Vista worth it with 1GB DDR?

Permabanned
Magister said:
Vista is not worth it, period.

Just stop please. :(

Just because Vista dosent work on your system, hes system the Queens system, it dosent mean that it wont work on my system or someones else's system.

Yes Gaming is much better on XP but if you dont game Vista is fine for the most part.

If you have an XP disc and a license and you can install it at any time, just give Vista a try, your bound to get it in the end. If it dosent work or your not happy with it no worries, put it in your draw and wait a few months.

Their is no right or wrong answer on how Vista runs since everyone has different system, runs different apps does different things.

So put all this rubbish about Vista is worthless aside. Thiers loads of people that are happy with Vista, their loads of people that don't like Vista. Its down to how it runs on your system, so don't just say:

Magister said:

That dosent help anyone.

Soldato
stickroad said:
Just stop please. :(

Just because Vista dosent work on your system, hes system the Queens system, it dosent mean that it wont work on my system or someones else's system.

Yes Gaming is much better on XP but if you dont game Vista is fine for the most part.

If you have an XP disc and a license and you can install it at any time, just give Vista a try, your bound to get it in the end. If it dosent work or your not happy with it no worries, put it in your draw and wait a few months.

Their is no right or wrong answer on how Vista runs since everyone has different system, runs different apps does different things.

So put all this rubbish about Vista is worthless aside. Thiers loads of people that are happy with Vista, their loads of people that don't like Vista. Its down to how it runs on your system, so don't just say:

That dosent help anyone.

Have you read anything that has been said on here :rolleyes:

Nobody said anything about how well it runs or whether it runs at all, it's that it is clumsier and less intuitive than XP, while not offering any real benefits. Aero is garbage which serves no purpose, desktop search is good but a simple to install free app does a better job on XP, you can no longer scroll through a folder of photos in the correct order, you can no longer copy a few photos from your camera in only a couple of mouse clicks, changing desktop settings is more difficult, a simple check of network settings is much more difficult (so much so that its easier to run ipconfig from terminal), network sharing has become down right complicated, I could go on... This is when it is working properly, which of course is not always the case with the many hardware incompatibilities which still exist. Blame this on the manufacturers if you like but this OS has been out for months now, everybody said 'wait a few months and it will be better than XP', well guess what, it IS a few months later and as far as I can see, not much has changed.

Soldato
Magister said:
get your coat and a rope, and go hang yourself in the rain :D
(only kidding, each to their own)

I personally love vista, if it works, it's amazing, but if you have compatablity problems its a massive pain.
With that system though, I doubt you'd get smooth performance.

Soldato
jdickerson said:
People said the same about XP... and oh look - we all use it.

Going from win 98 for many was a decent improvement at least for stability but most would agree the benefits of xp to vista are quite a bit less and in some cases a step back at the moment, maybe in a year or so it will be more worthy but linux is now looking more and more like a good alternative in some cases as well.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
XP's start menu is sorted into alphabetical order. How can it be hard to find things? You click the start menu then the other menus all pop up just by moving the mouse. In Vista you need to click AGAIN to make folders open, it's cumbersome and clumsy compared to XP. What I find unacceptable is that they didn't give you the OPTION of keeping an XP-style start menu. They did however give you the option of a Windows 98 style start menu :rolleyes:

So is vista, what have you done tbh that made it non alphabetical?
How is it hard to find stuff in xp, well just because theres no search bar, and you just dont know where to look, I have a list of at least 100 folders in start menu in xp, and its a pain to find anything in it, because stupid apps make names sorted by ''company'' instead of their own name, in vista i just type the app name and find it, in xp, its impossible.

The lack of sound etc is the job of your sound driver, not my fault your sound drives doesnth ave a decent controll panel in bottom right, my realtek hd audio has a just as decent panel in vista as in xp...

So what if they renamed it all, those arent stuff you use daily, more like once a month, if not less, personally had no trouble with stuff like personalize and add/remove stuff, since those stuff arn't touched anyhow...

I'm asking, what takes longer of the daily uses, daily usage in vista is a lot faster in xp due to caching, I'd use vista for that alone. Sure perhaps configing takes longer, but nobody uses config daily.

Aero isn't rubbish, it makes it look all a lot better, wich is important to some people :rolleyes: .

Also no idea what you say about the pictures, It's same to me, plug in camera, goto camera folder in my computer, copy & paste all the .jpg files ( pictures), and done, same as in xp.

Last edited:
Permabanned
snowdog said:
So is vista, what have you done tbh that made it non alphabetical?
I didn't say Vista wasn't. With XP you don't need to pause while folders on the Start menu open, and you don't need to click to open folders, merely hover over them. It is much faster and more intuitive.

Aero isn't rubbish, it makes it look all a lot better, wich is important to some people :rolleyes: .

Also no idea what you say about the pictures, It's same to me, plug in camera, goto camera folder in my computer, copy & paste all the .jpg files ( pictures), and done, same as in xp.
At this point you are responding to someone else's posts, not mine. I think Aero looks fine but you can make XP look 99% like that so it is not a compelling reason to upgrade.

Associate
vista is 100% better than xp, it looks better, feels better, a lot more organised, more stable, there is NO difference in the way games run and as far as i'm concered no compatability issues(still using xp drivers for my soundcard and mouse/keyboard cus they work fine)

Soldato
dirtydog said:
I didn't say Vista wasn't. With XP you don't need to pause while folders on the Start menu open, and you don't need to click to open folders, merely hover over them. It is much faster and more intuitive.

