Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Vince I get the fun of reaping the switch! Replaced the battery in my misses lcd model last week and the thing is really neatly put together making the swap that fine line between intricate and fun!

Got a plan next week to swap a barrel jack input to a retro laptop to a usb-c pd board...

Switch is cool to fix but any console that has a voltage input fuse that never blows but instead blows the pmic on the same line is 100% a liability. I've fixed probably hundreds of switches and never once have I seen a blown main fuse. You have to wonder what the point is of that fuse if you are just going to let the pmic take the brunt instead.

I just repaired a deck myself a few weeks back. Still love em, upgraded my base model from 64gb to 512gb while I was at it as I ended up swapping bits and bods between my working one and the faulty one to isolate the issue.
Hey vince, I want to get into some minor repairs (starting with doing some ps5 dualsense controllers with stick drift)

Can you recommend a good starter soldering kit for such jobs please? I don't want to spend loads as if I'm crap it won't last long :D

Last edited:
Hey vince, I want to get into some minor repairs (starting with doing some ps5 dualsense controllers with stick drift)

Can you recommend a good starter soldering kit for such jobs please? I don't want to spend loads as if I'm crap it won't last long :D

You are damn right I can... I have one of these things.. 25 quid and is actually a really decent little station. It also uses the same t12/t15 tips as much more expensive stations. I've been using one for a year or so and it's perfect for even harder jobs.. throw most of the stuff that comes with it away tbh but the actual station and tips are solid.

Last edited:
Some stuff, just finished reshelling the SP consoles and grabbed another 5 elite 2 pads for 15 each.

Last edited:
You are damn right I can... I have one of these things.. 25 quid and is actually a really decent little station. It also uses the same t12/t15 tips as much more expensive stations. I've been using one for a year or so and it's perfect for even harder jobs.. throw most of the stuff that comes with it away tbh but the actual station and tips are solid.

Legend, I will order this, and watch a tonne of videos on how to solder! I assume the kit, solder and flux will be all I'll need for the dualsense repairs.

Last edited:
Legend, I will order this, and watch a tonne of videos on how to solder! I assume the kit, solder and flux will be all I'll need for the dualsense repairs.

Braid.. you will need some braid!! That solder sucker is also half decent as well so that should help!!

Last edited:
Ordered the kit, some flux and braid, here we go :D thanks.

Got 3 x dualsense for £45 so it's not a horrific loss if I'm rubbish :D

What flux did you get, flux is probably the most important thing and good flux is needed!! None of this liquid flux you need like rma 212 gel or similar.

Yea you will have a bad time with liquid flux for pot repairs it gets everywhere, doesn't do bad for bga stuff but even then gel is better. I'm currently using kingbo rma 218 and a cheaper one I found on I think amazon which to be fair is also pretty good.

Last edited:
Yea you will have a bad time with liquid flux for pot repairs it gets everywhere, doesn't do bad for bga stuff but even then gel is better. I'm currently using kingbo rma 218 and a cheaper one I found on I think amazon which to be fair is also pretty good.

Found the Amazon one so that'll arrive tomorrow, cheers for the recommendation!

Found the Amazon one so that'll arrive tomorrow, cheers for the recommendation!

Don't forget some ipa and cotton buds... essential stuff!! I'll be doing some replacement pots on these series 2 pads over the next few weeks so will post up some pics.

Last edited:
Finally fixed a broken series console! YAY!!! Just a shame its only a series S - Easy fix as had a 5v short and i tracked it down to a cap... was very happy with that!

Finally fixed a broken series console! YAY!!! Just a shame its only a series S - Easy fix as had a 5v short and i tracked it down to a cap... was very happy with that!
Excellent work! Would love to know how you go about diagnosing these. I’d like to do that sort of thing but wouldn’t have a clue where to start

Excellent work! Would love to know how you go about diagnosing these. I’d like to do that sort of thing but wouldn’t have a clue where to start

I should have done a vid on it. It only took around 15 mins to sort it but I was eager to have a look and didn't set up to record.

I should have done a vid on it. It only took around 15 mins to sort it but I was eager to have a look and didn't set up to record.
Humour me, how long does it take you to do two controller joysticks? This feels excruciatingly difficult, I've spent about an hour, got one out and looks like I've scratched the pcb up where I was moving it about.. So it's prob dead but was expecting this on the first go, but it's so hard!

Solder sucker seems to do nothing, watching YouTube videos is painful as they make it look so easy :cry:

State of the pcb! Haven't managed to be able to get the solder out of the holes yet either... Doesn't help I've been doing this on my garage floor..

Last edited:
Humour me, how long does it take you to do two controller joysticks? This feels excruciatingly difficult, I've spent about an hour, got one out and looks like I've scratched the pcb up where I was moving it about.. So it's prob dead but was expecting this on the first go, but it's so hard!

Solder sucker seems to do nothing, watching YouTube videos is painful as they make it look so easy :cry:

State of the pcb! Haven't managed to be able to get the solder out of the holes yet either... Doesn't help I've been doing this on my garage floor..

That's fine nowhere near mangled.. a couple of sticks would probably take me a few mins per stick... the trick is to be at about 415c, add a load of leaded solder and really get it mixed in then with the iron on the hole use the old solder sucker...

Also more flux that board isn't nearly fluxy enough...

Last edited:

I forgot to change the audio source but here is me removing a pot... in silence... I just recorded it especially for you

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom