Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Man of Honour
OP
Og switch is a no go. It had a short on the PI3 video IC. I removed the IC and the short is still there. I then removed all the main power IC and battery charge IC and we still have a short, tracked it back a bit and the short appears to be coming from the Nvidia SoC, I might take the soc off for science and see if the short goes but in terms of repair I think it's too far gone. I may get a re-ball template for it though and try my luck. Will be interesting to see if it can be done with the tools I have. In the meantime I stole all the resistors/caps around m92 and used them on the switch lite, I also took the charge port off of the og switch and put it on the lite so we can see if it works, so far by doing this I managed to get all the main power rails working:

But it still won't turn on so I have traced the fault back to the area around the Fuel gauge IC MAX17050, I removed that and am waiting for parts again :( Still a 50/50 on this lite as so many components seemed to get damaged by the faulty charge port. I guess we just have to wait and see :D

Fuel gague IC and resistor removed ready for replacement parts:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
replaced that fuel gague IC and the resistor - We now have signs of life but it turns on then straight back off... More troubleshooting required on this one... getting there though:

I think the charge port I stole off of the OG switch may be to blame so thats the next thing to look at.

Associate
Let there be life!

keyboard test online

So on this one we changed 5 caps, 6 resistors, MAX17050, M92T36 and also the charge port! But she is working! Only issue now is the charge port only accepts the charger one way around, Im thinking a broken track on the rear pins so I will take the charge port off again and get the multimeter out :D
Awesome work!! Great fixes there buddy

Man of Honour
OP
Couple of pics of how I'm set up and the parts replaced on the grey switch, I'm not a fan of tiny bga chips but this time it worked out perfectly... This one still only charges one way around so I've ordered a usb-c tester board to see if its my noob soldering skills on the port or a different issue. Mind you it's not really an issue it's just annoying me.

Big screen makes tiny chip look massive!!

I think I put a pic of this above but honestly this thing is tiny!

Some streets of rage to test!

Total cost on this one

Switch - £65
M92T36 - £5
MAX17505 - £3

resistors etc - Stolen from OG switch donor board so no costs there and means that I can still make a bit off of that OG switch which cost £50.

Total spend £73.

I might do a little google sheets to show you guys what each one costs, cost to repair and any profit in them. Kinda like a running "is it worth it" thing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
loving this

Perfect because it isn't going away any time soon :D

I have ordered the following toys:

That's right Gents we are doing a 3DS as well! That adapter board is for testing USB charge port replacements, I should be able to work out if the switch is me not being able to get that usb port on perfectly or a fault at the console side... Again its not a massive deal but I would quite like to know! Oh and another switch! Because why not.

Man of Honour
OP
Have you got any fume extraction going on? Soldering fumes from flux and solder is nasty stuff.

I do, but its a desk fan pointing towards a window right now... Something better is probably smart!

Anyway... Back to it, do you remember I said I have a water damaged megadrive mini that wouldn't power up? Today I spent some time with it. Given it's an all new device that I have no idea how to troubleshoot and a massive lack of info online I just jumped straight in. First thing I did was strip it down and probed the entire board VS a working board, with some help I managed to work out that the Power management IC generates 4 rails, these rails are 1.19, 1.19, 3 and 1.7v rails with the supply voltage being 5v usb my broken water damaged board however wasn't generating all the rails and also wasn't pushing the rails to all the correct places on the board. I measured the inductors and one of the rails was only coming up 0.31v for now and until I can get the correct inductor I give you the bodged megadrive mini :D

Another missing rail :(

The wires are simply pushing voltage to parts of the board that didnt previously have the correct rails apart from the one up front, that wire is bridging the two 1.2v rails, now its not smart to leave it like this because there are two 1.2v rails for a reason either for sequencing or for load so ive ordered in the correct inductor and ill pull the cap that sits next to that inductor as well to make sure its not pulling the rail down. This repair stuff is massive amounts of fun!

Man of Honour
OP
Result well done

2 working megadrive minis is better than 1 :D - The other one ive done some mods to anyway so this one is like a spare :D Obviously if I need to keep the jumpers ill also need to trim them back and clean it up... They are a bit long :cry:

Man of Honour
OP
Turns out I only needed the one jumper on the mini as that was the rail not coming up so I stripped all my testing jumpers back and re-did it for now. Im curious if the inductor or cap (they are paired per rail) is at fault so may remove that power stage entirely and see what is going on. I'm also very much stuck on finding what I need and the ratings so I think ill go with a 1uf Cap and whatever inductor I can find that looks roughly the same. If anybody knows what type of inductor these are then help a brother out :D

Given there is little info out there I started looking at other boards and ran into this...

This is a switch board from that OG switch and this power stage produces the same sort of voltage... I'm thinking ill steal it and see what happens if I add it to megadrive mini. What is the worst that can happen? Might fix our broken power stage, might not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom