Virgin Media Speed Upgrades: FAQ

the network really cant handle the load at the minute, we have been upgraded here for a little while now (newcastle) and between a couple of friends i dont think any of them have seen a connection hit full 20mb download speed's as of yet.
and they are continuously complaining about caps for downloading at peak times wich they have not reached.
another thing not a lot of people realise is going on but the amount of packet loss is disgracefull, and is really making gaming a struglle in some scenarios, im not sure how bad this is in other areas would be nice to hear.

I`m only 10 miles from Newcastle and ive not had any problems with maxing my connection.

Network is fine here to.

When i was on 20mb i got exactly that. of the 10 or so local VM users i know in person none of us have had a problem in the last 12months.

the network really cant handle the load at the minute, we have been upgraded here for a little while now (newcastle) and between a couple of friends i dont think any of them have seen a connection hit full 20mb download speed's as of yet.
and they are continuously complaining about caps for downloading at peak times wich they have not reached.
another thing not a lot of people realise is going on but the amount of packet loss is disgracefull, and is really making gaming a struglle in some scenarios, im not sure how bad this is in other areas would be nice to hear.

I live in the west end of newcastle and i am on 20meg download.
The fastest download speed a could get was about 12 meg.
I had a virgin engineer here today and he changed my old 4100 modem for a scientific atlanta and he also checked my router settings which were ok.
The download speed has now gone up to about 18meg.
He also said they were doing more work in my area and in about two to three weeks i should be able to get the full 20meg speed.
The guy seemed to be clued up to what was happening with all the speed increases.

Well I just checked my modem logs and guess what

2007-08-24 16:56:00 6-Notice 0x041D0318 SW Download INIT - Via Config file cm-20480-768

I am on 20MB but.... I still get 200kbs download during peak time when I have not hit the download limit. And the highest I saw was 1.7mbs and 4am in the morning so another 700kbs off the speed I should be getting. I love you Virgin media.

found this help with virgin media internet makes internet faster this works with all speeds http://www.virginmedia.com/help/20mb-broadband-optimisation.php remember too not use USB.
This does work as ive gone from 10 to 18 mb by changing this.

Didn't work for me, just gave me a 10 min headache trying to get my network to work again. I do have a router between my PC and the modem so that may be upsetting it as the guide os for pc's connected directly.

20Mb Is a joke, I have never seen above 1.7Mbs. And most the time I can only get 900Kb's off usenet. It's a real joke and I have to wait 1 week for a engineer to come out.

20Mb Is a joke, I have never seen above 1.7Mbs. And most the time I can only get 900Kb's off usenet. It's a real joke and I have to wait 1 week for a engineer to come out.

Using a router? If so try with the cable modem directly into a PC before letting the engineer come out. Otherwise your area is simply screwed and there isn't much you or they can/will do about it :)

I rang up yesterday to upgrade my 2mb to 20mb as they offered me a pretty good deal on that and the phone line to stop us moving to BT. She said it would be upgraded within 2hours (even though i know upgrades are usually instant), so i went and rebooted the modem, router and computers just on the off chance it would have already been sent. It hadn't. Fair enough i thought so i left it for 2 hours, did the same again, no 20mb signal on the modem. Strange i thought, left it for another 2 hours and still nothing. Rang them back got through to a woman who told me it could take up to 24 hours as the system may be slow but she said the 20mb has been applied to my account. So i waited till this morning, did the usual reboots, still nothing. So i rang back, got through to someone who told me that the offer was on my account but hadnt been processed and she couldn't process it so she had to email the woman who did the offer and wait for her reply. At first she told me that she'd never heard of the offer that the woman at VM had offered me and tried to tell me that offer was for 2mb, but upon checking the account she could see that it was for 20mb.
Am i being given the run around here? I know my modem supports 20mb so there shouldn't be a problem surely its just a case of them enabling it on my line. I presume the woman who offered me the new deal was from retentions as we we're in the process of porting over to BT so they were offering us all sorts to stay with them. Is it worth ringing back and trying to get through to that department and speaking to someone there as they obviously have the power to give these deals out etc?

Last edited:
Hmm odd,

Your deffinatly on that exchange?

Reset modem is all i can suggest

ta

alec
I`m in southport with a PR preston post code other than that there is liverpool but that doesnt mention southport.

I have turned modem on and off then reset which sent my Dl speed crashing to 1meg but then came back to 3.8meg

SO not sure what the prob is maybe 3.8 meg is the fastest i can get with 10meg like 5 meg is the best a lot can get with 20 meg;)

You read my first post on how to check what config youve got on your modem? if not read it. about half way down on the first post in this thread bud.

You read my first post on how to check what config youve got on your modem? if not read it. about half way down on the first post in this thread bud.

Of course I read your post;)

however I have just er re read your post checked it and it says sprt which is southport yay. but on VM schedule page it doesn`t list southport. Under north west just says preston area Complete

Last edited:
I`m in southport with a PR preston post code other than that there is liverpool but that doesnt mention southport.

I have turned modem on and off then reset which sent my Dl speed crashing to 1meg but then came back to 3.8meg

SO not sure what the prob is maybe 3.8 meg is the fastest i can get with 10meg like 5 meg is the best a lot can get with 20 meg;)

Nice generalisation. It's a shame a lot actually get 20mb/close to 20mb.

Back
Top Bottom