Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Seriously?! Awesome, the boy will be over the moon!

As mentioned I bought a new microSD reader, but it was intermittently failing. So was it just a case of hot air-ing the old one off and booping a new on one? I guess you don't really need to strip much off the Switch to get at it too.

All OK with the controllers too? You going red or grey for your set? :D

Seriously?! Awesome, the boy will be over the moon!

As mentioned I bought a new microSD reader, but it was intermittently failing. So was it just a case of hot air-ing the old one off and booping a new on one? I guess you don't really need to strip much off the Switch to get at it too.

All OK with the controllers too? You going red or grey for your set? :D

Yes indeed - Board out, heat from below, tin up the pads, nab a connector from a donor and slap it on. jobs a goodun. fwiw there were some small signs of corrosion around the connector under the scope and signs of ingress around the left intake port at the rear. Nothing we can't handle though!

Joycon wise I replaced the one that was missing the rubber thumb stick... so your one now looks like....

Last edited:

I swapped your red left for a red right :) Will test the joycons etc for drift, if all is well I will swing it back in the morning :)

Last edited:
Superb, I might end up reshelling the joycons with the funky SNES ones at some point anyway thinking about it. :D
I'll get that label sent across to you in a bit.

The little fella will be chuffed to bits. Can't thank you enough, again!

Superb, I might end up reshelling the joycons with the funky SNES ones at some point anyway thinking about it. :D
I'll get that label sent across to you in a bit.

The little fella will be chuffed to bits. Can't thank you enough, again!

You can change the programming of joycons so if you change the colour etc you can flash new firmware to them for the correct colour scheme!

Bought bunch of parts from failed repair attempt... £50 but special edition...

Made switch..

Should have taken more pictures but fuel gauge / pmic issues on the board. Needed a new lcd which I had a few laying around and then the analogues which again I had laying around.

Now I might have to keep this one to go with my pokemon oled.

So I went to test a load of PS3 pads etc last night. Pulled out my backwards ps3 that been absolutely fine every single time I have tested it. Plugged it in, turned it on... green light, yellow light, flashing red light. Now ive bought in new Tokins for it and hopefully can get some UART out of it to tell me what is actually wrong. Quite fancy going the full way with it and doing a 40nm rcx reball on it.

Switch has made it's way back to us, fresh new microSD card and a download of Portal Knights. There is going to be one very happy boy when he gets back from school!

Thank you once again!

Always a pleasure bud you are now in an exclusive group of just 2 switches that have come back for two unrelated repairs :) interestingly yours was missing a bit of padding that keeps pressure down on the slot so I popped a donor reader on that wasn't missing the pad.

Last edited:
Always a pleasure bud you are now in an exclusive group of just 2 switches that have come back for two unrelated repairs :) interestingly yours was missing a bit of padding that keeps pressure down on the slot so I popped a donor reader on that wasn't missing the pad.

Trust my children to break those kind of records.

I think it is a launch day Switch, so it's had a fair innings. It's used and abused daily, I've given up putting screen protectors on them. They last 2 days, the OG screen holds up way better!

Hmm, that might have been me... Oops.

Trust my children to break those kind of records.

I think it is a launch day Switch, so it's had a fair innings. It's used and abused daily, I've given up putting screen protectors on them. They last 2 days, the OG screen holds up way better!

Hmm, that might have been me... Oops.

It is a launch day switch very early unpatched, I used it's unpatched'ness to inject some payloads into it to tell me what was wrong when you sent it to me with bsod :) You cant do this on a lite, oled or a v2 so you need to find different not so easy ways to troubleshoot it. Interestingly you can just inject payloads into other switches with the nand removed and get the same information you need just from if the console replies or not :) if it enters rcm with a battery in etc can tell you where the fault is :) a switch with faulty battery management will not enter rcm with the nand removed if the battery is in the switch but it will if the battery isn't. Just random little indicators you pick up over fixing literally hundreds of the things at board level which often really help with the troubleshooting. I have way too much undocumented switch knowledge that I should absolutely document.

I recently did a video for a local repair shop on the method for removing switch lite LCD's without breaking them or melting them. I broke quite a few perfecting the art but there is 100% a method that makes it quick, easy and you only need to use hot air for a few seconds on one edge right at the end.

Last edited:
You definitely need to start a Vince-ipedia of console repair related knowledge, do it! I'm sure you have hours of spare time in which to do it too :D

Am totally swimming in spare time :cry: and I have a backlog of stuff im struggling to clear. I still have a few ocuk peoples stuff some ive done little more than check its arrived safe, one ive ordered a battery for twice now and still northing has turned up and that's been like 6 weeks. Thats the thing about this game if you are stacked with spares like I am for the switch and game gear then you can do a job quick because you know with a high degree of confidence that you have whatever part it may be in spares. As soon as you stray too far from that and start working on lots of different gpu's and laptops ect as soon as you need spares you have to go out and find them. Weirdly ive had a lot of delivery problems recently including royal mail its killing me. For example I bought two game gears from ebay 10 weeks ago. The seller sent them royal mail signed for. They turned up yesterday after the seller has already refunded me.

I have also had a lot of things just not turn up recently I dunno if thats just because of the sheer number of deliveries I get or what but its stressing me out.

Last edited:
@Vince that is a nice colour, my daughter would be happy with that.

Shame I can't show her as its a surprise gift for her.

Bash

All of the bits for this build are now on the way :) Excited to build another gameboy with all the goodies! we are talking q5, lipo mods, full recap, amp/speaker, flash cart, shell, buttons... the whole hog :D

What about internal LED kits and clicky buttons? do we want switch like uprated buttons and internal led mods? - Do they even do them on the colour let me see :)

Edit: mod kits for LED are a big fat yes, there are plenty of options on that. Just on the clicky button hunt the GBA mod kit might work but we shall take a closer look. Mind you it starts stacking up in cost pretty quickly - The screen alone is like £50 but worth every penny :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom