Vega's *Heavyweight* display and computer; edition 2012

Associate
Yeah I think you pay for the name with Asus, but i've not had any random problems.

Well saying that the day I got the board with 8 sticks of ballistix memory I couldn't get it to post without error codes, After contacting asus and crucial they finally tested the memory and found that Asus had removed some power circuitry from the DIMM slots that was needed, Asus said this was incase people put the Ram in upside down and shorted
somthing.. It's a little bit odd as every other X79 board works with the memory but at the end of the day Asus and Crucial did contact each other and inform me they did have a problem..

I've Just done some reading on the Asrock extreme 11, it looks mighty impressive on paper, I can see your going to have a hard time trying to Decide..

Associate
OP
Sweet, got a Rampage IV Extreme and a nice clocking 3960X inbound and the other three GTX 680's in the mail. Now I just need to find some of that 2666 MHz DDR3 4x 4GB. Or do you guys think 2400MHz will suffice?

I might have to re-think my cooling loop on the CPU side to give it more breathing room now. ;)

Associate
111.jpg

Out of curiosity, how come you chose this picture?

I live in that town o_0.

Loving what you have done so far!

Associate
OP
Out of curiosity, how come you chose this picture?

I live in that town o_0.

Loving what you have done so far!

You live in that town, seriously?

It was my attempt to convey (Ivy on the house) with the bridge in front of it with my picture puzzle lol. I like the English landscape, my last trip we visited Warwick castle it was pretty cool.

Last edited:
Associate
You live in that town, seriously?

It was my attempt to convey (Ivy on the house) with the bridge in front of it with my picture puzzle lol. I like the English landscape, my last trip we visited Warwick castle it was pretty cool.

I do indeed, It's a little market town in North Wales called Llanrwst.

The little house is called, Tu Hwnt i'r Bont.

Associate
OP
I do indeed, It's a little market town in North Wales called Llanrwst.

The little house is called, Tu Hwnt i'r Bont.

Nice. I love that about Europe. You could have taken a picture of that house two hundred years ago and it would have looked the same. ;)

Where I live this is considered an old building:

walmart_supercenter.jpg
:eek:

Well I broke down and have four of these inbound:

I can't help it, EK water blocks draw me in like crack to a crack-whore! :D

I am going to hold off on the Rampage IV Extreme motherboard VRM and chip-set liquid blocks and the four RAM blocks until I am sure that is the route I want to take for my permanent setup.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Vega, I've just done some benchmarks with 4 & 8 sticks of memory, well I'm suprised but 8 stickS have improved my fps.

4 sticks on stock cards at 1000mhz gets 82fps average on Dirt Benchmark @5760x1200 Max settings

8 sticks 89.9fps

So if your going X79 best get 8 sticks, this was at 1600mhz, so I'm going to clock the cards and ram tomo see what she does :)

Associate
OP
Hi Vega, I've just done some benchmarks with 4 & 8 sticks of memory, well I'm suprised but 8 stickS have improved my fps.

4 sticks on stock cards at 1000mhz gets 82fps average on Dirt Benchmark @5760x1200 Max settings

8 sticks 89.9fps

So if your going X79 best get 8 sticks, this was at 1600mhz, so I'm going to clock the cards and ram tomo see what she does :)

Something doesn't sound right there! I take it you went from 16GB to your 32GB in your sig? I bet if you load up just windows and run the benchmark under the performance monitor you won't use more than 6GB of RAM total. Just increasing a very large amount of RAM to an absurd amount of RAM shouldn't effect performance when size is not the limiting factor.

Are you sure the speed of the RAM didn't change? Sounds like there are other factors at play. ;)

Usually the less RAM sticks, the easier it is on the processor memory controller and the higher the RAM overclock. Did you previously have the four RAM sticks installed in all of the red slots? That would give full quad-channel speed. Installing four more sticks in the four black slots would still keep the same quad channel speed, just increase the total memory amount.

Associate
I agree with what your saying, I will pull out the other 4 sticks tomo and try some other benchmarks...

I didn't check the cl in bios as it was just a random test before and after putting in new ram, but I'm on the boat away tomo morn then back late so will start again then.. :s

Man of Honour
Nice to see I'm not the only person hoarding the FW900's. :D

3 in use here and 2 working spares at the moment. And a couple of broken ones for spare parts.

Back
Top Bottom