virgin atlantic upper class worth the cost?

I think this is just the refurbished leisure fleet, departing from Gatwick / Manchester.

For LA it would be Heathrow.

LA is A340-600 operated on VS, not 747's anyway. If he flies to Las Vegas he'll get a 747 from Gatwick (Though I'd never recommend this on the California triangle route, its much cheaper to LA so why bother).

[TW]Fox;23616164 said:
I can't even justify that. Looking at flights for September and PE is about twice as much as economy. Just can't see it's worth that for a wider seat and lots more legroom. I'd rather (and indeed will) put the money towards a really nice hire car and better hotels or even extending the trip - you could do extra days on the difference. More days in the USA > a nicer seat on a plane.

Obviously depends on how much money you earn and how much holiday you get. I get (or rather take) very little holiday so being a bit more comfortable, and being able to sleep and make the most of the day firstly that I arrive and secondly that I land is important to me.

Obviously depends on how much money you earn and how much holiday you get. I get (or rather take) very little holiday so being a bit more comfortable, and being able to sleep and make the most of the day firstly that I arrive and secondly that I land is important to me.

You don't get a bed in PE though? And because of the time difference only the return flights tend to be overnight anyway, sleeping on a daytime flight outside of the privacy of First with a bed and a little pod is pretty hard anyway, all the windows are open, the crew are coming through, etc..

Just think, you could take an extra day or two unpaid leave for the price difference, meaning more time on holiday, if time is an issue ;)

Once you get to a certain income level this becomes immaterial, but then if thats you you don't need to ask OcUk if its 'worth it'. You just know whether it is.

Last edited:
I get (or rather take) very little holiday so being a bit more comfortable, and being able to sleep and make the most of the day firstly that I arrive and secondly that I land is important to me.

What on earth does that mean? Do you think you simply fall out the back of the plane in economy? Or they have a seat lottery to eject you from the plane?

Check the seat plan on some VA 747 flights as we recently got Economy seats on the upper floor.

I was on the upper deck on a flight to San Francisco last year but lower on the way back and I think I preferred the lower - principally because I had a window seat and the curvature of the wall/ceiling was much less on the lower deck so it was much better to sleep against.

I've never flown upper class but currently there's no way it would be worth it for me to double or triple the price of my flights for the additional luxury that is afforded to you.

What on earth does that mean? Do you think you simply fall out the back of the plane in economy? Or they have a seat lottery to eject you from the plane?

No, he's saying he needs to be able to sleep on the plane so he can have a fresh day when he gets back, it was just a typo.

When paying yourself the extra price doesn't add up, i've only managed to fall asleep a few times in a flat bed on a plane, you simple get knocked about too much / you have too many distractions going on, yes it's nice to have better service, drinks and food, plus the bigger LCD plus sometimes better movie selection is great.

You do feel slightly more 'refreshed' but when it's a night flight you still know you've had basically naff all sleep.

Would i pay another 2k for it, would i heck.

I've done a London > LA flight with Virgin on economy. Plane was only half full so once we were up we could lounge around and lie on a few seats if we were tired.

On the way back from San Fran > London we upgraded to next step up from economy. Wasn't worth. No noticeable leg room difference, I found the seats more uncomfortable and definitely wasn't worth the extra £4-500 it cost. :(

[TW]Fox;23616245 said:
No, he's saying he needs to be able to sleep on the plane so he can have a fresh day when he gets back, it was just a typo.

I've only flown business or first a handful of times back from the USA (just s single leg upgrade, and not at full price!), but I've just gone straight back in to work after landing because I've been able to get some sleep. When flying economy I've never managed to sleep, so the day you get back after night flight and no sleep is normally a write off.

[TW]Fox;23616217 said:
Just think, you could take an extra day or two unpaid leave for the price difference, meaning more time on holiday, if time is an issue ;)

Time is probably the most valuable commodity I have at the moment, when you run a business and work 80 hour weeks, any time off is welcome but is still time away from driving the business.

I'm pretty lucky in that I can sleep more or less anywhere, which annoys the hell out of my girlfriend and my dad who can't sleep on planes.

Having said that, there is a noticeable difference in comfort trying to sleep in an economy seat to PE or Business, never mind First. Flying to the east coast is much 'easier' than the west coast as well.

It's hard to find fault with Fox's logic though.

My personal ethos is the less I spend getting to somewhere the more money I can spend going places. I would much rather be buying numerous economy flights rather than less frequent premium ones. Everyone has different needs, but that's mine :)

For around £300 you can fix quite a few economy issues.

* £32 - Extra luggage (£32 each way (pack a soft bag in your case on the way out to save £32))
* £199 - Better entertainment (Nexus 7)
* £60 - Noise cancelling headphones (Goldring NS1000 are decent for the low price)
* £5 - Better food (Boots meal deal in the airport!)

Plus you get to keep most of it.

The only time I fly business is if:

1) If it is a >5hr flight and the price is too good to miss (maximum double the economy ticket price*is me ceiling) - it says a lot that I haven't upgraded beyond premium economy on a leisure flight yet using this rule.
2) If on a long business trip flight I have to land and do something pretty much straight away/with little sleep.
3) If on a business trip I have to work during a long flight.

Last edited:
True, but having your own choice of what to watch is a better way to spend the time.

I dunno, the list was pretty good on economy from BA when I flew in October.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
American Reunion
Brave
Fight Club
Friends With Kids
Marvel’s The Avengers
Men in Black 3
Prometheus
Rock of Ages
Seeking A Friend For The End of the World
Snow White and the Huntsman
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Hunger Games
The Social Network
Wrath of the Titans
Dark Shadows
Battleship
Magic Mike
What to Expect When You’re Expecting
The Five-Year Engagement

[TW]Fox;23616332 said:
My personal ethos is the less I spend getting to somewhere the more money I can spend going places. I would much rather be buying numerous economy flights rather than less frequent premium ones. Everyone has different needs, but that's mine :)
I agree with that in principle. Practically, though, if I have lots of money and an inability to go on many trips in a year I'd be more tempted to make every minute of that one/few trips extra spesh.

Back
Top Bottom