Vault 111 by PEXON

Associate
OP
The switches are in an upright position when they are on 360 :)

I ran out of time yesterday, I finished up at past 10 PM and had been in the workshop for 15 odd hours, so I couldn't get anymore done. I will be weathering the cables up some more over the weekend.

Associate
OP
Time for another small update, nothing massive as I've had a very busy weekend!

I done some carnage to the PSU!

6yyC4BOh.jpg

W4edp2ch.jpg

d7ad5Lzh.jpg

cyfHrHEh.jpg

I need to get another set of hex keys to take off the PSU cover, I lost all my dinky ones. I don't want to go too ham on the weathering and get any metallic dust or any of the powder coat inside the PSU and cause issues.

wnYaZtPh.jpg

I also manged to distress the clear connectors, simply sanded random patches and used some ink to make some runs, to ensure it fits in with the theme. Its reallly hard to get some pics of the connectors when its late night in the workshop

DC8NwFIh.jpg

OLtQXH8h.jpg

Again, sorry for the small update, I just want to keep the thread up to date!

Thanks for looking.

James/pex

Associate
OP
Thanks man! I did have a go at more weathering and I will be uploading more pics soon. Bleach sounds like a good idea, I need something to strip more of the colour out of the sleeving

Associate
OP
Cheers for the comments guys!

Just wondering where to go now.

I am wondering what CPU and motherboard to go for with Skylake being announced. Selling some old keyboard stuff to make some funds available

Associate
OP
Hey guys! Time for another update and another very awesomely epic update.

I am very proud to announce that MSI have been so gracious been so gracious to offer support the project.

vtqFuk0h.jpg

GmrtRs6l.jpg

8RVPPAfl.jpg

Cl8spTCl.jpg

cYMpP2kl.jpg

Wjl80Eal.jpg

q6vfyTRl.jpg

Iflb7Uml.jpg

NXtKv5rl.jpg

HUGE thank you to Tom @ MSI UK for helping out with the project. I will be ordering the CPU immediately and the mobo should be in tomorrow. Once all the gear is tested, the watercooling and weathering can commence! Not going to enjoy weathering such nice expensive gear, but it has to be done to fit in with the theme.

Since the last update, I've been so busy with work, but I did manage to get a few things done, namely some accessories, Nuka Cola bottle and other items I am still working on/ wondering how to finish.

CKUL4igl.jpg

bAgwq2Xl.jpg

ggfV3WKl.jpg

BIG thanks to Chris at Overclockers for sorting this awesome little 3-D printed Vault-Boy out too!

18mVeA7l.jpg

Thanks so much for looking, hopefully some more updates soon!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey guys, time for another update!

The new board arrived on friday afternoon. The B150 is potentially an interim board as the z170M version has been delayed. If the Z170 doesn't come through, I will just stick with the B150. I plan on using the 6600K with it, even compared to my current 2500K and 280X, the 980ti and 6000K will blow it out the water, good job considering I am going 4K.

DSTjBwch.jpg

6pva98Qh.jpg

G4yq8Emh.jpg

0ChteoZh.jpg

u9DITnlh.jpg

The awesome reinforced PCI-e slot

wEwHMfoh.jpg

Going to test the board and the GPU before I go to town with the weathering on the heatsinks

wEwHMfoh.jpg

PPLjQ30h.jpg

EI96W0Xh.jpg

rMcuiaRh.jpg

MwkEMToh.jpg

BBvBv7Vh.jpg

hEo8xUqh.jpg

09NlUDdh.jpg

88oXQGkh.jpg

QQlmYNjh.jpg

lghUj80h.jpg

UlX88RKh.jpg

Thanks for looking guys.

Again, a HUGE thank you to MSI for supporting this project

Associate
OP
A few people have suggested that. I don't know if that would work well for this build, I did think of hiding a tiny res inside a coke bottle. I don't like the idea of drilling at tapping glass.

Associate
OP
Hey guys, making some serious progress with the build now! On the final stretch! :D

Aquatuning have been very kind and supplied the rest of the wet gear to get the rig finished

ecz3zZIh.jpg

N39QHtOh.jpg

8Lm00Pfh.jpg

uz2oQcch.jpg

Q8f2FS6h.jpg

2gO2qb4h.jpg

QM7aQWxh.jpg

The cleary blue coolant will look bang on I reckons, as I am just going with clear floppy tubing, the blue LEDs and lights will compliment it well.

