Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Man of Honour
OP
Still waiting on the switch but have got a few of the most likely parts in ready for the repair. I'm thinking no life/no power it's going to be one of three things. Either the charge port itself has been brutalised or one/both of the BQ24193 (Battery charging IC) or M92T36 (USB-C charge control IC) has gone. All these parts are really cheap and it's pretty easy to diagnose which one has gone so hopefully we should be ready to rock when it gets here.

This is of course assuming the seller is genuine and the switch hasn't actually taken a bath or something.

I do have my original switch to test against and from a quick look around it appears the switch lite has all the same power circuitry as the standard switch bar a couple of little nuances. Looking forward to this and noticed I'm gradually getting more modern... need to go back retro after, thinking a neo geo pocket or a dmg gameboy.

Little video walk around of all three for anybody interested, and yes I made a schoolboy error and recorded it in portrait :cry: :

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Here we go again, another entry in the Vinces ebay console repair saga, lets get straight into fixing that switch. It arrived in the post this morning at about half 11 ish and me being me I couldn't wait to get down to it and have a look. As soon as I opened it up I knew we were going to be in for a ride. I am just going to let the pics do most of the talking...

As promised it doesn't power up.

As I start taking it apart is fairly obvious it's taken a bath... Corrosion..

Water damage indicator

That looks a bit grim...

More corrosion

And more

Whipped out the daughter board and this rail should have a couple of caps on here

One here, instead of the caps we have burnt broken tracks both at the top and the bottom.

There used to be a pad here, rip pad...

Cleaned it up and scraped it back so you can see the breaks...

Little patch wire and the rest is in the video as I didn't take photos :mad::rolleyes:

But we did fix it :cool:

Little video:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Very nice work, wish I had the skills/patience for this

I'll be honest the one so far thats been the most fiddly is the DSi, I was expecting the switch to be a nightmare with all sorts of issues but really that was fairly simple to fix as the damage stuck out and was obvious. Turns out my nephew is already getting a switch for xmas so I guess I may as well sell this one on or keep it. I guess now I need something new to fix again :)

Man of Honour
OP
I used to reshell a lot of the Gameboy Advance SP console, do love a good clamshell console

I would quite like an advanced not the sp advanced but the normal one as I had a purple one when I was younger. Problem is faulty ones on ebay are more expensive than I can buy a working one for in town, saw one in town for £25 last week so I might pop back, buy that and perhaps put an ips in it and re-shell it or something.

Man of Honour
OP
Final little pics of the switch, played an hour or so of sor4. Calling this one done:

4 for 4 so far, if anybody has some suggestions for stuff to fix then let me know :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Decided to do another switch, this time a normal one, no power again so I can try and use some of the chips I bought:

Undecided at the moment but will probably sell the switch lite as right now i'm just accumulating consoles I don't need as I already have a normal switch.

I also bought something a bit more retro in the same colour I had when I was younger. This one is for some modding I think:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
How about a Lynx? Always been the console I've wanted, but nether bought

Got one on watch :D - They seem to go for way too much money and don't come up that often. Also If you go for a lynx you have to go the full hog and do a full recap, screen upgrade etc.

Man of Honour
OP
Nice job on that Switch Lite!
Need to get a rename on this thread, and just keep topping it up with stuff. :D

Thats the plan, I will keep modding and fixing stuff as I'm quite enjoying it, it's a good way to waste a few hours for sure! The DSi took me the longest to sort, much longer than the switch lite even though the switch lite did have more overall damage and probably more pcb damage. I'm looking forward to the OG switch as that's got a little profit in it if it's something I can fix. Again though it's not something I want or need as I already have an OG switch. I am also not really doing it for profit or anything though just sort of doing it as it's a fun way to build up a little collection and to learn something while doing it.

I am going to do a full re-shell, bigger screen, audio amp, power regulator etc on the gameboy colour so if you like a modded system that one might be fun!

Man of Honour
OP

Nothing is too far gone and I'll have a go at pretty much anything. The dsi/3ds etc are just nasty to repair and diagnose, then if you sell which I am likely to they command the same prices broken or working which sort of takes the fun out of it.

Things on my list for fixing that I now have or are on their way...

Atari ST 500
Switch
Switch Lite
Gameboy colour
Sega Master System
Also got my eyes on a lynx.

Soldato
Lynx :cool:
Only time I ever played one was on a childhood holiday in Greece. The game was similar vein to afterburner. It seemed a clunky console with a screen that was too small, but compared to my Game Boy it seemed like future technology.

The decent IPS screens for GBC are so cheap here. About £20 will get you the latest offerings. Definitely something I want to do soon.

Man of Honour
OP
Lynx :cool:
Only time I ever played one was on a childhood holiday in Greece. The game was similar vein to afterburner. It seemed a clunky console with a screen that was too small, but compared to my Game Boy it seemed like future technology.

The decent IPS screens for GBC are so cheap here. About £20 will get you the latest offerings. Definitely something I want to do soon.

I've got a Q5 on the way, it's larger than the OG colour screen and is approx £50, I would never make back what I've spent if I sell the console but there is a decent gameboy library to explore!! As for the lynx, I'll keep looking!!

Soldato
I use a Retroid Pocket 2 quite a lot to play Gameboy, but I feel I'd much rather have og hardware (with better screen). The form factor of the pocket, and even the color are really nice.

Man of Honour
OP
I use a Retroid Pocket 2 quite a lot to play Gameboy, but I feel I'd much rather have og hardware (with better screen). The form factor of the pocket, and even the color are really nice.

I'll all about having the proper hardware. Just looked a bit more at the switch I bought... the m92 charge chip has apparently been removed from the board... this should be very interesting indeed given somebody has already had a go at it...

I can already see missing housing screws etc... perhaps this one might be my first non-fix we shall see!

Back
Top Bottom