No, it's just what you're used to. And this is where the problems arise; people need to realise the difference between what is actually simplified and easier to use, and what they think is easier purely because they already know how to do it. Vista is clearly trying to achieve the former and for the most part, it succeeds. Look at Vista from the point of view of 90% of users (i.e. people who don't have a clue what they're doing), and Vista explains things far better and makes options easier to find and choose. XP, in comparison, is far more complicated from that perspective.

The major benefits I've found in Vista have been small things, but there's lots of small things. Perhaps not the greatest reason in the world to upgrade to a new OS, but personally I think it's different enough to be worth what I paid for it, yet still remains familiar enough so I don't feel completely lost. I've been using Vista for 8 or 9 days now and I know where everything is. If you write it off within the first 5 minutes, it's your loss.

Permabanned
Who said I wrote it off after 5 minutes? I've used it extensively. I will never like the start menu or other aspects of it (like the new explorer) as much as previous versions of Windows. The start menu and explorer worked perfectly from Windows 95-2003 and then they ballsed it up.

Soldato
Magister said:

i got to laugh at that...

so i'm guessing u tryed vista and it didn't work with your hardware well.. ummmm that isn't vista fault..

vista runs perfectly fine on my system also on millions of other peoples system.. just because u didn't like it doesn't mean other people won't like it..

vista is much faster then xp... and for those people who said xp is faster for games, i disagree, i play all my games on vista and i don't see any loss in speed.. maybe because ati as better drivers

yes vista would run on 1GB of ram fine. but if u run a lot of apps or if u like playing games then i say no, u'll need 2GB

Last edited:
Associate
im trying out vista for 30 days on this machine and if its rubbish im going to delete my vista partition then put it away till i next get a new pc, if its good ill activate, my opinion atm is that vista isnt really worth the money to update to from xp, but is about as good as xp, so go for it if u want to :) i have 1gb and its fine.

Last edited:
Permabanned
dirtydog said:
Who said I wrote it off after 5 minutes? I've used it extensively. I will never like the start menu or other aspects of it (like the new explorer) as much as previous versions of Windows. The start menu and explorer worked perfectly from Windows 95-2003 and then they ballsed it up.

To be fair, I felt the exact same way about XP. I was happy with 98SE and the way that was all laid out. XP came along with a different style start menu, completely revamped GUI and other large changes that unsettled me.

However I'm on XP now, and have been for years. It blows 98SE out of the water. Vista is still new and unestablished. Vista will soon become the mainstream OS, and I guarantee you'll be using it in 2008. :)

Soldato
I have it on my system much better than XP in almost every aspect and recent benchies/reviews actually show an improvement in a lot of games over xp.

Have a 100gig partition whit xp on it that i havent booted since january

Cant stand using XP at work now its like going back to the dark ages

I put this on a machine for a cynical linux friend, he almost died laughing......until i put 2gb ram in. The hard drive goes non stop without it

It really needs 2gb in my experience over about 5 different pc installs

Last edited:
Permabanned
iCraig said:
To be fair, I felt the exact same way about XP. I was happy with 98SE and the way that was all laid out. XP came along with a different style start menu, completely revamped GUI and other large changes that unsettled me.

However I'm on XP now, and have been for years. It blows 98SE out of the water. Vista is still new and unestablished. Vista will soon become the mainstream OS, and I guarantee you'll be using it in 2008. :)
I guarantee I won't be using it in 2008.

The XP vs 98 argument doesn't hold water. 2000/XP is a big leap over 9x in numerous ways. Most notably stability and reliability. Vista offers few or no real advantages to me. Also XP's start menu and explorer etc. are basically identical to Windows 9x anyway, with a few minor evolutions which are logical improvements. Vista tears up what worked perfectly well and replaced it with something worse, for no discernible reason. Where are all the people complaining about XP's start menu and explorer interface? Few or no people complained because it works well and intuitively.

Permabanned
If the forum went back to 2001, you would see all the same kinds of threads and posts about XP exactly the same way we have the ones now about Vista.

I went to Vista and came back to XP. First impressions were bad, but I know for a fact and I'll get used to it and realise it is a nice upgrade from XP sooner or later. The minor complaints I have will be ironed out as drivers and software become more compatible and Vista is tweaked per Microsoft Update.

Permabanned
The complaints I have won't be ironed out because they are inherent and by design.

XP does not have these flaws and it suits my needs perfectly. It is a modern, stable and secure operating system and I am happy with it. I do not game. Why change? :confused:

Permabanned
Actually I would consider 'upgrading' if the slightly newer revision of NTFS that Vista uses didn't **** up like my XP system partition has done today... :mad:

(First time this has happened to me ever)

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
The complaints I have won't be ironed out because they are inherent and by design.

Either have two choices, embrace the change, or wait for an application that allows you to tweak Vista's UI to your liking.

dirtydog said:
XP does not have these flaws and it suits my needs perfectly. It is a modern, stable and secure operating system and I am happy with it. I do not game. Why change? :confused:

It won't stay that way forever though. :) Windows 2000 was a modern, stable and secure OS, but how many use it now? :p

Back
Top Bottom