Very Stuck what to do...

Soldato
Pretty much.

I've flip flopped between iOS, Android, Windows Phone, even had the Palm Pre for a while. iOS is just better. It really does just work. It's smoother even on older hardware. They're supported better, get more updates for longer and are better built.

The only people who enjoy Android are people who've never had an iPhone and nerds who hate Apple for whatever reason.

The argument that iPhones are overpriced doesn't really hold up either as I'm betting Android users upgrade much more often where as I still know people using an iPhone 5 just fine. I don't anyone still using an Android phone that old.

Soldato
Pretty much.

I've flip flopped between iOS, Android, Windows Phone, even had the Palm Pre for a while. iOS is just better. It really does just work. It's smoother even on older hardware. They're supported better, get more updates for longer and are better built.

The only people who enjoy Android are people who've never had an iPhone and nerds who hate Apple for whatever reason.

The argument that iPhones are overpriced doesn't really hold up either as I'm betting Android users upgrade much more often where as I still know people using an iPhone 5 just fine. I don't anyone still using an Android phone that old.

I have had an iPhone for at least two years in the past , I also don't hate Apple. I have now had Android phones for a good few years.

I prefer the openness of Android and with less restriction. I just prefer how Android works and looks.

So I don't fit into your category for the reason I enjoy Android over IOS

Last edited:
Soldato
Just moved to an S8+ from an iPhone 6 Plus recently. I've had an iPhone since 2008 with the launch of the iPhone 3G and I've since had a 3GS, 4, 5 then 6 Plus. I held off upgrading to the 6S Plus and the 7 because they just didn't offer anything that benefits me and that got me thinking - realistically, other than bigger screens, better performance and (marginally) better battery life, nothing has really changed for me - none of the benefits really make a difference to anything I do. I did try a Galaxy S4 when they'd just come out back in 2013 but I couldn't get on with it so I just stuck with my iPhone - Samsung's TouchWiz at that time was pretty dire, in my opinion.

However I had a play around with the S8 a few days before it was out while I was in the US and really liked it so I figured I'd give it a go. There are things from iOS that I do miss - iMessage for one and I personally think some of the iOS apps are nicer than their Android counterparts, but I can live with that. At the same time there are things about Android that I really like too so it offsets it.

I've basically got what I wanted - a phone that actually feels different for the first time in many years and I've got the ability to do all sorts of customisation should I ever decide I can be bothered - which to be fair, probably won't happen since I'm quite happy with the way the UI looks anyway. I do like that I have the ability to run emulators (DOSBox on a phone is quite a strange experience) and that if I want to put music on my phone I can just copy the files into a folder and be done with it.

I'm sure I'll switch back to an iPhone at some point, but for now, I'm enjoying something that's actually different, for me anyway.

Permabanned
I have had an iPhone for at least two years in the past , I also don't hate Apple. I have now had Android phones for a good few years.

I prefer the openness of Android and with less restriction. I just prefer how Android works and looks.

So I don't fit into your category for the reason I enjoy Android over IOS

You don't need to explain yourself, almost nobody falls into that imaginary category.

It's just too difficult a concept for some people to accept users actually prefer the freedom of Android and the better hardware and features Android flagships offer.

Last edited:
Associate
This 'ios just works'......you say that because you can't change anything .
The last time I used an Apple product I couldn't even find where an app I'd downloaded was....hidden in some folder that ios decided it should go in.
I prefer to control what my phone/ tablet does,not the other way round

Soldato
Never had that with my many years of iOS. Whenever I downloaded an app while I still had an iPhone, it would always occupy the next available icon space on the home screen and nothing was ever automatically dumped into a folder. Strange.

Permabanned
This 'ios just works'......you say that because you can't change anything .
The last time I used an Apple product I couldn't even find where an app I'd downloaded was....hidden in some folder that ios decided it should go in.
I prefer to control what my phone/ tablet does,not the other way round

Exactly, for Android you can change it to whatever "just works" for you, for iOS you're stuck with what Apple tells you "just works". :)

Associate
Never had that with my many years of iOS. Whenever I downloaded an app while I still had an iPhone, it would always occupy the next available icon space on the home screen and nothing was ever automatically dumped into a folder. Strange.
What happens if the home screen has no spaces ?
I know with android you have the option, automatically placed on homescreen or in the app folder

Soldato
No idea, never seen anyone needing to get anywhere near the limit of 15 pages worth of apps before. I'd take a guess at it forcing you to delete stuff or move things into folders, which is probably just as well as with 15 pages worth of apps it'd be a nightmare to find anything anyway.

