Vet bill is climbing

my mum spent thousands on one of her cats, I think it had cancer.

then another one got ill with kidney problems and she had to buy some ridiculously expensive medicine.

she'd never put a pet down as I'm sure most animal owners wouldn't.

Vets seem to acknowledge that with their pricing

Our 1 year old cat isn't insured, any recommendations for good value policies?
I've been very happy with Tesco Pet insurance for our dog. Never had any issues or challenges on claims.

Worst claim we had was last year. Our dog was out of sorts, ended up going in and had scans and emergency surgery performed in the middle of the night. I think in the end it was over £4.5k.

I know this thread is about a cat, but I'm pretty sure that this situation was triggered by the ownership of lockdown puppies 4 years ago. We all got grounded by Boris and everyone and their dog wanted a lockdown puppy. 4 years on, and these puppies are now dogs and now you see dogs everywhere. Cafes and shops that previously weren't dog-friendly are now dog-friendly and I even heard that some offices allow dogs too. Vets have capitalised on this so to affect cat owners as well as dog owners.

My petplan covered for life hasn't gone up 500% since we started the plans 12 and 9 years ago.

The price doesn't go up for claiming either, it goes up each year regardless but not 500%.

Depends on the insurer though. If I'd accepted renewal prices over the past 10 odd years, we'd be paying about 6x what we started on.

All well and good when you haven't claimed and can decline the renewal and shop around, but if your pet has an ongoing condition, they basically have you over a barrel.

Last edited:
5 years ago, we purchased a “Brought By Many” (now Manypets) pet insurance plan for our GSD puppy. It was £51 and seemed extortionate at the time. It’s a lifetime cover though, the price will never increase, excess is £59 we have £7k per year limit

I think they still offer them

Wow thats a good deal tbh, ive never seen a policy that does not increase with age.

My petplan covered for life hasn't gone up 500% since we started the plans 12 and 9 years ago.

The price doesn't go up for claiming either, it goes up each year regardless but not 500%.

Petplan here for a 12 year old staffy, currently £130pm for £7k cover although due to his age we have to cover the first 20% plus the excess.

I sometimes think about cancelling the cover and banking the premiums but I'd rather not be put in the position of thinking about the cost if he's ill.

Indeed, ours is independently owned and they’re brilliant. They’re expensive too but you’re paying for a lot of time and expertise. This idea that vets are raking in loads of cash is just nonsense. It’s an incredibly tough job and not many people would have the balls to do it, frankly.
I think they do great work. Everyone I've dealt with this past few days have been spot on. And I always feel they have the animals best interests in mind.

Not like when you get work on a car and they make up what needs doing :D

Picked the cat up, luckily today's day and night stay bill was as quoted, so luckily no horrid surprises. He's home now, need to keep an eye on his fluids make sure he's weeing properly etc and got a few meds to help with discomfort.

I really hope he gets past this now, currently at £2k mark for this
Get him on royal canin urinary s/o

Keeping my fingers crossed for you

It's a cat....

I have a pet cat, I've had a cat most of my life, I've buried a couple in the garden, it wasn't pleasant.

But it's a cat

£2000?!?

There are human beings starving on the streets your £2000 would go a long way.

Vets, insurance etc is a business, like anything they are in it for the money.

I know it's heartbreaking, but really, need to get things in perspective here.

It should be law to have a minimum level cover of insurance for those who wish to keep pets. I wonder how many times pets don't get the proper care because an owner wanted to save a few quid per month.

Absolutely.

And those that can't afford it, should have their pets confiscated, and the government, at the tax payers expense, should set up an animal shelter to house all these confiscated pets.

We could call this animal shelter, "Big Al's Animal Sanctuary" just need someone to run it...I think you could be a "Big Al".

PXL-20240120-211618219-MP.jpg

Check out my pussycat, Cora.

Yup I got one that will only drink from the tap out the back. When it's frozen like it has been recently I have to slowly pour water from a jug so she thinks its coming from the tap..

Back
Top Bottom