Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
That's really helpful for the new occupants.

You know I can understand this but like said, this is such **** move for future occupants. I noticed TV/internet cables were cut at my brothers new house, I was like wtf is the point of doing that!

Contract termination had all be sorted for completion / day of move with it agreed that somebody would call on the last day to switch of billing on the line (the new house did not have Virgin)

His wife went with the removal men leaving him to put the kettle etc in his car & do the "final phone call to Virgin". The person refused to deal with him as "he was not the account holder", it went up the chain of command but he still got a blank refusal even after explaining his wife (account holder) was in transit to new house.

So he told them he'd cut the cable, they said he couldn't, he said "stop me"...

At no time in the termination discussion had it been mentioned that his wife would have to make the call :)

Caporegime
That wouldn't work though, the devices (set-top box, cable modem) are the boxes authenticated to your account, it's not the presence of the cable that does it. You could move your modem to the house next door and it would still be your service. You could even plug a splitter into their cable and run their service alongside your own.

Reactions: KIA
Soldato
Thanks!! Thats showing up as 951mbps. Wondering whether the ethernet on my pc is setup wrong or port not fast enough.
If you’re willing to get 2.5gbe kit (switch and port on pc) VM actually over provision the 1Gb service and you will get 1.3Gb speeds. 30% extra for free.

It’s one thing il miss when I finally leave them for fttp

Reactions: R3X
Associate
If you’re willing to get 2.5gbe kit (switch and port on pc) VM actually over provision the 1Gb service and you will get 1.3Gb speeds. 30% extra for free.

It’s one thing il miss when I finally leave them for fttp

What is your download configuration value? Mine and others I've seen is configured for a fraction over 1,173Mbps (1230000450 in config) which fits with a margin over the advertised average of 1,130Mbps.

Soldato
What is your download configuration value? Mine and others I've seen is configured for a fraction over 1,173Mbps (1230000450 in config) which fits with a margin over the advertised average of 1,130Mbps.
Which value do you need from the router status page? Il check mine

Yeh as stated, this is with SH5 as it has 1x 2.5Gb port.

Associate
Had to go through the cancel dance with VM to keep my ultimate volt at a reasonable price. They started out @ £95 a month and managed to get it down to £75 a month.
Problem was I had little to no bargaining power as there are no other FTTP competition in my area.
They're upgrading the V6 boxes to the 360's but wouldn't budge on upgrading the hub 4 to 5.

Soldato
So I upgraded to virgin 1gig and installed the Hub 5. I said earlier in thread it was giving me issues so I was shopping for a new router.

After speaking with them on the phone (to their credit they are actually quite patient with technical issues) they pushed through some update and remote accessed router. Since then all my issues disappeared.

It seems there is some kind of problem where it doesn't correctly activate. My friend had similar this week too as he also upgraded at same time.

They are also sending me a range booster thing to help cover extent of house.

Connection is rock solid now and speed is spot on. Actually quite impressed.

Associate
After 1 hour and 40 minutes I've managed to get ultimate volt 1gb, with max it TV, sky sports and movies, bt sports, landline (who the **** uses that anymore) and Netflix for £78 a month. Oh and a 2nd box.
I was in last 30 days of contract and just kept saying no to the offers and that I wanted to leave. Which in fairness, I would have done.
I feel I got screwed over 18 months ago when I renewed with an unlimited o2 sim which went through at £25 a month but soon became £33 with the April rises. My daughter had it and used about 2gb a month.
Now we're doing away with the o2 sim but the virgin lady said as I was currently a volt customer I could get better discounts. I made her triple and quadruple check that once I *****d off the o2 sim that my virgin price would not increase and she double checked herself with managers. So fingers crossed on that one because as we all know anything can still happen with virgin.
As for Netflix I currently get it with my EE mobile and that's in for another 20 months so don't really need it.
Going back 3 years or so we used to pay about £99 for the highest package and that was without the sim so I feel I'm now paying £78 for it without a sim which I will then get for 10 or 12 quid a month.
Not too bad considering we can't get fibre in my area yet. I'm hoping in 18 months things will be a bit different.

Reactions: R3X
Soldato
Had to go through the cancel dance with VM to keep my ultimate volt at a reasonable price. They started out @ £95 a month and managed to get it down to £75 a month.
Problem was I had little to no bargaining power as there are no other FTTP competition in my area.
They're upgrading the V6 boxes to the 360's but wouldn't budge on upgrading the hub 4 to 5.

I’m about to phone and cancel next week and also don’t have much bargaining power, but I’m prepared to lower my speed, have 350mbps at present and will be prepared to switch to BTs fibre 100 which is between 100-146mbps.

Does anyone know the best route to take, should I phone BT first and get a package and price but not sign up, and then phone VM to cancel quoting my better deal?
Trying to figure out how to do it as don’t want to be left with no internet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just installed a hub5 yesterday and I thought it might be better than my old hub3 in modem mode with an old nighthawk router.

Turns out it's crap and drops connection a lot. What's a good WiFi 6 router for this thing?

wireless doesn't work on my hub 5, if you try and enable it it just sets back to disabled. Getting hold of support to request a new hub, what a joke.

Back
Top Bottom