Victorian renovation build log

Associate
Thought I would log my current house project.

Its a 5 bed semi built in 1869

Not decorated since the 70s and stood unoccupied for over a year before I bought it (for a bargain)

I have done little bits to make it habitable - ie. temporary roof repairs, and double glazed front windows

Latest big project is a small extension and kitchen/breakfast room revamp, that I'm still soldiering through now!

Old lay out - room with the lady is :)D) in kitchen, looking at the back of the house

hope you can appreciate that most of the light and garden access/view is blocked by the outrigger, which was an unheated overly large utility room

plan was to make an L-shape and add lots of glass

more to follow....

Soldato
Ha, we're literally looking at getting an architect in to get plans drawn up for almost the same thing in the new year :)

Keep us posted!... so I can steal your ideas :D

Soldato
Watch out for that roof pitch, only certain tiles will go shallower than 22.5 degrees* unless you build it as an onduline roof.

* some marley interlocking tiles will go as low as 12 iirc

Soldato
Interesting project. I'm looking at doing something similar later this year but extending the outrigger by a couple of metres to have a separate kitchen and dining room.

What plans do you have for the flooring, will the existing kitchen and utility room extension have the same sub floor?

Associate
OP
Work is nearly finished, plenty of hiccups on the way but nothing major.

Didn't want to lose much garden and house is big enough already, so didn't want to extend out. It was more about creating usable space, light, and garden views

Work began in September lol

Associate
OP
Il try and post chronologically

Foundations being dug, you can see it's not a very big space increase

New insulated slab for new section and utility, same level as the old concrete slab of the kitchen.
Floor will be limestone slabs

Oh and I think the roof pitch is 25degrees

Associate
OP

the foundations are only 6 bricks deep on to soil so the back walls needed underpinning

fortunately the structural engineer had accounted for this

Associate
OP
Here is the underpinning continuing along the internal wall that will take the weight of the largest piece of steel

you can see the set concrete in the right of the hole, and a spade for reference of how deep the hole is!

Main problem with the house is no matter how much the heating is on it never gets particularly warm in winter.

Because of this I am insulating internal walls with minimum 50mm celotex, and all new walls are insulated cavity walls

Associate
OP
Thanks guys!

The overlap on the rear higher horizontal steel is 150mm on to original wall

The overlap on the front lower horizontal still is only 100mm because it's onto a new double skin wall - looks scarily little but his is current building regs!

The vertical 'solider' bricks across the top are to tie it in architecturally with the original brickwork above the windows that you can see in the first site photo

Soldato
Are your original walls cavity? If so, you can still get free cavity insulation as well as your loft done. We did it all for free and it definitely improved the heating situation.

Soldato
Cavity wall insulation! Run as fast as you can 'away' from it! Don't put it in. The cavity is there for a good reason. Different if a new build as its done differently.

Have you had a bad experience or something? Interested to know.

I assume it's a case of YMMV. We've had nothing but good results these past 2 years since instalation.

Back
Top Bottom