Vet bill is climbing

Sorry to hear about your cat. The thing that springs to mind for me is if the vets put him on urinary food? My cat had issues spraying previously, the vet took a sample from his bladder and there were crystals in it. Put him on the Hills S/D food to break them down, then changed him to the C/D food for maintenance no issues at all since and that’s over 10 years.
This, if possible. One of my papillons had a build up of bladder stones that had to be controlled with food. Sadly, we bought a slight variation of the urinary food(same brand) thinking it was the same and kept reordering for a year. As a result she had to undergo surgery to remove a blocked bladder because it got so bad.. we were heartbroken at the time.

sorry to hear this

i love to know how vets justify their prices

My dog caught kennel cough in Portugal. I was not sure what it was so took him in
Sunday appointment. Anti inflammatory injection and 5 days tablets and also
a worming tablet was £32
That would have been minimum £200 here
It’s all labour and prices set by pharmaceutical companies. If you get a prescription in the UK you can buy the medication cheaper online.

The cost of human medication is astronomical, too.

I'm surprised that it wasn't suggested you put the cat on special food the first time round. This happened when my dog had bladder stones because it refused to drink enough. The urinary care food must have something like a higher amount of salt to encourage the animal to drink.

Last edited:
It should be law to have a minimum level cover of insurance for those who wish to keep pets. I wonder how many times pets don't get the proper care because an owner wanted to save a few quid per month.

Then those that can't afford it shouldn't have a pet.

It's not that simple, pet insurance is even more a rip off than car insurance. I insured my two kittens last year with Petplan for £240 for both of them for the year for a total of £4000 cover. This year they hiked it to £302 for the pair of them for the year despite never claiming. If they hike it that much every year it rapidly becomes unaffordable for many people. I switched and got it back down to £260 to cover both of them for a year with £5000 cover plus get a £75 Amazon voucher for each policy after 4 months. Depending on how much they hike it next year will depend on if i stick or switch again but from my understanding of pet insurance I will only be able to do this for so many years because as they get older it becomes more and more difficult to get competitive cover and once they pass 7 years many will refuse to insure new customers at all. Personally I would never have a pet if I couldn't afford the vet's bills and weren't able to keep them safe and fed. Even when I didn't have pet insurance on a older cat I took in he never went without and got treatment as and when he needed it.

Going by your way of thinking it should be applied to children as well, if you can't afford to raise them, don't have them. Far too many people have kids that they then can't afford to feed and clothe and depend on the state to fund them. It's no different really except that pets have to be entirely funded by the owner.

Based on what some of the guys are posting above you all need to find different vets because compared to our vets prices yours are astronomical!!

Last edited:
It should be law to have a minimum level cover of insurance for those who wish to keep pets. I wonder how many times pets don't get the proper care because an owner wanted to save a few quid per month.

While I agree somewhat, our old dog isn't insured for the reasons of:

£70 per month - £1500 cover per year, with first 40%(?I think it was this) covered by us, plus £100 excess.

So £840 a year, and if we to claim the full £1500 we'd be paying £600 (+£100 excess) towards that..means, what is the ****ing point?

We just put the cash aside for him and hope he doesn't need it until it's his time.

Last edited:
5 years ago, we purchased a “Brought By Many” (now Manypets) pet insurance plan for our GSD puppy. It was £51 and seemed extortionate at the time. It’s a lifetime cover though, the price will never increase, excess is £59 we have £7k per year limit

I think they still offer them

They don't offer this any more. We have 3 cats and one dog on this and as you say, expensive at the time, but great in the long run as they get older.

They wouldn't allow one of our dogs on as he was 5 when we got him, and the other was young enough but they had changed policy or something and no further pets could be put on the lifetime plan.

It makes future ownership tricky, as with normal insurance, the goal posts shift so much you can't make a sensible plan unless you want to remortgage your home every now and then.

Or at least get the animal put down rather than dumping or something.

We kill animals in the thousands, brutally. Although I would never put my boy down.. If you can't afford to insure you need to be able to make the decision to put them down.

About 2 years ago, our cat went to the vet with a blocked bladder. I think it cost about £500 (wasn't insured). We then insured him as the shock of a vet bill scared us a bit.

None of the following will be covered as they will class it as a pre-existing condition :(

Present day, it's happend again. Took him in Thursday, cost £790! Came home with the hope he would now wee by himself. Come Friday morning, he hadn't but was clearly trying so took him back and confirmed he was blocked again. Left him there. Another £895!!

This time they put a catheter in, and said he needs to stay somewhere to be monitored over the weekend. They got an estimate of £160 per day and I had to pick him up to take him just over an hour away

When I got there to pick him up and take him to the other place, the estimate was way off and it's actually £320 a day :D

And that's where we are currently. Waiting for a call this morning with an update.

Just not really sure how far I can justify this to go. With this first day being monitored, the bill overall sits around £2000.

It could just happen again down the line if not right away. He's otherwise a happy healthy chap, 9 years old and doesn't seem right to cut him short over this but need to be sensible financially.

Any one had similar? At the moment its a credit card job and will hopefully do a transfer to 0% once we know the final figure but again, how longs a piece of string
Sorry to hear this. My old cat George had this problem his whole life. We put him on royal canin urinary s/o and it mostly eased the issue right off. Expensive food but well worth it. He lived to 18.5 in the end.

Or at least get the animal put down rather than dumping or something.

We kill animals in the thousands, brutally. Although I would never put my boy down.. If you can't afford to insure you need to be able to make the decision to put them down.

Im desperately hopeful that it doesn't come to it for us. He's my little mate. Honestly the most clingy cuddly cat I've ever known

Even on the drive from out vet, to this over night one, he stretched his paws out of the bars and rested them on my knee for most the trip! Guilt trip or what!

