Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Peak Time Latency Strikes Part of Virgin Media's UK Network UPDATE2 - ISPreview UK

UPDATE 6th May 2022 @ 10:04am

After chasing, the operator has provided an updated statement.

A Virgin Media spokesperson said:
“We’ve now determined the root cause of the issue and can confirm that it’s an issue exclusively impacting traffic passing through an interconnect from our network to the ThinkBroadband server site.
General traffic on our network is not impacted and as a result, the TB BQM is not reporting accurate latency data for Virgin Media customers right now. Whilst we’re looking to address this, we recommend that customers use the SamKnows RealSpeed application or Ookla’s Speedtest.net’s ping test if they wish to check their latency or network performance.”

In response, Andrew Ferguson OBE of Thinkbroadband, said: “It is good that Virgin Media has identified the root cause but we are not happy with the spokesperson appearing to suggest that the BQM is not accurate, it most definitely is accurate and was reflecting the state of all the links between the BQM systems and the customers router. Similar with the speed test we have always run that in a state that will highlight speed issues for individuals rather than trying to counter congestion by opting for a closer server or adding more download/upload links to compensate.”

Associate
anyone know if VM are planning to increase upload speeds? we can only get VM where we live so at the mercy of them!

DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 support greater upload speeds than VM have offered to date (100Mbps and 1 to 2 Gbps I believe), but I've read VM have limitations that need to be fixed before the higher upload can be utilised.

Currently even 1.1Gbps download customers only have 1 DOCSIS 3.1 channel down and none for up, and of course many customers favour download over upload so its best for marketing. It's a shame more people don't realise that upload can impact download when the ratio is too high as well as the obvious upload heavy tasks. I see this on the 1.1Gbps VM service when using a mix of services considered as mostly download tasks due to lots of smaller requests.

I didn't believe they could go much faster on download without increasing upload although sadly they are trialling 2.2Gbps/51Mbps in some areas!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Anyone know when the hub 5 rolls out? Not long signed up for gig1 and thought it was strange how I could never get over 1gig turns out the hub 4 can’t get over 1gig.
You can if you put it in router mode and buy a better router I think. But yeah, anyone with a 1gig line should get a HUB 5 imo.

Soldato
Anyone know when the hub 5 rolls out? Not long signed up for gig1 and thought it was strange how I could never get over 1gig turns out the hub 4 can’t get over 1gig.

Hub 5's are available in weird test/but-not-test stage. They won't give them to you for 1 gig because (as of a few months back) the VM app doesn't work with them, and neither do the boosters/pods that (as a 1 gig user) you're entitled to get for free. They would rather keep you on Hub 4 where they can supply you with the boosters if you want them and where the firmware is a bit more developed and stable.

The only way some people have done it is to be on a lower tier than 1 gig, get the SH5 offer email, accept the offer email, and then upgrade after your SH5 has been installed. That assumes things haven't changed in the last few months and they still have a 1 gig profile for the SH5 and VM will sent it to you on a speed upgrade.

Associate
hi, i've got a question

im moving house soon and i currently have g.fast (900m away from the cabinet somehow), but the new house only has fttc, so we are planning to move to virgin.

i have heard a lot about them (bad latency due to intel puma chipset, general internet issues)
have they fixed many of these issues yet?

Permabanned
hi, i've got a question

im moving house soon and i currently have g.fast (900m away from the cabinet somehow), but the new house only has fttc, so we are planning to move to virgin.

i have heard a lot about them (bad latency due to intel puma chipset, general internet issues)

Totally fine if you are in a decent area. Otherwise can be awful.

Associate
btw, what is the latency like? i guess ill plan on getting a dedicated router for vm, im currently getting 2ms on speedtest.net though

Man of Honour
hi, i've got a question

A decent FTTC line will be a better experience than Virgin Media except for large downloads.

Soldato
Hub 5's are available in weird test/but-not-test stage. They won't give them to you for 1 gig because (as of a few months back) the VM app doesn't work with them, and neither do the boosters/pods that (as a 1 gig user) you're entitled to get for free. They would rather keep you on Hub 4 where they can supply you with the boosters if you want them and where the firmware is a bit more developed and stable.

The only way some people have done it is to be on a lower tier than 1 gig, get the SH5 offer email, accept the offer email, and then upgrade after your SH5 has been installed. That assumes things haven't changed in the last few months and they still have a 1 gig profile for the SH5 and VM will sent it to you on a speed upgrade.

Basically this, I've had an SH5 since November. Been with VM for years and was on 350mbps. Was offered a SH5 via email so I accepted

Back
Top Bottom