5YKQJZGh.jpg

Smashed the rad up in double quick time and got it installed with the out and inputs on the top. The tubing routing is a nightmare, I knew watercooling in this case (although its large) was going to be a PITA as nothing is in the right place, hence the reason I chose it, its quirky :D

bbpMZA6h.jpg

WA74mhBh.jpg

I have to have a look around for a little male to male G1/4" extender in order to mount the res on-top of the pump, space in the bottom chamber is a little sparse. I can mount the res on top to keep it relatively tidy.

Also managed to borrow some ram to test the parts

tRm5vCzh.jpg

And managed to get a braided IEC cable made

iGFNBUbh.jpg

OeEPIibh.jpg

rgAPDSAh.jpg

I also met Vault Boy at Eurogamer this weekend too!

KP58oxQh.jpg

Thanks for looking guys

Associate
OP
Cheers guys.

I have no idea what to do to the W/cing parts. Probably just rough them up a little, make a sticker for the res and do something interesting with the backplate for the GPU. I did think about using some long nose pliers to tighten all the fittings up and 'accidentally' slip to mark the fittings and ruin the knurlings, little touches like that .

Associate
OP
How about get some opaque plastic film, add double sided tape to one side. Then cut the film into very thin jagged strips, peel off the double sided tape and place around the res picking a central "point of impact" so it appears to be cracked in a radial fashion. Back light the res for better effect, although this largely depends on your coolant colour and opacity of course.

If it looks pants, then at least its easily undone :D

EDIT: I see there phone screen protectors that have fake cracks to pranks your mates, might be easier with that...

Cracks in the res is a damn good idea. I will have too have a look online for those screen protectors XD

Associate
OP
Yea, thats a damn good idea. One thought was to use different colour tubing for certain parts of the loop, but I think that would look too OTT.

I will deffo see if I can fake distress the tubing though

Associate
OP
Been a while since my last update, but I've been busy with work. I have still managed to get a fair amount of work done though. All the watercooling gear is in now, bar the GPU block. EK only included 4x screws for mounting the block, great. I've opened up a support ticket, but I've yet to have a response. If needs be, to get the rig full of water and leak tested, I will go to the local James Listers and get some of the M3 DIN screws tomorrow. Pretty annoying, but hey, you can't account for these things; I'm not too happy considering I ordered it last week with 1 day DHL express and it didn't turn up til Friday :/

The routing of the tubing was actually not as hard as I imagined, once I ripped out the bottom of the drive bay cage. I got the dremel out and smashed it out in 5 mins, no need to keep it neat and tidy, the rougher the better.

Zpe2FHth.jpg

The pump directly feeds the pump via a male to male 1/4" fitting.

Rs5Ne0jh.jpg

As hinted before, the block arrived, buts useless without another 11x M3 DIN screws

BCBitlJh.jpg

LMHRUfEh.jpg

MxFZqquh.jpg

4DneJLZh.jpg

On a positive note, ordered the CPU (6600K) and an SSHD (just to play about with) for the build from Overclockers on Friday and it arrived on Saturday, this meant I can get the CPU block mounted and start tubing up.

thp3UrGh.jpg

I0T96Dch.jpg

XZk6dvih.jpg

wr390och.jpg

LPBQFjWh.jpg

L1gCCagh.jpg

Gvhmv2lh.jpg

H3UBDByh.jpg

5DaeBosh.jpg

mqgKO1Kh.jpg

GdeHveEh.jpg

roIzPzyh.jpg

As you can see, nearly there! Just get the GPU block in a acquire some RAM, then we are done!

Hope you all had a great weekend! More updates soon!

Associate
OP
Cheers guys!

I have had a try at weathering some tubing, but its pretty hard to get looking right. I think I will just do it like I have done with the rest of the case. I will dry bush the tubing with different shades of Warhammer style paint to get some muck on the tubing, it will easily be seen when the coolant is in there.

I did have a look at getting the lights to flicker, but you need a really bad source to drive the LED strips, so it seems like it will be hard work. I have tried but I've had no luck so far

Back
Top Bottom