Vista worth it with 1GB DDR?

Soldato
HT splits the cpu into 2 virtual cores, the pc sees this as a dualcore, the ht has some parts of the cpu doubled, but its still originally a single core.

Hyper-Threading technology is a process that allows an Intel Pentium 4 CPU to be viewed by the operating systems as two processors. Hyper-Threading technology allows one processor to work on two separate operations at the same time rather than one at a time.

Regardless what you say, Ive tryed non HT for a week, and couldnt stand it, every tiem an app froze i couldnt shut it down cos 100% of the cpu was easten away by it, even mouse was impossible to move, it's much faster, about 30 %, when doing 2 things at once.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Ice On Fire said:
Erm, I can't read your lips, however I can read your text input to the forum. ;)

No, I'm for Windows Vista. I am running Vista on my Shuttle system at home, 2GB of RAM. It works perfectly. I love Vista, and the Areo theme is really cool and makes everything look good, which is important to me by the way. I like the way it puts things together for you and just the whole feel of it. I definitely love the search in the start menu. Excellent idea. Also, the sidebar is really good. I have an app launcher with all my apps in one place, documents and pictures there. I only click on the start menu when...erm...ah.. ;)

Now I use Windows XP Pro at work and it 'does the job' But if I had to choose it would be Vista. My only complaint with Vista is that it's not too good with games. Older games, like NFS:Carbon and older. So that's why i have XP and Vista on a Dual boot. :D

Running it with 1GB is OK, but 2GB is better. For those saying Vista is rubbish and it's not worth it - Don't be so silly, just because you don't like change, it isn't to say the OS is crap, mmmmkay?
I didn't say it was rubbish. It's a perfectly good OS. If it wasn't for the existence of XP I would certainly use it as my main OS. However, as things stand I both prefer XP's modus operandi and it runs better on my machine than Vista does. While I do like the Aero theme and the sidebar, both of those can be replicated to a very close degree in Windows XP.

Soldato
^It does, or at least its not using 3 ghz of it, because widows is still repsonsive and fast, with it disabled, when an app uses 100%, I can't move my mouse anymore, or at least hardly.

Kk nvm, just saying, I can't stand single threaded cpu's anymore, either hyper T or DC or quadcore for me, especially in vista.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
edit - nm - don't wanna get into a lengthy technical debate :o

No, dirtydog, it wasn't aimed at you. I know you're having problems with XP's NTFs ect but I never said you were saying it was rubbish. Chill....I'm too tired for this lol. :(

Soldato
I have been dual booting XP Pro (32bit) and Vista (64bit) with 4GB of Ram, both run very well, I still prefer XP Pro in comparison, however, that could simply be due to the amount of time I have spend with Vista, I have a couple of glitches with it still, installing Updates (hard to install) and drivers for sound, but I would think I will go over completely to Vista in the next couple of months.

In saying that, I would not wish to run Vista on only 1GB of Ram, 2GB yes, but not 1. :)

Soldato
Edinho said:
It'll be Vista SP3 before its anywhere near worth buying. Nice OS shame hardly anything works.

what u mean hardly anything works?

u people that saying vista chap, or saying not many things work on it. r u sure its vista and not another OS?

maybe u was running windows 3.11

because nearly all apps and games run on vista.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Their is no fact about windows Vista being rubbish or being good.

Its down to preferecnce. Thats all it is down to now.

You might not like it becuase of various reasons, someone else might like it becuase of various reasons. Its like anything in the world.

Man of Honour
I would upgrade to 2GB ram. From the systems, I've used 1GB is fine for light use, but opening up a few apps and the performance drops quite quick.

Soldato
Wow... It's like an episode of Planet Earth here, all the anti Vista trolls migrated to this thread almost as if they couldn't help themselves...

Glad to see most of them are sticking with the usual not letting facts get in the way of a good flamebaiting... :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom