Virgin Media Discussion Thread

My hub 5 randomly just switches off, no green or white light but switch is on and the green light is still showing on the power adaptor.

Happen 4-5 times now in the last 2 weeks, I can press the on/off button on back of the hub5 and it kicks back on and connects just fine.

Does it sound like my hub5 has gone faulty after a month?

My hub 5 randomly just switches off, no green or white light but switch is on and the green light is still showing on the power adaptor.

Happen 4-5 times now in the last 2 weeks, I can press the on/off button on back of the hub5 and it kicks back on and connects just fine.

Does it sound like my hub5 has gone faulty after a month?
That isn't correct, get it changed

Reactions: R3X
Good choice, we love our 250/25 as well. Just waiting for City Fibre to get their act together!
Don't think I'll be getting another fttp provider in area for a while. I only got a Hub 3 though, do you use the connect app? Mine doesn't work. Won't connect to the hub. I wanted to try get some home pods cos on my package said I could get up to 3.

Don't think I'll be getting another fttp provider in area for a while. I only got a Hub 3 though, do you use the connect app? Mine doesn't work. Won't connect to the hub. I wanted to try get some home pods cos on my package said I could get up to 3.
Hub3 dang.... Connect app ? nope 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode or 192.168.0.1 normal mode. if thats what you mean to login to the router for stats etc.
Hate using apps, they wanted me to install the app to get A hub5 when i first jumped onboard.

Edit: I've no idea on the pods, last I checked they was handing them out with top BB package 1GB etc

Last edited:
Hub3 dang.... Connect app ? nope 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode or 192.168.0.1 normal mode. if thats what you mean to login to the router for stats etc.
Hate using apps, they wanted me to install the app to get A hub5 when i first jumped onboard.

Edit: I've no idea on the pods, last I checked they was handing them out with top BB package 1GB etc

I know how to connect to the router to do stuff I was curious about the connect app. I think I'll just skip and get a second hand poe ap soon. I have cable running to central location so ill stick a better ap at the end of it, the one I use atm is currently limited to 150 so can't reach the 250 through anything that connects to that ap atm.

I know how to connect to the router to do stuff I was curious about the connect app. I think I'll just skip and get a second hand poe ap soon. I have cable running to central location so ill stick a better ap at the end of it, the one I use atm is currently limited to 150 so can't reach the 250 through anything that connects to that ap atm.
ahh ok

@GaryTheSnail I have the Hap ax2 wifi6 but I only use the 2g which gives me around 230mbps, umm for closer stuff i'm just using a cheap Archer C7 with openwrt which is solid as a rock which gives around 280/300 mbps. cheap as chips and does the job as for (POE)Hap ax2 is available but next year though.
works for me!

Last edited:
I've seen a POE omada EAP115 for £15 near me, that's more than enough. Devices are in one room that would be connecting to this device.

@GaryTheSnail If I recall on my hub3 "Modem Mode" I had trouble reaching the web interface. either the web interface fell over or I had a another issue. either way I didn't need to get to it. In general the Hub3 is garbage get a HUB5

I haven't got it in modem mode. VM have installed some new fibre box, which goes to the VM hub. Both need power sockets. I can't just keep adding device after device. It's a shame there isn't a device that fully would replace the hubs completely.

Let me get a pic of this new install where it comes in. One sec.

Last edited:
You can just see the Hub-3 in the left corner of the image. The device in the middle needs power, the Hub-3 needs power. I haven't got a clue what the middle box is, it's a shame this couldn't have been the modem.

At a guess it's a converter from new fibre to VM fibre (I think).
The VM engineer said these were the brand new installs going in the new areas where VM was installing in the UK.
This wall is an outside wall with a door to the right about 2mtrs away.

From the Hub-3 I have a single CAT6 cable (proper wall install) going to the centre of the house.
The centre of the house has a ikea lack rack with a patch panel, micro server and a 8x port POE switch (Which has 2x cable runs going to 2 rooms)
These devices that are hard wired are desktop pcs (x2 with a spare port beside it for failover)

There is 1x 150N Access Point sitting in the cab (this is what will be replaced soon for better piece of kit).

I've had to reconfigure a the internal network because by default you can't change the internal IP on these hubs nor DNS which can only be done by a 3rd party piece of kit.
I have a phone also going to the hub, just waiting for the number port to VM.

fZyixbI.jpg

Last edited:
Leave the webUI QoS alone, just replace the sqm config with this and restart the service and then test again. Tweak the upload and download as necessary. You may get better results with 47000 and 940000 or even into the 800s (820000 and 47000 maybe). Just experiment, but the above gave A+ for me.

When i run command etc/config/sqm nothing shows up? can i paste it into sqm.conf using Winscp?

Zia

Last edited:
You can just see the Hub-3 in the left corner of the image. The device in the middle needs power, the Hub-3 needs power. I haven't got a clue what the middle box is, it's a shame this couldn't have been the modem.

At a guess it's a converter from new fibre to VM fibre (I think).
The VM engineer said these were the brand new installs going in the new areas where VM was installing in the UK.
This wall is an outside wall with a door to the right about 2mtrs away.

From the Hub-3 I have a single CAT6 cable (proper wall install) going to the centre of the house.
The centre of the house has a ikea lack rack with a patch panel, micro server and a 8x port POE switch (Which has 2x cable runs going to 2 rooms)
These devices that are hard wired are desktop pcs (x2 with a spare port beside it for failover)

There is 1x 150N Access Point sitting in the cab (this is what will be replaced soon for better piece of kit).

I've had to reconfigure a the internal network because by default you can't change the internal IP on these hubs nor DNS which can only be done by a 3rd party piece of kit.
I have a phone also going to the hub, just waiting for the number port to VM.

fZyixbI.jpg
I've not installed stuff for Virgin Media since 2001 so forgive me, i've just uncovered a rock!

For the other point about apps etc, I don't use anything other than my own kit, the modem has always been in modem mode from day 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: R3X
When i run command etc/config/sqm nothing shows up? can i paste it into sqm.conf using Winscp?

Zia

That's not a command. What are you actually doing? I don't have OWRT in front of me to check, but iirc the config is housed directly in /etc/config/sqm (not sqm.conf), and you can edit it with ee or nano. You'll need to enable/restart the service once your config is in place. Maybe easier to enable it via the GUI and then add in the changes before restarting the service.
---

@Dave Taht Perchance did you stop the crusader server at london.starlink.taht.net? I tried to test your suggestion (tweak down the sqm upstream rate) but I keep getting an error that the connection was refused/server not available. No worries if you have of course, I can stop troubleshooting and spin one up if I know it's not something wrong on my end. :)

Back
Top Bottom