Virtual Pool 4 (15th August)

Soldato
Had no idea that they had a version out for the ipad.

Easy sell, virtual pools allways been great, just purchased it. Vp4, the issues you have with drm don't realy effect me, but ill wait till the skies fall in, buy it when winter draws in and iv'e time to sit and play it for more than 5 minutes.

Permabanned
Props, Gimpymoo.

Even if that went ignored, reading that helped me and surely others better establish our stances on the general issue, and as said on these people and their game in particular.

Last edited:
Associate
Been playing a little on a friends PC. Seems just as I expected, basically it is VP3-HD. Also, why can't you bring the cue back as far on this one? On VP3 you could swing it way back and get an abundance of cue power. On this it restricts the swing so I feel like I can hardly get any power on the ball at all.

Soldato
Never had any intentions of purchasing this anyway just browsing the thread. However holy hell their policy and implementation of DRM is so short-sighted it's unbelievable.

I buy all my games, never been the pirating type, however if I wanted to play this I would have no regrets pirating and playing problem free at all, they will lose so much money with this...

Soldato
I can only surmise that their main customer base are not "core gamers" which would be a fair assumption.

In which case, they will swallow anything they're told anyway so they will not even question the DRM implmentation. They will just accept the inconveniences as "the norm" and the developer goes on merrily, losing out on definite sales in the hope of preventing "lost" sales which may or may not happen.

I was shocked though when they replied:

Don't know what 'DRM' refers to

I sent a wiki link :confused:

Would it be wrong to suggest they are a nineties developer, stuck in the nineties with customers who do not know any better?

They seem to know nothing about marketing which is unusual in this day and age for an Indie developer.

If you wanted to find upto date info on the development of VP4, you had to have a Facebook account, that was the extent of their marketing. No blog, no twitter account, no freebies given to PC gaming media. Then again, the thought of giving away a license to someone probably sent someone into a coronary. Most Indie games are all over the gaming press before launch, be they game blogs, podcasts or the bigger sites such as RPS who will give anything a go if it is sent to them as do countless other well visited sites.

They make a game, saddle it with crazy DRM without even knowing what DRM is, sell it exclusively via their own website with little to no marketing.

Maybe they should invest in someone who is in touch with the 21st century to help their beloved product grow as beyond their existing userbase of VP3 players, who is going to buy it?

I in no way know how to develop/market a game but surely the points rasied above are valid?

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Been playing a little on a friends PC. Seems just as I expected, basically it is VP3-HD. Also, why can't you bring the cue back as far on this one? On VP3 you could swing it way back and get an abundance of cue power. On this it restricts the swing so I feel like I can hardly get any power on the ball at all.

It is there to restrict the amount of cue power you can generate in order to better match what is achievable in real life.

As for the game, I really like it and am more than happy with the $30 it cost me. Sure it isnt perfect but then what is?

Associate
was looking forward to this game, but after reading all that i wont bother now, but it does have me itching to play a pool/snooker game, does anyone know of a good one to play against others online ?

Associate
Does anyone know if VP4 is compatible with Windows 8 RTM? VP3DL isn't, I've emailed support and they initially replied with 'its not possible for you to have Windows 8 as its not released yet' which was pretty laughable. A few emails later and they've said they don't have Windows 8 for testing yet and probably won't support VP3DL on it.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Pool Nation is good IMO. I got it for just under a fiver, can't grumble for that price and the graphics are nice, music is annoying so turned that off.. Overall for a fiver I paid its a good game for a few quick games of pool..

Soldato
Found Pool Nation awful. I can reconfigure it to a degree to be like Virtual Pool but I jut don't get on with it - it's not as intuitive as VP.

I'll compare it when I get it but for the time being I'd rather play VP3 than this.

M.

Soldato
Ive been playing VP4 online for the last few weeks and loving it.

If ive read it right you dont have to own it to play online, but if you 'donate' you get all options/games. I paid $10 (about £6.50) and playing 9-ball mostly.

From the facebook page...

Registration is now open to everyone (means you don't have to purchase VP4 to get online). You can register for free, or register for the minimum V$ purchase of $10 (buys V$1000).
Players who register free are Player Gratis and have certain restrictions:
Can only play 8-Ball, 9-Ball 6-Ball, in Challenge mode, in the Garage
Can not enter any events such as tournaments
Can only play with the house cues
Can not create private rooms
Have a static player rating

You can play as much as you want and have full access to the vponline.celeris.com social network.

Last edited:
Soldato
I for one have been critical of of this game for reasons noted above regarding its DRM.

I have tried VP4 Online and I have to say, the implementation is that good, I even gave $10 for some VP$.

This allows me (from hat I can tell) the same functionality as "offline" players when playing VP4 online.

Comparison of the Offline and Online product are here:

http://vponline.celeris.com/product/

There is no AI (Vs CPU play) or "Career".

Personally, I think $10 for access to the majority of the full game is excellent.

This "Online" version also negates my prior grumbles regarding the DRM, I just wish they implemented the sign in system to the main client so I could install that on multiple computers I own without problem.

Saying that, the online version works great and causes no problems installing to multiple PC's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom