Virgin Media Discussion Thread

No, crusader crashed. This is still beta code, I'm afraid. Tho very attractively written in rust, I am thus far too incompetent to debug it. Restarted now. I'll put a wrapper around it to restart it automatically in the morning.

Error from client :eledid:3:: Expected object
Serving elided:50122, version 3
thread 'tokio-runtime-worker' panicked at 'called `Result::unwrap()` on an `Err` value: "Expected object"', crusader-lib/src/serve.rs:377:74
note: run with `RUST_BACKTRACE=1` environment variable to display a backtrace

I have TPlink Deco M5's running with my VM 1Gb and thinking of upgrading, does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking of staying with TPlink but their newer mesh systems require subscription based service for advanced network protection.

My hub 5 randomly just switches off, no green or white light but switch is on and the green light is still showing on the power adaptor.

Happen 4-5 times now in the last 2 weeks, I can press the on/off button on back of the hub5 and it kicks back on and connects just fine.

Does it sound like my hub5 has gone faulty after a month?

Appears am not alone with a faulty Hub5, see here and here, If anyone else suddenly gets no light showing on the front of their hub5 router and you have to nudge the power wire on back or wiggle it or hold it on the side just to get power back into the hub5, chances are its it needs a complete replacement hub5 and new power adaptor. Getting VM engineer this week to sort it out, will ask them if they get many of these faults.

Hub 3 with puma ghost lasted 5 years, Hub5 lasted 8 weeks :o

Appears am not alone with a faulty Hub5, see here and here, If anyone else suddenly gets no light showing on the front of their hub5 router and you have to nudge the power wire on back or wiggle it or hold it on the side just to get power back into the hub5, chances are its it needs a complete replacement hub5 and new power adaptor. Getting VM engineer this week to sort it out, will ask them if they get many of these faults.

Hub 3 with puma ghost lasted 5 years, Hub5 lasted 8 weeks :o
Nature of the beast, unfortunately. While it's a shame it happened to you, most electronics are very reliable these days. They tend to either fail very quickly, or last for decades, with little in between. See: hard drives. :o

Reactions: R3X
I have TPlink Deco M5's running with my VM 1Gb and thinking of upgrading, does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking of staying with TPlink but their newer mesh systems require subscription based service for advanced network protection.
I use the TP link Omada based EAP stuff (https://www.tp-link.com/uk/omada-sdn/) I think its great, never skips a beat, easy for a competent novice to setup with full blown options for everything you could want to tweak and adjust at a much better price point than the equally perfoming unifi stuff. I have the R605 router, OC200 cloud controller and a bunch of EAP access points, whole house coverage, excellent speeds, never have to touch it (I did run cat5e to each AP rather than use the MESH feature)

I use the TP link Omada based EAP stuff (https://www.tp-link.com/uk/omada-sdn/) I think its great, never skips a beat, easy for a competent novice to setup with full blown options for everything you could want to tweak and adjust at a much better price point than the equally perfoming unifi stuff. I have the R605 router, OC200 cloud controller and a bunch of EAP access points, whole house coverage, excellent speeds, never have to touch it (I did run cat5e to each AP rather than use the MESH feature)

I'm about to move over my APs to TP LINK Omada! 2xAP with cat6 runs to them. Is the cloud stuff free or do you just install the controller locally?

Last edited:
Yes, free (once you have purchased the cloud controller, although its dead cheap and enables features like roaming between APs) I dont pay anything in terms of a subscription (I was actually shocked to read that above re the MESH systems) you can access via cloud or local network, I do have a VPN setup so I can access "locally" from anywhere also, but mostly just go via the cloud route in.

Yes, free (once you have purchased the cloud controller, although its dead cheap and enables features like roaming between APs) I dont pay anything in terms of a subscription (I was actually shocked to read that above re the MESH systems) you can access via cloud or local network, I do have a VPN setup so I can access "locally" from anywhere also, but mostly just go via the cloud route in.

it's only going to be 2x APs so I kinda don't feel the need for a controller really, I'll use the ap to configure and forget. I have a VPN using open vpn on a ubuntu web server so if I ever need to be in remotely I'll do it that way.

Last edited:
Like I say the controller does add the addtional feature of roaming, I have 4 AP's including the one outside, having the roaming feature setup does make for a more seemless experience when walking around, for £65 I thought it was well worth it. I started off with the same, a couple of APs and no controller, but it is a little frustrating when your phone doggedly stays connected to the AP upstairs at reduced speeds when you are stood under the one down stairs. You can always alternatively leave the cloud controller app running on the server, it would have the effect.

Last edited:
That's not a command. What are you actually doing? I don't have OWRT in front of me to check, but iirc the config is housed directly in /etc/config/sqm (not sqm.conf), and you can edit it with ee or nano. You'll need to enable/restart the service once your config is in place. Maybe easier to enable it via the GUI and then add in the changes before restarting the service.

Managed to get it sorted thanks

52575630513_5f3af2b6bf_k.jpg

bufferbloat best it been

Zia

I'll stick with my H3 then on my M250. Was going to try to change but I'll hold off for all the issues to get ironed out first. There's quite a few people with the H5 with problems.

I mean if you can get it free or haggle your way to getting one many around here no issues, I maybe the 1st around here? to have a failed hub5 and certainly I spotted 2 on VM forums so like Rain said earlier its just the nature of the puma.

VM Engineer popped round, have to give them some props rang yesterday for hub5 fault and he popped up next day.

Replaced the hub5, I asked them if they replace the power cable since sometimes that could also be an issue but he said its never the power adaptor and always the router and asked me if the green light stays on, which it does so he believes its only the hub5.

I did ask how many faulty hub5s he has seen and he did say quite a few with these hub5s with similar issues as mine, he said its due to them being a newer design.

Lets see how this new hub5 goes.

Hi All,

VM superpods/wifi pods?

I'm on the Gig1 service looking at getting wifi coverage further down my garden, I already have a cat6 cable run down to an outbuilding and I'm of the thinking using one of them through the ethernet port would give wifi there too.
Opinions on them? Pro's or con's please. Thanks

Here is mine on Hub 5 1gig with my PC connected to the 2.5g port. https://www.waveform.com/tools/bufferbloat?test-id=c28e0610-b9b9-41c7-a701-c7a2ee6a588e
Guess there is no way of improving anything with the Hub 5 not supporting SQM?
That's not a bad result at all, all things considered. Maybe try again at 8pm (ish) to see whether it gets worse during 'peak' times (though on Gig1 that's not really a thing, I find). You can still use SQM, you'll just have to put the Hub into modem mode and provide your own router. With a result like yours, though, I wouldn't rush unless/until you find the need.

Edit: I just disabled SQM on the router (Fedora still runs BBR by default, however). Here's mine sans cake. You can see my upstream has worse bloat than yours, but our area (congested city) is still on 64QAM upstream, whereas everyone else has long since moved on to better things. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom