Virgin Media Speed Upgrades: FAQ

Man of Honour
Hmm I thought my 4200 would be okay. What will they replace it with though? I've heard bad things about the webstar and other ones :confused:

Associate
Our area is due the upgrade sometime within next two weeks (Shoeburyness) and although the SB4100 can handle 38Mbps downstream and 10Mbps upstream, there is a chance that it's internal components might not be up to the job given that it's such an old model (4100 model has done us a great service since 01'), just wondering if anyone here is receiving 20Mbit on an SB4100 yet?

:)

Duke said:
Hmm I thought my 4200 would be okay.
According to the Virginmedia website the SB4200 will be 'great' for the new speeds.

afraser2k said:
Nice to see the option for us to do it for free.
Agreed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Woohoo I didnt think I was going to get the speed upgrade so soon as I didnt get the letter through the door where as some of my mates that live in near by towns did (Im in an ex cable and wireless area).

Nice.......

Permabanned
shokz said:
Our area is due the upgrade sometime within next two weeks (Shoeburyness) and although the SB4100 can handle 38Mbps downstream and 10Mbps upstream, there is a chance that it's internal components might not be up to the job given that it's such an old model (4100 model has done us a great service since 01'), just wondering if anyone here is receiving 20Mbit on an SB4100 yet?

:)

I live in Canvey Island and got the SB4100 but been told I have to upgrade my modem as it won't support the 20meg speed. :(

Gav

Gav

Associate
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but 20Mb isn't all it's cracked up to be. I have had it for a month and the quality of service has gone through the floor. When i was on 10Mb speeds were pretty stable, downloading from usenet was a joy as the speeds pretty much maxed out all the time. Now that i am on the 20Mb service I am frequently seeing speeds as low as 1Mb and others have been down to 100kb

20Mb : rarely
10Mb: occasionally
5Mb: sometimes
2Mb: Nearly always

And thats before the traffic management kicks in...

and thats on a good day.

Soldato
You'd be amazed mate. Try a different NIC. Some guy on the newsgroups had the latest C2D motherboard - and the nic couldn't handle 20mb. Regardless of what that modem can handle - my 4100 can do 38mbps but virgin say it can't do 20mb...yours is newer so should be ok - but I would check.

Try without your router.

Gav

Gav

Associate
my nic is a 10/100/1000 gigabit card so thats unlikey to be a problem.

The modem is definitely compatible and the problem is the same without the router. The problem is that VM cannot sustain a 20Mb service up to the same quality as the 10Mb service. Hence why the business connections are still only 10Mb. They will not be increased until the end of the year

Back
Top Bottom