Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
It's obvious that VM is throttling VPN. Does anyone else experience the same?
Not this again... VM aren't throttling VPNs. Are you connecting over WireGuard, or OpenVPN? Try WireGuard if you're using OpenVPN, and try a different provider. PIA went to **** years ago. Mullvad, with cake sqm active on the router (so this is the max I'll get, with or without VPN):

Code:
[SUM]   0.00-10.06  sec   932 MBytes   778 Mbits/sec  5041         sender
[SUM]   0.00-10.00  sec   927 MBytes   777 Mbits/sec                  receiver
snd_tcp_congestion bbr
rcv_tcp_congestion bbr

iperf Done.

Last edited:
Reactions: R3X
Associate
Got 1GB broadband activated yesterday.

Great but....I use PIA vpn all the time, I'm getting terrible speed, sometimes 70mbps! As soon I exit the PIA software, re-run the speed test. 970mb/52mb lovely!

I tried different locations in PIA. Same. I'm connected via ethernet cable to the VM hub.

I tried many tricks suggested by Google. No change.

It's obvious that VM is throttling VPN. Does anyone else experience the same?

Note - I was coming from plusnet 30mb fibre, so I never see more than 30mb on speed test regardless on VPN or not.

Thanks

I'm on 500Mb and also use PIA.

Just done some speed tests:

UK - 260Mb
US - 160Mb

Reactions: R3X

fez

fez

Caporegime
As soon as I can bin off VM I will do it with glee. I'm sick of doing the "I'm going to leave" dance every renewal period.

The only reason they get away with it is because most people don't have a better option. Treating your existing customers like crap and giving new customers massively preferential treatment should have died off years ago.

Associate
As soon as I can bin off VM I will do it with glee. I'm sick of doing the "I'm going to leave" dance every renewal period.

The only reason they get away with it is because most people don't have a better option. Treating your existing customers like crap and giving new customers massively preferential treatment should have died off years ago.

I thought I read sometime recently (within the last year I think) that the regulators where going to put an end to that?

Caporegime
No, Ofcom are fairly useless as a regulator. They just said that ISPs need to say when you are out of contract, and what their best deal to you is. They don't have to match new customer deals.

fez

fez

Caporegime
It would obviously put thousands of managers out of work who spend their days deciding if Dave from Essex should be allowed their extra special super exclusive discount.

Caporegime
Retentions called back the day after cancelling, but I've missed the call. Can I ring that number back, or will they just ring every day?

Edit: They called back an hour later and I managed to haggle the down to £28 a month for Gig1 :cool:

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Retentions called back the day after cancelling, but I've missed the call. Can I ring that number back, or will they just ring every day?

Edit: They called back an hour later and I managed to haggle the down to £28 a month for Gig1 :cool:

Nice. Do you have an O2 mobile? Or should I say is that a volt package that is essentially a 500 Meg line doubled due to volt?

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Crazy, you actually want useable phone signal??

Haha. Yea, EE is the best. I was with them for like a dacade or something. I still am, but that is for my other half. Went with O2 myself both for Volt and being able to use it in the EU without paying £2 a day roaming. Not had any issues in my area. But I guess if you live somewhere in the sticks or where they have bad coverage then it might be different.

Back
Top Bottom