Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Got a text earlier for my move advising VM need to do external work before my move date and asked if it was ok, (it needs a cable running up to the property as it's not been connected before) don't recall getting that in the past when they've needed to do the same.
if they mean actually up to the property ie the front wall of the house, then if it's set back from the public streetfront they need access to private land, so presumably need permission. If you're not in yet then you need to check with the existing owners. Unless you've exchanged in which case it's a bit more murky as to who is the owner. Probably best contact the seller and let them know to expect it out of courtesy if nothing else.

Soldato
if they mean actually up to the property ie the front wall of the house, then if it's set back from the public streetfront they need access to private land, so presumably need permission. If you're not in yet then you need to check with the existing owners. Unless you've exchanged in which case it's a bit more murky as to who is the owner. Probably best contact the seller and let them know to expect it out of courtesy if nothing else.

Empty property and the current owners live next door to it as it's private drive to both houses, we've told them about it already when we popped up Friday to have one final look before moving in (they have the VM cable into their house but the owner of the one we're buying never had internet)

Associate
Retention deals are hit and miss. I think they have quotas or something, affecting what they offer.

Last week when I served my notice they offered a 12 month contract, 100mb for £26 a month, the rep sounded desperate, I was unsure so declined.

When I called back Saturday they offered a 18 month contract, 100mb for £31 a month. I had to withdraw my 30 day notice hoping to call back from a position of strength.

I called back today and they straight away mentioned the recent times I called and offered nothing. I served 30 days notice again and will stick to it.

If they don't call back I will sign up in another name to start the day I leave.

Soldato
Well my Ooomh bundle is due to go up to £139.00, already had a guy from retentions offer me it for £86 for 18 months, not bad £53 saving off that bat ;)

Consider what you get e.g. M500 broadband (will go up to M600), 2 x V6 boxes, phoneline, all the TV/Movies you can eat + an unlimited data sim I actually don't think that's too bad!

Problem is a get little to no use out of the sim anymore or the V6 boxes etc, I'm going to see what he can do M500 + phoneline for ;)

Seems like the going rate for 516Mbps (36Mbps) Fibre Broadband + Phone is £45 for 18 months, so that's £38 less than the Ooomph bundle.

Soldato
Retention deals are hit and miss. I think they have quotas or something, affecting what they offer.

Last week when I served my notice they offered a 12 month contract, 100mb for £26 a month, the rep sounded desperate, I was unsure so declined.

When I called back Saturday they offered a 18 month contract, 100mb for £31 a month. I had to withdraw my 30 day notice hoping to call back from a position of strength.

I called back today and they straight away mentioned the recent times I called and offered nothing. I served 30 days notice again and will stick to it.

If they don't call back I will sign up in another name to start the day I leave.

It depends on a number of variables, the rep has a soft monthly credit spend limit, an individual credit limit and looks at things like the number of faults/complaints logged on the account, payment history etc. and I believe now has more specific guidance on what they can offer.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well my Ooomh bundle is due to go up to £139.00, already had a guy from retentions offer me it for £86 for 18 months, not bad £53 saving off that bat ;)

Consider what you get e.g. M500 broadband (will go up to M600), 2 x V6 boxes, phoneline, all the TV/Movies you can eat + an unlimited data sim I actually don't think that's too bad!

Problem is a get little to no use out of the sim anymore or the V6 boxes etc, I'm going to see what he can do M500 + phoneline for ;)

Seems like the going rate for 516Mbps (36Mbps) Fibre Broadband + Phone is £45 for 18 months, so that's £38 less than the Ooomph bundle.

Sucks ass, they offered me nothing!

Man of Honour
Soldato
Hah, must have heard me, retentions just called got ultimate oomph for £86 for 18 months, taking that, pretty much what I wanted.

Wasted 20 quid getting a 4g modem......:p
nah not wasted. backup is always wise. when the occasional network outage occurs you'll be glad of that. Plus great for taking with you on holidays.

I've been having so many connectivity issues recently. My Virgin internet is currently down. They keep having area issues and as I had an old modem, they sent out an engineer on Monday to swap it over. Yesterday and today my internet goes off again. I spoke to the engineer about it and he said my area is over subscribed and they give priority to business during the day. Due to the constant problems and me not being able to work, I am worried I will be recalled to the office or worse. Due to my health, I really don't want to risk that.

Trying to simply speak to someone about it is almost impossible. You try the number and get put on hold for 30 mins before the call cuts off costing me a fortune no doubt. Today I found how to complain via email and have done so.

Associate
Whilst I haven't had connection drops, it has been pretty choppy for the last couple of days in my area (area reference 15). Work video calls still OK at the moment though, I haven't done any online gaming to test

Associate
I've got 350Mb VM with a SH3 and i've been putting off doing something about the intermittant drop out's on the wifi until now, i've had enough.

I'm reading that a mesh network wifi is the best way to go rather than try a repeater. Has anyone got any recommendations on which mesh router to go for?

Currently looking at TP-Link M5 x 3 solution to go alongside my AV1200 powerlines.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
My deal's just ended and the few offers I've had are for higher speeds with a TV package. Don't really need the extra speed or their TV packages so have text them to see if they can offer anything better. Does anyone have any experience of switching to BT? They seem to have deals on at the moment, and with cashback it works out to be a lot cheaper, but it does mean I would be tied into a 24 month contract.

Soldato
I've got 350Mb VM with a SH3 and i've been putting off doing something about the intermittant drop out's on the wifi until now, i've had enough.

I'm reading that a mesh network wifi is the best way to go rather than try a repeater. Has anyone got any recommendations on which mesh router to go for?

Currently looking at TP-Link M5 x 3 solution to go alongside my AV1200 powerlines.

Not a netgear given the recently revealed critical vulnerabilities across their range that they're refusing to patch for over half the affected models. I would go hub in modem mode -> bespoke firewall -> router.

Back
Top Bottom