Vince's Ebay Repair Thread - (Console Repairs & Mods)

Man of Honour
OP
This month is an absolutley insane one for me as spending a lot of time on the office for just one month only... that means stuff is stacking up!! I have a ridiculous amount to get into as soon as some time frees up!!

And I didnt know the GBP had two revisions.. one with a led light, one without. did you know that?

Last edited:
Associate
That's a haul Vince!

Hot air station you all recommended was great (went 595d in the end , accessories, uk plug)

Two things I've noticed, my magnifying glass with light, I bought this for straightening bent cpu pins.
It's just OK, but you need to close one eye so loose depth perception.

Is there a cost effective half house? I see proper microscopes are £200 plus. Soldering tip is huge also.

Mega drive that came ijust needed parts from, I tested and was working fine !

Man of Honour
OP
That's a haul Vince!

Hot air station you all recommended was great (went 595d in the end , accessories, uk plug)

Two things I've noticed, my magnifying glass with light, I bought this for straightening bent cpu pins.
It's just OK, but you need to close one eye so loose depth perception.

Is there a cost effective half house? I see proper microscopes are £200 plus. Soldering tip is huge also.

Mega drive that came ijust needed parts from, I tested and was working fine !
ok this is my half way house!! I have the 4k one of these was about 100 quid shipped to me and is pretty awesome.

Only really had the time recently to do a gameboy which is actually on the way to an overclocker. I also looked at an overclockers GPU and cant fix that sadly :( other than that ive been doing a big infrastructure project with work that comes to an end at the end of this week. I then go camping with some pals for a few days at the weekend but when I am back I am going to crack on with stuff. First thing I need to get out of my office is that laptop that came back - I waited what felt like an eternity for a battery and thats now been here for coming up a week but realistically thats the first thing to do when back from camping.

Oh and I made a thing ill post about after dinner :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
A little look at the gameboy I built.. it's got all the goodies, shell, buttons, amp, lipo mod, q5 display, new speaker etc... basically everything you want from a modded gameboy:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
And that thing I was meant to post last night... I made a thing... most of the swans you see in the UK seemingly don't have battery compartments and they are also seemingly impossible to replace so we made them instead!

3d printers are just so useful for all kinds of stuff so thought I better make some use of my ones. :)

Interestingly though the original battery compartment has a 0ohm resistor negative side which I can't for the life of me work out why, at first I thought it was some sort of polarity protection (something the game gear desperately needs) but the Swan seemingly has that on the main board as reverse polarity does nothing to the console and there are a couple of diodes on board to deal with it. I'd love to know why the original has that though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
SO back in the game - Im scheduling some time to look at some things this week :) - Still busy with work but its calming down a bit :) - This week it's laptop, a cpu and a motherboard :D None of it is consoles but would we like to see some pin replacement on a 5950x? a complete recap of a s939 board and testing that laptop charge circuit. ill throw some consoles in there for good measure as well. I did just spend about £500 on parts for all the builds I have on my shelf as well so ill be sharing some awesome Gameboy, Game gear and swan builds as well :)

Man of Honour
OP
just stumbled on this can you fix older ps3 got 2 60gb a switch and 2 xbox 360 ?

Have a look back, switches are my specialty and what I fix the most of :) I have done quite a few members switches over the years but they mostly get to me when they are bsod machines and have had some attempted repair etc!

After that I fix pretty much anything but tend to take on random projects for ocuk people to get some content up in here and for which I don't charge but its a lot of fun interacting with the community and the good community of ocuk just throw me some beer tokens every now and then. I cant however take that many Ocuk projects because I can't commit as much time as I would need to accept everything people would like me to play with.

I'm currently sitting on perhaps 5 ocuk members things so wouldn't take any more until some of these go home.

Man of Honour
OP
Anybody familiar with these?

Proper cool little device! Came to me no power and was a super easy fix (corrosion on battery connector), inside is super simple but cool. When I open up the second one for cleaning I'll get some shots :)

Another cool thing not many are aware of, did we know some swan games (very few) can be hardware modded from JP to other languages?

I'll send some shots when running but this is one such game that can be hardware modded to English :)

Last edited:
Permabanned
Have a look back, switches are my specialty and what I fix the most of :) I have done quite a few members switches over the years but they mostly get to me when they are bsod machines and have had some attempted repair etc!

After that I fix pretty much anything but tend to take on random projects for ocuk people to get some content up in here and for which I don't charge but its a lot of fun interacting with the community and the good community of ocuk just throw me some beer tokens every now and then. I cant however take that many Ocuk projects because I can't commit as much time as I would need to accept everything people would like me to play with.

I'm currently sitting on perhaps 5 ocuk members things so wouldn't take any more until some of these go home.
No worries just an ask, ove what you are doing. Will dagur right through the thread. rather than throwing stuff out there is people outhere who can fix. Will follow this if that's ok.

Man of Honour
OP
Well i replaced the broken pins on the 5950x... this is my donor 1600x

And the 5950x with broken pins...

forgot to take before shots on the 5950x but can you guess the two pins replaced bottom row? Just about to test it in my wifes rig :) Only 2 needed replacing the rest i gently bent back :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Looks like 2 pins top right corner
Not that really matters
If can see the difference
As long as it works
It's still very tidily done though

5th and 6th pins along bottom row are the ones I replaced :) you can see them in Terry's photo :) I stole the 2 easiest to steal from the 1600x donor so when I find a cheap dead cpu floating about I can just pop a few pins on.

Memory controllers tend to be a bunch of pins along the edge so that's where I will be focusing tonight. The edge closest to the memory

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom