Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Only problem i had with the X540-T2 is significantly increase boot time. Got some Asus 10gbit cards to replace were about the same price on the bay(and also support 2.5/5 etc). And switch wise I found on the bay dell switches with 10gbit addon cards were by far the cheapest if not the biggest pita (and again only support 10gb or 1gb nothing inbetween)

Model name and cost? :)

Asus is XG-C100C.. (Around £55)

Intel pretty sure labelled HP but was a reference board. (Again around £55)

Oh or Dell Switch a powerconnect 6224, real pita inital config needs be done over RS232 (was £60 with 10gbit card)

Last edited:
Only problem i had with the X540-T2 is significantly increase boot time. Got some Asus 10gbit cards to replace were about the same price on the bay(and also support 2.5/5 etc). And switch wise I found on the bay dell switches with 10gbit addon cards were by far the cheapest if not the biggest pita (and again only support 10gb or 1gb nothing inbetween)

I did have one X540-T2 which, about one time out of three, wouldn't initialise properly. The machine would take forever to boot and, when it finally, did there'd be no connectivity. When this happened I had to power cycle it.

Have two other cards which work absolutely fine though with no boot delays so I assume the above one was just faulty.

Same here, my contract runs out end of March if nothing happens by then I'm finally jumping ship after all these years.

With City fibre installing round this area and openreach offering 220mb upload there isn't much point staying with VM anymore. The daughter lives about half a mile away and she can get symmetrical 900/900 with vodaphone for £35. I can see VM disappointing us all only offering 75mb upload Max.

Agreed, could really do with a bit more upload mainly for work, that said I'd also like to get my hands on Hub5 for my Gigabit connection but not much luck there!
When I spoke to VM last week they currently had no stock of the SH5, My SH5 is faulty and they sent out a SH4, called and thats when they said they had no stock of the SH5

No eta of when they are getting stock back in atm

I have been looking at changing to VM but the problem I have is the location the box would be fitted can they move this if requested?

I have been looking at changing to VM but the problem I have is the location the box would be fitted can they move this if requested?
Has the place had VM before? If not then they should be able to put it where you request.

VM does not use any phone line type sockets etc but there own cabling that comes in to the building.

Same here, my contract runs out end of March if nothing happens by then I'm finally jumping ship after all these years.

With City fibre installing round this area and openreach offering 220mb upload there isn't much point staying with VM anymore. The daughter lives about half a mile away and she can get symmetrical 900/900 with vodaphone for £35. I can see VM disappointing us all only offering 75mb upload Max.
Openreach 220 Mbps upload profile is hideously expensive, so much so I don't know of any ISP offering to residential customers.

CF is in another league to VM, price wise, and performance. Plus you're free to move around ISPs unlike being shackled to the same one.

I can't find the actual pricing structure for this service yet either I keep seeing this advertised

I put my address in the checker and it says I can get it, but then it sends you to another page where it ask you to register for it.

IMG-20230118-161842.jpg

Last edited:
Has the place had VM before? If not then they should be able to put it where you request.

VM does not use any phone line type sockets etc but there own cabling that comes in to the building.
It was in the house when we moved in but since then we have removed it to outside when redecorating.
I would need it moved to the other side of the house and I am mid terrace not sure if they will have a problem with that.

As I said, Openreach offer it but the wholesale cost to ISPs is so ridiculously expensive, it actually works out cheaper to get a second 900/100 connection put in. Hence you will struggle to find an ISP willing to offer it.

Virgin seem to have a system where an "account" lives and dies with the physical address that it exists at, but also each account has to use a unique email address or manual intervention is required. I don't know anybody who creates a new email address whenever they move house but maybe it's the norm at VM.

Virgin seem to have a system where an "account" lives and dies with the physical address that it exists at, but also each account has to use a unique email address or manual intervention is required. I don't know anybody who creates a new email address whenever they move house but maybe it's the norm at VM.

I guess that's how I think all accounts should be like IMO. Non of this been allowed to keep data on people once they a not a user.

Got 1GB broadband activated yesterday.

Great but....I use PIA vpn all the time, I'm getting terrible speed, sometimes 70mbps! As soon I exit the PIA software, re-run the speed test. 970mb/52mb lovely!

I tried different locations in PIA. Same. I'm connected via ethernet cable to the VM hub.

I tried many tricks suggested by Google. No change.

It's obvious that VM is throttling VPN. Does anyone else experience the same?

Note - I was coming from plusnet 30mb fibre, so I never see more than 30mb on speed test regardless on VPN or not.

Thanks

Got 1GB broadband activated yesterday.

Great but....I use PIA vpn all the time, I'm getting terrible speed, sometimes 70mbps! As soon I exit the PIA software, re-run the speed test. 970mb/52mb lovely!

I tried different locations in PIA. Same. I'm connected via ethernet cable to the VM hub.

I tried many tricks suggested by Google. No change.

It's obvious that VM is throttling VPN. Does anyone else experience the same?

Note - I was coming from plusnet 30mb fibre, so I never see more than 30mb on speed test regardless on VPN or not.

Thanks
Tried a different vpn to compare? I’ve found Cyber ghost to be pretty fast in the past.

Back
Top Bottom