Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Sh2 and sh2ac go up to 200mb/s +-10% or so. I've had mine give me 225 on one test usually 215. They don't have the puma chipset SFAIK or if they do it's not the problem one that arrived with the hub 3. I rolled back from hub 3 for that reason and I was on their top tier 200mb package and it has been 200mb on their System since. I got a letter once saying they'd move me to 300mb for free but every bill has stayed at 200mb. No price reduction mind when the top speed moved past this.

Soldato
Thought superhub2 cpu is too slow for handling throughput of 350meg plus speeds? Its probably intel puma chipset which is known to have latency issues.

It’s not CPU related, it’s the number of channels that can be bonded (8x4 on SH2, 24x8 on SH3), the particular Intel SoC in use in the SH2 isn’t affected by the Puma issues that Intel inherited from TI’s legacy, sadly the SH3 and SH4 are still affected, but the mitigation’s in the 4 ‘should’ make it largely irrelevant unless you actually provoke it, the UDP issue is still present in both and that’s more of a concern, though at least that can be worked around by a user.

Soldato
Some users on the virgin media forums say virgin purposely used the puma chipset since its latency issues help to take some stress off the virgin network itself. Any take on this theory?

Permabanned
Would not surprise me lol.

I mean it was no doubt unintentional with the HUB3 but to buy into the same crap with the HUB4 though it is more powerful so does not effect it as much.

Soldato
Some users on the virgin media forums say virgin purposely used the puma chipset since its latency issues help to take some stress off the virgin network itself. Any take on this theory?

It's usually the sort of illogical post made by people who have no grasp of how time, supply agreements or Liberty Global's choices dictate the hardware VM use.

The bug in question relates to Texas Instruments time, Intel purchased them and re-branded the chipset, it was still unknown when Intel released it's own branded SoC's, same when Arris integrated them and again when Liberty Global awarded them the supply contract across all? of it's markets. So TI cocked up, Intel cocked up, Arris cocked up, LG cocked up and VM has near zero input on hardware it gets given. Does that sound like they chose anything, let alone did so to reduce network load when they've over provisioned and increased speeds multiple times for affected customers over the years? I mean even if the flaw came to light early, the supply contract would have been agreed well before the products first launched and VM have no way of dodging that bullet. I also doubt intel had any awareness, if they did, they would have quietly notified partners and released a firmware fix ahead of disclosure, they took months and months along with multiple attempts to fix the issue and it's still only mitigated.

The whole situation is a mess, but VM is stuck with the Hub4 and potentially further generations (though i'd be amazed if Intel hasn't sorted it's SoC's by then). Even if VM identify the issue during internal testing (and having been involved in closed internal trials and UAT with VM, I would love to now what they're playing at not to do basic throughput tests using the two most common protocols in use), they can only feedback the issue and hope it's raised with Arris who would then confirm it's a SoC hardware issue and pass back to intel.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all. First time posting on VM. I don’t know the technicalities of what’s being discussed but I get the general gist of it. Basically I have a smart hub 2 with BT on 50meg speed. I just got myself a new Quest 2 VR headset and i want to run it wirelessly for PCVR use. Apparently it works best with Wifi 6 standard although I understand this is not offered by any of the ISP’s in the form of a router yet. I thought I’d check VM out and realised I can get up to 1Gig speed. Kinda disappointed to read all the issues ref the Hub 4 and customer service. Will I definately have issues with the m200 product they offer ? Do all new customers experience the same issues ? Should I stick with an Openreach provider until it’s sorted ? Can these latency issues be sorted if I was to use the hub 4 as a modem and get a quality router ? Forgive my lack of knowledge here. I just need to know more as I was about to leave BT for VM. Thanks in advance

Rasher

Soldato
The issues being discussed are for the most part not a problem anymore on the Hub 3, I don’t experience the latency bug, but I’m not a big gamer. The UDP issue is a little different and so far is still awaiting an official fix, it’s easy enough to push UDP traffic over a TCP tunnel though.

Soldato
The issues being discussed are for the most part not a problem anymore on the Hub 3, I don’t experience the latency bug, but I’m not a big gamer. The UDP issue is a little different and so far is still awaiting an official fix, it’s easy enough to push UDP traffic over a TCP tunnel though.

i got latency issue with hub3 noticeable on geforce now game streaming to the shield tv. shield tv is wired.

Associate
Has anyone actually managed to get through to support recently? Second time sitting on holding music for nearly 1 hour then they cut the line. Their chat service is also offline.

Soldato
Has anyone actually managed to get through to support recently? Second time sitting on holding music for nearly 1 hour then they cut the line. Their chat service is also offline.
Usually get through within 20-30 mins.

Has anyone rang today yet and got a good deal? It's a new month and offers/deals reset for the CS team, they should have some pretty decent offerings compared to last week.

Back
Top Bottom