Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Man of Honour
OP
My gba is up and running , snes waiting on caps and pick fuses. Mega drive is proving to be a pain :) voltage everywhere it should be yet still no pic, not got a scope to check data signals tho unfortunately , 5v is perfect on every chip

Doesn't the megadrive use an rf modulator? To be honest I would go straight in with a composite / rgb mod. You can pull video straight from the chip so can wire around the RF output and see if it works. I believe the RF modulator will also have a pot in it for adjustment.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Yea done the pins to board via multi, even checked from cart to via’s

I think the standard rca out on the megadrive is processed by the RF modulation first so rca out might not even work. I do know you can pull direct from the chip but if you don't have sound either it suggests something else might be up.

Soldato
Once again, thank you. My favourite thread on the forum
Mine too. Nostalgia, and fixing up old stuff. My favourite things. :D

After the failure with my Gameboy light, I've been looking at pockets as they're pretty cheap for the console, new shell and ips screen.
Seems can have some power problems of you're running ips and everdrive cartridge.

Wish I'd not left my Color in the UK. Just rotting in an attic. :'( Poor GBC.

Associate

After the failure with my Gameboy light, I've been looking at pockets as they're pretty cheap for the console, new shell and ips screen.
Seems can have some power problems of you're running ips and everdrive cartridge.

interesting, going to be doing the ips / case on my gba was looking at the everdrive. may have to look into any fixes, definitely going to do the recharable lipo mod too

Man of Honour
OP
interesting, going to be doing the ips / case on my gba was looking at the everdrive. may have to look into any fixes, definitely going to do the recharable lipo mod too

You are fine with the advanced, its the earlier boards that have the voltage circuitry on a daughter board thats soldered to the main board. The advanced doesn't have any power upgrades available whereas the colour, lite, dmg and some of the other ones do. RetroSix do a fix on the earlier models CleanPower GBC is the one ill get for my Gameboy if I start getting power issues.

Man of Honour
OP
Once again, thank you. My favourite thread on the forum

We shall try and keep it going. I am running out of stuff to fix/mod but there are more things on the way including a DMG gameboy, Mastersystem 1 and an OG xbox. Some might work, some might be broken. Who knows :D That's half the fun. I also have a no power GTX 1050ti on my shelf now which I haven't had time to set up a test bench for. Not sure its really for this thread as it isn't really a console but I could do some on how to troubleshoot and possibly fix a gpu I guess.

Man of Honour
OP
Yea done the pins to board via multi, even checked from cart to via’s

Just had a thought on your megadrive... are all the pins properly making a connection with the cart when its in the slot? can you remove a pcb from a cart, plug it in and then trace it back from the cart to the console end?

Associate
Just had a thought on your megadrive... are all the pins properly making a connection with the cart when its in the slot? can you remove a pcb from a cart, plug it in and then trace it back from the cart to the console end?

thats a great idea, had the cart apart and reflowed all of the joints just incase, i will pop it in and test like u said. going to need a good desolder gun for removing chips, this manual pump is ok, but got my eye on a hakko ;)

Associate
just got another GBA with intermittent power issues, 26 quid, see if i can restore this one, IPS it and get a bit of money back :)

also picked up another toy :)

xbox.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
thats a great idea, had the cart apart and reflowed all of the joints just incase, i will pop it in and test like u said. going to need a good desolder gun for removing chips, this manual pump is ok, but got my eye on a hakko ;)

I only use hot air station and sometimes my hot tweezers to remove chips havent invested in the desolder gun yet.

Man of Honour
OP
isnt it just! , think a good everdrive is needed :) . i did look up Zelda for the snes im fixing, WOW now thats almost as much as a few consoles ive bought :)

I want the two pokemon games I had as a kid, not a chance im paying what they are asking! Not a chance.

Back
Top Bottom