Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

@Vince It charges.. it's recognised.. all the buttons work..

but the switch does not think it's plugged into the switch.. it still think it's a remote joycon.. it's very wierd.

R.

Ahh that can also be pins in the joycon rail switch side... so remove the rail, pop out the retaining pin... you will be able to see the internal pins :) but if you said the switch works with any other joycon then not likely that. There are a few places beyond that to start looking but at that point its getting the soldering iron out

Last edited:
Ahh that can also be pins in the joycon rail switch side... so remove the rail, pop out the retaining pin... you will be able to see the internal pins :) but if you said the switch works with any other joycon then not likely that. There are a few places beyond that to start looking but at that point its getting the soldering iron out

The switch works with 2 other controllers on the same (right) side absolutely fine.. so I really don't think it's switch side..

The switch works with 2 other controllers on the same (right) side absolutely fine.. so I really don't think it's switch side..

Yea i doubt its that then. next up check the ribbon that goes to the bottom rail and see how it looks, probably easier to just replace the rail joycon side and see if that resolves it. They arent crazy money just a few £

Yea i doubt its that then. next up check the ribbon that goes to the bottom rail and see how it looks, probably easier to just replace the rail joycon side and see if that resolves it. They arent crazy money just a few £

Both ribbons look fine as far as I can tell. So as you say, a replace of the rail is probably the thing to try and see what happens. Is that an easy thing to replace? I mean it looks easyish.. from the inside.. ribbons a bit fiddly prehaps?

Thanks for your help/advice so far!
R.

Both ribbons look fine as far as I can tell. So as you say, a replace of the rail is probably the thing to try and see what happens. Is that an easy thing to replace? I mean it looks easyish.. from the inside.. ribbons a bit fiddly prehaps?

Thanks for your help/advice so far!
R.

Nice and easy to do - I would also check the fuse to the charge IC common for these to go as well.

Nice and easy to do - I would also check the fuse to the charge IC common for these to go as well.

Not even sure what that means.. or where to look, or where to get a fuse from.. :)

What would you charge to look at the 3 joycons I have? and get them all fixed up? or.. if you think I could have a go myself, what would you charge to send me the few bits I need? you said you had somewhere you could get bits reasonably cheap?

I think I may have an old handheld or two lying around as part payment if you were interested?

Let me know, and thanks again.
R.

Not even sure what that means.. or where to look, or where to get a fuse from.. :)

What would you charge to look at the 3 joycons I have? and get them all fixed up? or.. if you think I could have a go myself, what would you charge to send me the few bits I need? you said you had somewhere you could get bits reasonably cheap?

I think I may have an old handheld or two lying around as part payment if you were interested?

Let me know, and thanks again.
R.

I could fix a couple of joycons if the thread demands joycons be fixed we can fix joycons :D I mean spares wise it depends how good you are with soldering really tiny things but if you can work out whats wrong with it by poking it with the multimeter I can provide spare parts as in, board level parts like IC's, fuses, connectors etc :D If you aren't comfortable with that swing them my way pay for parts and provide a few beers and we shall fix some joycons together. it wont be super quick turn around though as ive got a bit of a queue going on and do only do it on the side as a hobby.

Because i have big boxes of donor switch stuff that is properly broken I can steal parts from all over the show. For example the shoulder buttons can be stolen from switch lite donor boards and daughters, the fuses connctors etc can also be harvested from all over the show.

Last edited:
I could fix a couple of joycons if the thread demands joycons be fixed we can fix joycons :D I mean spares wise it depends how good you are with soldering really tiny things but if you can work out whats wrong with it by poking it with the multimeter I can provide spare parts as in, board level parts like IC's, fuses, connectors etc :D

Because i have big boxes of donor switch stuff that is properly broken that I can steal parts off.

I think two of them can be fixed without resorting to such manly things as soldering.. :)

One is a thumb stick replacement, the other a shoulder button..

The only one I have no idea about is the wierd .. not recognised being plugged in.. and as you say.. possibly a rail replacement might fix it..

So if I PM you my address and throw you some beer money.. could you post me some spare parts?.. if the rail replacement doesn't work, than I shall definately send you the joycon.. as I wouldn't want you to lose sleep not knowing how to fix a particular problem ;)

R.

I think two of them can be fixed without resorting to such manly things as soldering.. :)

One is a thumb stick replacement, the other a shoulder button..

The only one I have no idea about is the wierd .. not recognised being plugged in.. and as you say.. possibly a rail replacement might fix it..

So if I PM you my address and throw you some beer money.. could you post me some spare parts?.. if the rail replacement doesn't work, than I shall definately send you the joycon.. as I wouldn't want you to lose sleep not knowing how to fix a particular problem ;)

R.

shoulder button is a solder job on one side joycon, cant remember what side off the top of my head but yea it commonly breaks on the one that you need to solder :) - if its the one that doesnt need soldering then just swing me some pics of the parts you need and we can make it happen :) a list would be good :)

also knowing what side joycon has what problem :) That way I know what parts also there are several revisions of both left and right joycon so yea just pm me pics of them open is easiest way :D

Last edited:
Into randon box of donor joycon parts and I think I see the flex/buttons you need.

This board here is the one with more than 1 revision

Last edited:
Yes that looks like the right button..

so are there two different versions of the charging rail? given the different board revisions?

20230621_090647_s.jpg

does the above help? it has two ribbons to the charging rail.. or do I need to go deeper?

R.

Yes that looks like the right button..

so are there two different versions of the charging rail? given the different board revisions?

20230621_090647_s.jpg

does the above help? it has two ribbons to the charging rail.. or do I need to go deeper?

R.

Thats fine, one of the ribbons is just the R buttons and the led lights. Is this the one that doesnt charge proper? There is only one rail :)

Last edited:
Thats fine, one of the ribbons is just the R buttons and the led lights. Is this the one that doesnt charge proper? There is only one rail :)

It charges fine, all the buttons etc. work fine. It's just not recognised as being plugged into the switch itself.. So it's the one I want to change the rail on, and see if that makes any difference.

I have 2 others, one where the thumb stick press down has stopped working, and the other where the shoulder button no longer works.. (the shoulder button one is also missing the rubber off the top of the thumb stick, and if they really are only 60p each.. then I may as well replace that at the same time).

PM me how much you want for the various bits, and i'll send that across, plus a couple of beer tokens for the help so far!

R.

Want to see something pretty cool? Every now and again I come across random accessories that back in the day were pretty cool but to find them in mint condition today is awesome.

Boxed and complete and more interestingly still fully working and holding good charge.

And this is another electronics boutique boxed accessory. Given Boutique shut in 2002, 21 years ago its mad to come across these now in such new shape. The gameboy colour came in today as a faulty colour. I quickly fixed it up for some testing! @bash25 this is one of the many colours I picked up for some custom builds :D makes a very tidy donor and a great base for some mods!

Last edited:
@Vince that is a nice colour, my daughter would be happy with that.

Shame I can't show her as its a surprise gift for her.

Bash

Atomic purple - classic nintendo shell colour :) And also the colour I often choose when building custom switches :) I've done a few with the hand painted and one sprayed design rear internal pannel and they look awesome once done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom