Vega's *Heavyweight* display and computer; edition 2012

Associate
OP
I forgot how much work it is to get these large water setups done properly. :thumb:

Assembly line done.

SANY0007-9.jpg

X79 chip-set, RAM and MOSFET/VRM blocks installed.

SANY0009-8.jpg

Setting up GPU's.

SANY0011-5.jpg

SANY0012-4.jpg

One of the GPU's temperature is a lot higher than the other three. It is quite strange as I assembled all blocks exactly the same, with the same TIM and quantity. So far the good ones are idling at 25-27C and under load around high 30's C. Not looking forward to draining and re-doing card #2. Hopefully I don't have a bad block. :mad:

Associate
OP
It was a stand-off that wasn't fully seated from factory on the high temp GPU. Corrected and now all GPU's idle 21-25 C and full overclock load 33-38 C. All button up and ready to roar:

SANY0008-8.jpg

Associate
OP
Amazing temps :D

Always love reading this thread!

;)

I've had success getting a custom resolution and frequency working in Surround! Running 3600x1877 @ 95Hz. That corrects for a perfect GW900 aspect ratio for each screen, increases the Hz a nice bit above stock settings and the whole display setup us almost a 2:1 width/height ratio which is just about perfect.

I am running these settings right now and they seem to be doing pretty well:

3960X @ 5 GHz @ 1.47v.
105 MHz Base-clock for a little more PCI-E "oomph".
2240 MHz @ 9-11-11-28 on the 16GB RAM. May try and get those timing a bit lower in the future.

Idle @ 28 C and game load 45-55 C. Prime95 full load temps are ~57 C. I also purchased the Intel overclock warranty for $35, small price I think for some piece of mind and they cross ship if you let them put a reserve amount on your credit card.

Last edited:
Associate
Just curious, what Camera are you using? The pictures look pretty good to me.
And Nice priject you have going for you there... Seems the box (well... at least motherboard and whatever to run the computer, what will you put all this in?) is working fine, now you "just" need all of the rest going ;P
I'm looking foreward to follow your building.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just curious, what Camera are you using? The pictures look pretty good to me.
And Nice priject you have going for you there... Seems the box (well... at least motherboard and whatever to run the computer, what will you put all this in?) is working fine, now you "just" need all of the rest going ;P
I'm looking foreward to follow your building.

It's actually kind of a crappy camera. I've been wanting to upgrade this thing to 1080P video for a long time, just never got around to it. It's a Sanyo Xacti 720p/10-mega pixel.

On another note:

On my 4-way GTX 680 setup using EVGA reference cards with EK water blocks, my stable overclock is 1202 MHz core and 3534 MHz memory. Pretty much spent all day testing those clocks using Heaven 3.0, BF3, Crysis 2, Metro 2033 and Skyrim with some mods and HD texture pack would crash at the lowest frequency. So modded Skyrim set my ceiling. I found though that performance scales linearly with increased memory clocks and there is no "sweet spot". Get that memory frequency as high as it can go!

Those number are still pretty good considering 4-Way SLI is usually a bit harder to highly overclock. 4-way 680 just destroys Skyrim in Surround:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvSh...DvjVQa1PpcFOpwHlB70YlOALsTk3pZxTxt4tbGt5H9Yk=

I am just astounded by how smooth the GTX 680 handles Surround using PCI-E 3.0 slots. There is no micro-stuttering, pauses or jitters. I don't think I could tell the difference between a single GPU running a single monitor and this 4-Way SLI Surround setup. Combine that with the CRT's and this is by far the smoothest and best Surround/Eyefinity setup of mine to date. ;)

It will be interesting to see if any of these new EVGA non-reference cards will allow the voltage to rise above software 1.175 (I think really the only way to get more clocks out of these and just not more power phases).

Associate
My god man, you must have the most understanding other half ever. If I spent half of the cash you must have to create such a work of genius my partner would beat me senseless.

Associate
OP
My god man, you must have the most understanding other half ever. If I spent half of the cash you must have to create such a work of genius my partner would beat me senseless.

lol

The great news is that with driver 301.25 I no longer have the Surround setup not working on cold boot-up problem. Everything is working great now in Surround mode.

I've noticed that Witcher 2 has a problem when I load up the game, instead of it filling the screen, it's just a narrow landscape type view into the world. Anyone familiar with Surround/Eyefinity in Witcher 2 know how to fix that?

Associate
Sperm whale samples. Just kidding!

It is anti-condensation protection as that was a sub-zero liquid build. The material was dragon skin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLiiJ4k3nTA

or what I like to call "Ectoplasm". ;)

On another note, I just finished my custom reinforced 7 foot stainless steel desk to hold my monster display setup. I stood on this right in the middle on one of my feet (180lb) and it didn't even flex a hair.

SANY0006-8.jpg

Welding stainless steel is harder than you think! (just kidding). Time for the old glass desk to go!

Is the whole top of the desk one lump of steel or a few welded together?

Might rob that desk design and make one of my own (if you don't mind) it looks f'in sturdy!

Associate
OP
Just rotate the mounts. All I did with these is remove the four VESA screws, turn the screen 90 degrees and remount. It will be monitor dependent and if the stand is tall enough to clear. Otherwise you can just get a custom mount.

Associate
Just rotate the mounts. All I did with these is remove the four VESA screws, turn the screen 90 degrees and remount. It will be monitor dependent and if the stand is tall enough to clear. Otherwise you can just get a custom mount.

i mean resolution and aspect not phsyically mate
in ccc i can arrange them in 5760x1200 (like i have now all in landscape mode)
or 1920x3600 stacked vertically in landscape. i dont see an option to put them 3600x1920 portrait mode

how iv set them up now gives me a big letterbox view with good peripheral view but not much vertical view

Back
Top Bottom