Associate
No idea, never seen anyone needing to get anywhere near the limit of 15 pages worth of apps before. I'd take a guess at it forcing you to delete stuff or move things into folders, which is probably just as well as with 15 pages worth of apps it'd be a nightmare to find anything anyway.
Now I'm confused.The home screen to me is the screen you see after you've unlocked.So what you're saying is it could be anywhere in upto 15 screens ? And that just works ? Lol
It is a couple of years since I used ios

Soldato
I could have multiple pages of apps on my iPhone's home screen yes, just like I can and do on my S8+. Not sure why that seems so strange?

Edit: Oh, I get what you mean. If you have an icon space on, say, page 2 but you have more pages of apps. A valid point if it does just dump it there. I'll do a quick test as I still have my iPhone - will see if it chucks it on the first available slot or the last slot.

Yep it seems to be the first available slot on any page, so you're right. It doesn't just go ahead and chuck it in folders though but I do agree, if you don't have full pages and you install an app, you'd better remember where your spaces were to be able to find it after. It just never caused an issue for me because I had all my apps in folders and the folders were all on only a couple of pages anyway. Android's definitely a bit more flexible in that regard as you can just dump your icons anywhere rather than having to have them next to the last existing icon.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do love the uniformity of the iOS ecosystem and icons. Also, pretty much every app on iOS is way more polished. Snapchat for example is just better on iPhone.

Whenever I try android, I always find the icons a bit jarring, as in different sizes etc. There's no uniformity ! (Yes I know you can change the theme with novalauncher etc, but it doesn't always theme every app)

Associate
I could have multiple pages of apps on my iPhone's home screen yes, just like I can and do on my S8+. Not sure why that seems so strange?
Yes I know you can have multiple screens on both..... I always have just the 1,that works for me.....but I'm saying how do you find an app quickly when it could be anywhere upto 15 screens ?.... Or as in the case I mentioned,it was in a folder of ios's choosing.
For me 1 home screen and 1 scrollable app screen is the most convenient.Can I do that in ios ?

Soldato
Yes I know you can have multiple screens on both..... I always have just the 1,that works for me.....but I'm saying how do you find an app quickly when it could be anywhere upto 15 screens ?.... Or as in the case I mentioned,it was in a folder of ios's choosing.
For me 1 home screen and 1 scrollable app screen is the most convenient.Can I do that in ios ?
Swipe down on home screen and search. :)

And you can have one home screen. Yes. I have only one home screen.

Soldato

Aye, I edited my post after I got what you were getting at :) It's all down to how you organise your stuff on iOS though. I had all my stuff organised in folders and that was all within 2 pages so never needed to flick between anything other than that which made everything nice and simple to follow. Both OSes are different in how they work so they both need different ways to organise to be most efficient for you.

Associate
Is ios becoming more customisable ?
More like android.Can you use different launchers ? Can you uninstall pre-installed apps ?
Like I say it's been a couple of years since I used it and that was on my girlfriend's iphone and iPad.I really didn't like the way 'it just worked'

Soldato
Is ios becoming more customisable ?
More like android.Can you use different launchers ? Can you uninstall pre-installed apps ?
Like I say it's been a couple of years since I used it and that was on my girlfriend's iphone and iPad.I really didn't like the way 'it just worked'

One launcher, so no change there.

You can uninstall pretty much any app now that you don't need. I.e, i don't need to apple watch app, so i've uninstalled it. Likewise with the podcast app.

Associate
If the OP buys into this rubbish then he should definitely stick with Apple.
He should stick with Apple but if he wants Android, he should consider the next Pixel. The S8 despite the hardware is just not as fast or smooth as an iPhone 7, it's a fact and it will most likely slow down the line. Every single person I know who has an S7, lags or stutters to some degree.
I've owned the Galaxy S, Desire HD, One M8, Nexus 7 2012 and 2013, Z3C and Z3, used the S7 and S8, none of them beat the equivalent iPhone's performance. You can do more on Android but if you actually use apps or play games rather than stare at the homescreen, iPhone is better. The iPhone may not do as much as a Galaxy but what it does, it does better.

Surely you'd rather have better quality apps and more choice than change icons of the homescreen or font of the OS. Eg, Shazam didn't even get the auto feature until recently yet iOS had it for several years, there was also the issue of Instagram photos being of lower quality on Android. Little things like scrolling to the top instantly, swiping left to go to the previous screen or Force Touch do really make using iOS better.

Back
Top Bottom