But I'll do what's right if it comes to that. Just need to decide on our limit for how far to let it go money wise if he's not better after this bout.

Sure, I wish I kept the original insurance in place, and the last episode made me take it out incase he suffered anything worse. I knew this wouldn't be covered but there we go!

Vet did say I could try, but it's pretty clear

Im desperately hopeful that it doesn't come to it for us. He's my little mate. Honestly the most clingy cuddly cat I've ever known

Even on the drive from out vet, to this over night one, he stretched his paws out of the bars and rested them on my knee for most the trip! Guilt trip or what!

But I'll do what's right if it comes to that. Just need to decide on our limit for how far to let it go money wise if he's not better after this bout.

Sure, I wish I kept the original insurance in place, and the last episode made me take it out incase he suffered anything worse. I knew this wouldn't be covered but there we go!

Vet did say I could try, but it's pretty clear

Yeah I can imagine they would try and wriggle out at the best of times. Can't imagine they'd pay except for a mistake on their part.

I totally empathise. I worry a kodas insurance not being enough. I think it's 3k per year per condition.
I'd pay whatever I could for him so have to have insurance really.

I have some ex battery hens which can't be insured and at some point it crosses into "this isn't worth it". But it's easier with chickens as usually.. If the bill is expensive 9 times out of 10 they can't be saved anyway.

Last edited:
My cat had cancer, cost us around £10k for the treatment all told, due to insurance it cost me the grand total of around £120, plus fuel to take her for chemo.

It's a lesson I learnt the hard way as I had a dog with epilepsy and no insurance.

I hope you get a favourable outcome

I'd agree with you if there were also legislation preventing insurance companies from increasing their premium more than x% at renewal, but that's not going to happen, so what do the people who could afford it do when their insurance increase by 500%, put the animal down or dump it on the street?

I can easily afford the £60/month we pay at the moment, but if that went up to £300 it would be a different story...

About 2 years ago, our cat went to the vet with a blocked bladder. I think it cost about £500 (wasn't insured). We then insured him as the shock of a vet bill scared us a bit.

None of the following will be covered as they will class it as a pre-existing condition :(

Present day, it's happend again. Took him in Thursday, cost £790! Came home with the hope he would now wee by himself. Come Friday morning, he hadn't but was clearly trying so took him back and confirmed he was blocked again. Left him there. Another £895!!

This time they put a catheter in, and said he needs to stay somewhere to be monitored over the weekend. They got an estimate of £160 per day and I had to pick him up to take him just over an hour away

When I got there to pick him up and take him to the other place, the estimate was way off and it's actually £320 a day :D

And that's where we are currently. Waiting for a call this morning with an update.

Just not really sure how far I can justify this to go. With this first day being monitored, the bill overall sits around £2000.

It could just happen again down the line if not right away. He's otherwise a happy healthy chap, 9 years old and doesn't seem right to cut him short over this but need to be sensible financially.

Any one had similar? At the moment its a credit card job and will hopefully do a transfer to 0% once we know the final figure but again, how longs a piece of string.

What's the limit of too much is too much? If it starts impacting your life heavily is it worth it?

Also can't you just get someone else to take it to the vet?

Been there but was luckily insured, 2 cats got ill about 6 months apart, total bill came to £18k. We paid about £2k if i remember correct.

Wtf. In my opinion that is unethical but people love their pets!

This is unfair, as it seems like vets are not above taking the **** it seems. Growing up (fairly poor) we had pets that just lived and died.....natural way of life. 2.000, 18.000 etc treatment is just madness.

This is unfair, as it seems like vets are not above taking the **** it seems. Growing up (fairly poor) we had pets that just lived and died.....natural way of life. 2.000, 18.000 etc treatment is just madness.

So your 7 year old cat gets hit by a car, and a £2k operation will save them and let them live a normal life, but, nah, just let them die?

I'd agree with you if there were also legislation preventing insurance companies from increasing their premium more than x% at renewal, but that's not going to happen, so what do the people who could afford it do when their insurance increase by 500%, put the animal down or dump it on the street?

I can easily afford the £60/month we pay at the moment, but if that went up to £300 it would be a different story...
My petplan covered for life hasn't gone up 500% since we started the plans 12 and 9 years ago.

The price doesn't go up for claiming either, it goes up each year regardless but not 500%.

While I agree somewhat, our old dog isn't insured for the reasons of:

£70 per month - £1500 cover per year, with first 40%(?I think it was this) covered by us, plus £100 excess.

So £840 a year, and if we to claim the full £1500 we'd be paying £600 (+£100 excess) towards that..means, what is the ****ing point?

We just put the cash aside for him and hope he doesn't need it until it's his time.
That's a very expensive policy for £1500 of cover. But regardless, you have to question if you'd put an old dog through major surgery anyway. Putting money aside is fine but if on month 2 you get the £10k bill and you've saved £140, not great.

I think there was a time when insurance was optional, but with the way vet bills have gone now, its worth its weight in gold. Even with routine stuff it almost pays for itself. Hope you manage to sort it OP.

That's a very expensive policy for £1500 of cover. But regardless, you have to question if you'd put an old dog through major surgery anyway. Putting money aside is fine but if on month 2 you get the £10k bill and you've saved £140, not great.

Unfortunately, he's not going to have 10k spent on him if he needs that to survive :( finding insurance for an old dog at that level is difficult, and for good reason, insurers don't want to be spending 10k on keeping elderly dogs/cats alive.

We'll do our best to keep him happy, but if there is an illness or injury on his path, then it will be decided on a cost/benefit basis. So, yea, a cream for a skin condition, an injection, tooth, minor stuff, well pay for. Broken bones, ligaments, cancer etc, he's done for at that point :(

Back
Top Bottom