5aCgoh.jpg

I also thought the front 5.25" bays would be a great place for one of the Vault 111 vinyl stickers.

dDhSB2Ih.jpg

and after some nice weathering...

KVqlrpkh.jpg

lXnwRpnh.jpg

Lc5kvh7h.jpg

9A5lpRkh.jpg

oMXu7tNh.jpg

Shame the font is not quite there to fit in with the style, its more Bioshock styled

I, personally prefer the fighter pilot style switch, so I weathered that first.

lwmNYzDh.jpg

udWc2zFh.jpg

e71ZPrrh.jpg

I also managed to get a plaque for the window side panel sorted out. There was a spare piece of steel that came off one of the panels of the case, I think it could have been on the front, but I have no idea, there is so much to the case!

I sanded the powder coating off and using a 9v battery, 2 wires (9v and ground), dipped the ground into a salt water solution and a cotton bud and starting randomly etching into the steel. There was some sweet grime coming off and after about 20 minutes, I got something I was happy with.

GG7YRBfh.jpg

The vinyl stickers were applied before the etching and weathered once I was finished.

2fA0bQNh.jpg

The white spots are from some 3M spray on contact adhesive which was then light aflame using a Turbo lighter to create the burn marks and add some more gnar to the look of the plaque.

I used the same lighter to take off some of the shine of the vinyl sticker, I deliberately went too far on some of the edges, randomly to ensure a natural, weathered look!

Thanks for stopping by. I also got some work on wiring the bottom 4 fans too, will update tomorrow!

Cheers,

James

It was just a cheapo eBay jobbie, 2 quid delivered! There are a lot on there, not designed for PC switches but I tried it with an old PSU with the green and a black wire and it switches it on no issues.

haha no, I just make cables. Thanks for the comment though, this is just my first time doing it. I did a little bit of research on the etching thing, but I've got a workshop with various tools and worked in mechanical engineering for a few years before I started Pexon, so I've got a little bit of experience on that side of things

Hey guys, time for another update.

First off, I managed to find another vinyl sticker I got made up and never found a use for...

gPv8ctrh.jpg

SocGl9nh.jpg

6fOt864h.jpg

Weathered up with sand paper, lighter and some ink

02RRnvnh.jpg

ijeqrKUh.jpg

BJjPuyqh.jpg

1F2K6Tgh.jpg

imKNmqJh.jpg

Next up I manged to get another toggle fighter pilot style switch in. This one will just be for decoration

Soldered the wires up, so the LED can be wired up to a 9v battery.

MYDma6qh.jpg

Mb1zYIlh.jpg

eJkNMDYh.jpg

TRIiHjKh.jpg

tllMZ5Hh.jpg

6Okccaih.jpg

2sHn3wkh.jpg

9bFKL04h.jpg

O33JnCOh.jpg

M0nKKBAh.jpg

aTiY7iVh.jpg

Next up, time for cables! :D

lBPaIyQh.jpg

Double wires and jumpers on the cables will be done with clear shrink and ink for weathering

QwuWKSWh.jpg

BOOM!

OhC6DMgh.jpg

pF06OFqh.jpg

Ha2XlGYh.jpg

M7dghwqh.jpg

5auUgL2h.jpg

All working first time with everything but the -5v lit (20th pin, not used on any PSUs anymore), so all good here :)

GtPDJsrh.jpg

3USqz1Rh.jpg

3qwYVa3h.jpg

Now.... bare with me, I went a little overboard with the weathering on the cables .....

Pbjv1YJh.jpg

hyiZzroh.jpg

vOr9njsh.jpg

9UzilZWh.jpg

aZ3JWveh.jpg

8NNQg5Xh.jpg

I used some electrical tape on the 2nd wire that took more weathering than the other wires, to make it look like someone has tried to repair the loom.

6WB5bObh.jpg

If its too OTT, I can easily change it... some feedback would be great!

As always, thanks for stopping by!

James

Yup, plan of knackering up the connectors too, don't worry about that ;)

I will just link to the methods I used, honestly, its really not difficult. But sure, I will see if I can get a video sorted at some point

Back
Top Bottom