Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Mine is OK too, worse than my old G.Fast connection but acceptable, in addition it has actually improved in my area since I got it and now see single digit pings which it never used to managed.

Man of Honour
i was wondering why latency is worse on virgin media than a standard fttc/fttp connection ?
It was built as a cable TV network originally and wasn't designed for high speed broadband per se. It is improving over time but will be a few years yet until its fully changed to be full fibre all the way although to be honest 99.9% of users wouldn't notice or care their latency being 20ms instead of 10ms or whatever.

Soldato
It was built as a cable TV network originally and wasn't designed for high speed broadband per se. It is improving over time but will be a few years yet until its fully changed to be full fibre all the way although to be honest 99.9% of users wouldn't notice or care their latency being 20ms instead of 10ms or whatever.
True, but as discussed at length earlier in the thread that's only latency at idle - which is pretty worthless. Under load, Virgin (DOCSIS) is appalling and the latency skyrockets (bufferbloat) both up and downstream compared to other solutions. That's most definitely noticeable to end users, whether in glitchy video and VoIP calls or slow resolution of webpages and missed packets during gaming. Congestion control such as cake is essential for a VM connection, and even then it only helps - it doesn't fix it. Unfortunately, VM's switch to 'fibre' will still terminate to DOCSIS at the CPE, so there's still going to be issues compared to a full fat solution.

Man of Honour
Hmm people mentioning latency, I can get around 10ms on speed tests and that's with a 20 metre Cat5e run to my machine. Nothing spectacular network wise either, Realtek 2.5Gb NIC > TP-Link Gigabit 16 port switch > RT-AC68U > SH3.

5XEDI3I.png

VM's upload speeds really do need to be upped though. Yeah it's 50Mb on the Gig1 speed but it is congested most of the day so caps out at around 20-30Mbps it seems.

Associate
That's most definitely noticeable to end users, whether in glitchy video and VoIP calls or slow resolution of webpages and missed packets during gaming.

I've only had it a year but can't think of a single time I experienced any of that, definitely increased latency to my game and work servers of say an extra 5-7ms but zero problems on calls or anything.

Soldato
Hmm people mentioning latency, I can get around 10ms on speed tests and that's with a 20 metre Cat5e run to my machine. Nothing spectacular network wise either, Realtek 2.5Gb NIC > TP-Link Gigabit 16 port switch > RT-AC68U > SH3.

Now run RRUL and test under load. Speedest lists your idle latency. :)

Man of Honour
Now run RRUL and test under load. Speedest lists your idle latency. :)

Not sure what that is but I guess some kind of tool the maxes out the connnection whilst speedtest runs?

In my typical usage worst case scenario that's relevant to this really is that I'll be donwloading at 100MB/s on usenet whilst gaming/doing other stuff online and this is the result whilst I did a test just now of a Linux distro download :p

N0ni4EV.png

Man of Honour
I've only had it a year but can't think of a single time I experienced any of that, definitely increased latency to my game and work servers of say an extra 5-7ms but zero problems on calls or anything.
Same. I sometimes need to upload things for work which will max out the ~35mbit upload and have been on work video/voice calls, RDP sessions etc whilst its doing it without issue.

Associate
To be honest even my missus who is on the same connection but has the internet repeating through two wifi routers to the attic uses it all day with zero issues and that really has to be a worst case for the connection, I told her if there were issues I'd drop an ethernet out side so she is aware that it can be better if she needs it but zero complaints, she video calls in big team meetings all day, it's her company policy to use webcams for WFH.

I think there are issues you can find with the connection when you look at benchmarks etc but what you notice in reality is another thing.

Soldato
Just tried to get a better price, they offered to boost me to 500MB from 350 for extra £0.75 per month. After I turned that down had to go to chat on WhatsApp, never used that so had to install. They then offered to reduce price £5 per month or boost to 1GB for £0.75 extra per month. I did not take any as would be new contract and I am thinking of changing to Sky as it look to be cheaper. VM's network has been a bit unreliable for me over the last 12 months, been on/off for a few hours today and they never admit it. Also, having to install a facebook app really ****** me off, never used any of that ***** before.

Soldato
I do get some peak time latency issues which are most noticeable when trying to play online games such as Warzone, on the 8th it was horrible for the 1st hour from 7pm ish before it settled down and was mostly fine. My download speeds are generally okay and hit the cap (550mbit) since they fixed local congestion issues a few years back.

ThinkBB from the 8th though it's not normally quite that bad :p
hFpfQ9I.jpg

Associate
I’m definitely noticing issues compared to my old fttc connection and I’m on 1Gig.
In games seeing teleporting etc and Destiny 2 is straight up unusable as I’m being kicked out from game all the time.
Recently my upload is getting limited for some services (the ones that upload the most) to 4mbps until I restart the damn Hub for it to come back rather quickly if I hammer upload again.
3-4 family members remotely watching films from my Emby server at the same time is enough to kill it.
Complete rubbish for some services.
I am a very heavy user and using 3-5TB a month and I feel like being penalised for it despite they claiming no traffic management etc.
I could hammer my fttc connection 24/7 and it would always run at peak performance.
People should stop accepting this crap from VM saying it is good because they will never improve reading feedback like that.
It is overpriced **** that never delivers what it promises.

Back
Top Bottom