Virgin Media Speed Upgrades: FAQ

Associate
i should think everyone will be downgrading to 10mbit when it becomes available, i can wait several minutes longer to download something and as for 20mbit page surfing it doesn't exist

Soldato
"Firstly, i need peoples help here (or i will just stop being lazy and look up virgin media's policies later but i don't know the specifics about leaving virgin media in terms of minimum contract and "grace" period etc. Will update ASAP"

I phoned up being outside the 12 month contract, said "i want to leave".
Give you 30days of internet (we canceled on the 1st, its active till 1st of next month). Other than that payment was cancelled straight away, direct debit was cancelled by us.

:) Hope that helps.

Soldato
Gav said:
I am on 20meg and hardly make it above 5meg. The 20meg connection isn't worth the money unless your downloading millions of files and can handle the restrictions between 4pm and 4am. Not between 4 and 12 like VM would like you to believe...

122313883.png

Thats my latest speedtest...
I don't get capped after 12.

Soldato
I was showing it for the 8meg and ADSL2, and not the 1.5Mb ADSL, which as far as I know is using the same technology, so should be the same distances.

Caporegime
Trifid said:
I was showing it for the 8meg and ADSL2, and not the 1.5Mb ADSL, which as far as I know is using the same technology, so should be the same distances.

And if one's complete drivel, the other one's going to be any better?
The graph doesn't account for the gauge of copper BT use (it at least points out that it assumes perfect conditions and can't allow for aluminium, dodgy joints et al), so the distances aren't useful. All it does is make the point that distance is completely irrelevant.

It says full rate adaptive ADSL will break at 6300m so ~63dB attenuation at UK gauge - which will provide a perfectly serviceable fixed-rate 1Mbps service, if not faster...

Last edited:
Soldato
Tolien's point is, you can't judge what speed you can get based on distance alone and that line should be removed basically.

Caporegime
If you want to make a comment about what you'll get with distance for ADSL, I seem to recall Be don't want to know if your loop length's >5km.

Back
Top Bottom