Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I just phoned up Virgin to inquire about a broadband-only upgrade as I was originally on the XXL package, the largest 4 years ago and at some point I was migrated over to the M200. Without asking, and after hinting at being with them for a lot of years, the guy said that I can move up to the top package for £1 extra a month.

Apparently I have to use the SH3 to get the new speed and he assures me that the hardware faults were down to a 'bad batch' and have all been sort now. A gentleman can only try, I suppose.
So can I ask what your paying for the 350 and how long is the discount applied for ?
Thanks

Associate
So can I ask what your paying for the 350 and how long is the discount applied for ?
Thanks
£52 per month and no time limit, so I'm not sure if it's any real discount, but it's lower than the non-discount for the 350. They did sneak a £25 admin fee on top without telling me though.

Soldato
£99 for 500 meg BB, top phone package, top TV(sky sports, cinema, kids etc), unlimited data phone sim. Doesnt seem too bad.

I’m getting this for £94/m as I complained when it took them 3 days to get me to the VVIP upgrade team that they deny even exists!

The VM phone package (unlimited everything sounds great), on paper it is, in reality it’s fairly shocking. Poor coverage, slow 4G and just generally lacking compared to 3!

Soldato
You aren't going to make it any faster.

Depending on what you buy you could have more configuration options. What features do you need that the Virgin hub doesn't support? If you don't know then you don't need a new router.

Permabanned
I’m getting this for £94/m as I complained when it took them 3 days to get me to the VVIP upgrade team that they deny even exists!

The VM phone package (unlimited everything sounds great), on paper it is, in reality it’s fairly shocking. Poor coverage, slow 4G and just generally lacking compared to 3!

Yes the online chat person told me I should talk to customer relations to try and get a better deal.

I dont need the SIM card but I thought I could use it on holiday for the data. :p

Associate
Is there a favourite for pairing with the SH3 in modem mode?
I'm mostly interested in getting the best speed possible over ethernet given I sometimes host dedicated servers for me and my mates.

There's no favourite pairing. Just check out reviews and buy a router with the specs you need!
You might want something with more Ethernet ports. Or something which can run a custom firmware such as OpenWRT or dd-wrt (can be quite fiddly, but good if you want total control).
If you want future proofing the new "AX" standard routers have been released (the previous being "AC"), but they are still quite expensive.

Associate
You aren't going to make it any faster.

Depending on what you buy you could have more configuration options. What features do you need that the Virgin hub doesn't support? If you don't know then you don't need a new router.
It's more to ensure that by virtue of simply having an SH3 that my speed won't be gimped. As long as port forwarding and wireless range are roughly equal to the SH2, I probably won't need a new router.

It seems that UK internet speeds of 350-500 Mbit speeds make buying a new motherboard with a 5 or 10 Gbit ethernet connection pretty pointless, if not running a LAN. Except to future proof maybe(?).

Last edited:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I have a white virgin cable upstairs that connects to the router, I also have 1 downstairs that connects to the TV box.

Is it possible for to me take the TV box out, and put a 2nd router downstairs using the existing white cable? Asking because my signal downstairs is a little weak, so wondering if I can put a 2nd router downstairs and connect it to the TV via ethernet cable. I'm planning on cancelling the the TV subscription so won't be needing the TV anywhere

Man of Honour
You can't have two VM Hubs but you could run an ethernet cable from the hub upstairs to downstairs and have a wireless access point down there for example.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

You can't have two VM Hubs but you could run an ethernet cable from the hub upstairs to downstairs and have a wireless access point down there for example.

The issue is i have no real neat way of running a cable from upstairs to downstairs. Hence why i wanted to have a box downstairs so that i can use it as a modem to connect devices through ethernet as it'll be right next to the tv

Man of Honour
Exactly what I do and it works fine
You have two VM hubs connected to each other via coaxial? :confused:

The issue is i have no real neat way of running a cable from upstairs to downstairs. Hence why i wanted to have a box downstairs so that i can use it as a modem to connect devices through ethernet as it'll be right next to the tv
It sounds like power line adapters might be of help here then. They use your internal wiring instead of using ethernet cable so you could either have the one downstairs as an wireless access point and/or as an ethernet switch for wired devices down there.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

It sounds like power line adapters might be of help here then. They use your internal wiring instead of using ethernet cable so you could either have the one downstairs as an wireless access point and/or as an ethernet switch for wired devices down there.

Yeah it seems like thats what Im going to have to do, will have to see how well it works though

Back
Top Bottom