Virgin Media Discussion Thread

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Is it worth changing the SH2 to a proper router and putting the SH2 to modem mode?

Internet speed supposed to be 150mb, getting good results in speedtest.

But performance and reliability is not good. Disconnects at least once an hour randomly. Could be streaming Amazon video on ps4 and it will mess up the whole experience.

Then randomly sometimes speed is slow.

Is it the internet service or the router. Have a budget of £100 max.

Worth slashing out?

Soldato
Is it worth changing the SH2 to a proper router and putting the SH2 to modem mode?

Internet speed supposed to be 150mb, getting good results in speedtest.

But performance and reliability is not good. Disconnects at least once an hour randomly. Could be streaming Amazon video on ps4 and it will mess up the whole experience.

Then randomly sometimes speed is slow.

Is it the internet service or the router. Have a budget of £100 max.

Worth slashing out?

A standalone router and firewall will always work out better overall, but whether you'd notice the difference depends on your setup and usage. The slow downs in peak time are just the network being over-subscribed, but if it's happening all the time it could be a fault.

More to the point, the regular disconnects are definitely a fault. Our service is vastly over-subscribed and congested, but we don't get disconnects. Look in the hub's webUI and check your power levels downstream and up.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
A standalone router and firewall will always work out better overall, but whether you'd notice the difference depends on your setup and usage. The slow downs in peak time are just the network being over-subscribed, but if it's happening all the time it could be a fault.

More to the point, the regular disconnects are definitely a fault. Our service is vastly over-subscribed and congested, but we don't get disconnects. Look in the hub's webUI and check your power levels downstream and up.

What am I supposed to be looking at in downstream and upstream channels?

Soldato
What am I supposed to be looking at in downstream and upstream channels?

Go to 192.168.100.1 and then under the login box click 'Check router status'. Either take a screenshot or give us an idea of the Power and SNR values for the downstream and upstream tabs. Also worth having a nose at the logs to see if you are getting a lot of T4 timeouts or similar. Either way post up on Virgin's community forum and a member of staff will get back to you. It usually takes a few days but they're way better than the offshore phone support when they do. Either way it sounds like you'll need an engineer visit. Also check the obvious stuff like have the coax cables worn loose at the back of the hub and any other joints/splitters in your house?

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Go to 192.168.100.1 and then under the login box click 'Check router status'. Either take a screenshot or give us an idea of the Power and SNR values for the downstream and upstream tabs. Also worth having a nose at the logs to see if you are getting a lot of T4 timeouts or similar. Either way post up on Virgin's community forum and a member of staff will get back to you. It usually takes a few days but they're way better than the offshore phone support when they do. Either way it sounds like you'll need an engineer visit. Also check the obvious stuff like have the coax cables worn loose at the back of the hub and any other joints/splitters in your house?

Last edited:

B&W

B&W

Soldato
They look ok actually. What exactly is disconnecting? Have you confirmed the WAN (internet) is down by the lights on the SuperHub? Or is it individual devices losing connectivity?

Devices loosing connectivity, could be the PS4, smarthphone, TV. Sometimes it's one or the other sometimes they all disconnect at once and within a minute reconnect.

Sometimes it's longer to reconnect for the PS4 when im watching prime video on it.

Soldato
Yup wifi drop outs are a problem on the hubs, especially the older ones. As with neodude, I have my hub 3 in modem mode, passing off to pfSense and a Ubiquiti UAP AC PRO. Flawless ever since.

Associate
Anyone have issues in area 21? I should be on 100mb but struggling with max of 5mb since 31 Dec. Estimated time for fix is 10th Jan! Apparently the fault is do do with 'SNR'.

APM

APM

Associate
I've been getting drop outs for over a year now but not so much for the last few months apart from the past few days when they're back with a vengeance.

Just happy to share my good news with you folks.

Associate
Anyone have issues in area 21? I should be on 100mb but struggling with max of 5mb since 31 Dec. Estimated time for fix is 10th Jan! Apparently the fault is do do with 'SNR'.

Ive been having exactly the same trouble in area 21 since the summer, Jan 10th will come and go and nothing will be done, be on the phone again tomorrow, no way am i paying full price for this.

Don't know how they get away with such a poor service. :mad:

Associate
It's been pretty solid since we had it installed in Sept. Reading the forums, some stating Virgin have 'oversubscribed' and the network cannot cope with the demand.

Back
Top Bottom