Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Out of interest, given that VM have said they're going to gradually replace all their HFC network with FTTP, what terminating equipment is used on their FTTP connections?

I replaced the BT DSL modem with an Asus router which is separated from my home network by a pf Sense firewall.

Are you running the Asus box in "modem only" mode or are you actually double-NAT-ed?

If so then the hub (in modem mode) just replaces the Asus box in your set up.

VM don't put coaxial cable in Openreach ducts, so any network expansion done via PIA will be fibre. It's then converted to DOCSIS in a box on the outside of your house.

How do you get the hub5 offer? Still on hub3 but on 500Mb. Solved a recent packet loss issue by removing the attenuator that VM installed years ago when I got the 200Mb package and they insisted on an engineer installing the hub 2. and now considering the Gig1 package in the new year.

If you have o2 phone service you will get a speed grade bump as a volt benefit, sounds like you are on 600 as that is what I get (downloads at ~690Mb)

I've considered a sim plan to get 1Gb cheaper but I don't really need it, if the upload was stronger I'd do it.

Damn that's a good deal, the 02 site says you get bumped up to the next available service for account so that would be 1Gbit for me. 02 also have a 160GB mobile data black friday deal on for £20 a month. Shame I'm half way through an EE 24 months contract else I'd have gone for that to benefit from the VM free upgrade.

Next time...

This merge seems to have brought good results then! I downgraded my O2 tarrif to 5b as I use on average 9, so as they double it, 10gb for 5gb was perfect. Hope I can get the new hub soon, the hub 4 runs hot

I can't get over how fast 600+ is, don't think I would ever need 1gb.

Never any buffering, and if I'm not going to be playing a game for a week or so whilst I play another game, I'll just uninstall it, I'm reinstalling Assassins Creed Valhalla and at 140gb, it takes less than 1 hour, brilliant.

Last edited:
This merge seems to have brought good results then! I downgraded my O2 tarrif to 5b as I use on average 9, so as they double it, 10gb for 5gb was perfect. Hope I can get the new hub soon, the hub 4 runs hot

I can't get over how fast 600+ is, don't think I would ever need 1gb.

Never any buffering, and if I'm not going to be playing a game for a week or so whilst I play another game, I'll just uninstall it, I'm reinstalling Assassins Creed Valhalla and at 140gb, it takes less than 1 hour, brilliant.

It would be worth confirming your speeds with some speedtest because if you are using ubi connect as the barometer of download speed it is optimistic perhaps taking compression into account as I am seeing 90odd on this but the ethernet speed graph in task manager is doing 480-600Mb, whereas something like Steam will flatline my connection and do the max of 80odd.

The link to details for those who haven't seen it.

Introducing Volt – Virgin Media O2’s new supercharged service | Virgin

Back
Top Bottom