Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Soldato
Vince, do you have an experience of repairing/replacing the WiFi/Bluetooth module on the PS3 Slim, specifically the CECH-2503B? I turned mine on the other night and the controller will no longer connect (only works when connected via cable), the console won't find nor connect to any other Bluetooth devices and it can't find any WiFi networks either. A brief bit of research online on the issue and searching for the error codes suggests the wireless modules in these can fail and can be a faff to repair or replace depending on model.

It's still usable with the controller attached via the cable (I've got an extra long one arriving today to tide me over!) but I'd like to get it working properly again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Vince, do you have an experience of repairing/replacing the WiFi/Bluetooth module on the PS3 Slim, specifically the CECH-2503B? I turned mine on the other night and the controller will no longer connect (only works when connected via cable), the console won't find nor connect to any other Bluetooth devices and it can't find any WiFi networks either. A brief bit of research online on the issue and searching for the error codes suggests the wireless modules in these can fail and can be a faff to repair or replace depending on model.

It's still usable with the controller attached via the cable (I've got an extra long one arriving today to tide me over!) but I'd like to get it working properly again.

Well now you mention it... Way too much stuff I dont share on here!! Super common that the buck also fails along with the wifi on these so you can bodge it like so... This is a special edition that came in a few weeks back.. no wifi, no bluetooth.... Now has both wifi and BT :D All the buck does is take a 5v input and spit out 1.8v so you can bodge it fairly easily.

Replacement chip was about £10 from China... replacement transistor to replace the blown buck was like £0.50p. Oh and I did clean up the messy soldering job and stuck some new wires on it once it was done... :D

One of two things has happened... 1) the buck has failed, sent 5v to wifi and destroyed it... 2) the buck has failed no voltage to wifi and that's why its not working... wifi failure alone without that buck having failed is pretty rare.

FWIW the slim / super slim suffer from the same thing.... reliable otherwise but suffer wifi/bluetooth issues whereas the phat is just plain unreliable. Shame as ps3 onwards they have all been fairly unreliable while the ps1 / ps2 are basically bullet proof.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great info, thanks! That looks a fair bit beyond my level of skill to repair though, I don't suppose you offer out your services for repairs?

And yeah, my old fat PS3 died of YLOD many years ago! I was able to revive it using a heatgun on the CPU/GPU for just long enough to get most of my save files off it though. Still got it in the box somewhere, one day I'll look at getting it properly repaired as I do kind of miss it. My PS2 is still going strong though!

Whats the white docky looking thing?
PSVR2 Sense controller dock, upside-down. Took me a moment to recognise it!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Great info, thanks! That looks a fair bit beyond my level of skill to repair though, I don't suppose you offer out your services for repairs?

And yeah, my old fat PS3 died of YLOD many years ago! I was able to revive it using a heatgun on the CPU/GPU for just long enough to get most of my save files off it though. Still got it in the box somewhere, one day I'll look at getting it properly repaired as I do kind of miss it. My PS2 is still going strong though!

PSVR2 Sense controller dock, upside-down. Took me a moment to recognise it!

I could fix your wifi :) - Beats trying and failing to fix GPU's :D - Least I know here my chance of success are high!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom