Vista worth it with 1GB DDR?

Permabanned
iCraig said:
Either have two choices, embrace the change, or wait for an application that allows you to tweak Vista's UI to your liking.
Eh? I have a third, it's called staying with XP :confused: Vista will never be fixable to my liking; the flaws run too deep.

It won't stay that way forever though. :) Windows 2000 was a modern, stable and secure OS, but how many use it now? :p
In business? Millions of people. Why? It does the job perfectly.

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
Eh? I have a third, it's called staying with XP :confused: Vista will never be fixable to my liking; the flaws run too deep.

So you're never going to move to Vista? What about when the product cycle of XP ends and it's dropped? Skip Vista altogether and move to its successor? You'll be screwed then if that version still uses Vista's modern features you hate.

dirtydog said:
In business? Millions of people. Why? It does the job perfectly.

People would argue that Vista does the job perfectly. What advanced requirements do you have that makes no version of Vista applicable to you, even after third-party modification?

Last edited:
Soldato
Dirtydog, so you really want to stick with that damn slow xp ( it really is damn slow in normall usage, even a clean install ), compared to ultra fast vista, xp doesn't use ram properly, wich makes it slow.
I can't believe ppl dont like faster loading apps.
I still haven't found any stuff but config stuff harder to find or use in vista, I agree, netwrok could have been better, but its not as if i need to go there daily, u only go there once or twice and ** done, while faster loading stuff is something that benefits you daily.
Superfetch alone is mroe than enough reason to go Vista imo.

Permabanned
iCraig said:
So you're never going to move to Vista? What about when the product cycle of XP ends and it's dropped? Skip Vista altogether and move to its successor? You'll be screwed then if that version still uses Vista's modern features you hate.
I'll move if I have to. Perhaps by then the cost of upgrading to a suitable machine will be more to my liking. Vista does not run well on my machine compared to XP. P4 2.6C, 1gig PC3200 etc. Most of what I use it for is browsing the web, listening to music and watching movies. The hardware is plenty for that. Vista is like a slug on it though.

People would argue that Vista does the job perfectly. What advanced requirements do you have that makes no version of Vista applicable to you, even after third-party modification?
That defies logic. Of course Vista is adequate but why move to it if I am happy? Unless you are a Microsoft shill, why are you trying to tell me I should buy something when I am happy with what I've got?? :confused:

Permabanned
snowdog said:
Dirtydog, so you really want to stick with that damn slow xp ( it really is damn slow in normall usage, even a clean install ), compared to ultra fast vista, xp doesn't use ram properly, wich makes it slow.
I can't believe ppl dont like faster loading apps.
I still haven't found any stuff but config stuff harder to find or use in vista, I agree, netwrok could have been better, but its not as if i need to go there daily, u only go there once or twice and ** done, while faster loading stuff is something that benefits you daily.
Superfetch alone is mroe than enough reason to go Vista imo.
Read my lips: Vista is SLOOOOWWWWEEERRRR for ME. Understand? Need me to repeat it? Good :)

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
I'll move if I have to. Perhaps by then the cost of upgrading to a suitable machine will be more to my liking. Vista does not run well on my machine compared to XP. P4 2.6C, 1gig PC3200 etc. Most of what I use it for is browsing the web, listening to music and watching movies. The hardware is plenty for that. Vista is like a slug on it though.

That defies logic. Of course Vista is adequate but why move to it if I am happy? Unless you are a Microsoft shill, why are you trying to tell me I should buy something when I am happy with what I've got?? :confused:

My point is that XP won't keep you happy forever. You seem adamant that you won't be going to Vista when XP does everything you need. That's fair enough, I'm the same as you right now, but in a years time I have little doubt I'll be on Vista.

Soldato
dirtydog said:
Read my lips: Vista is SLOOOOWWWWEEERRRR for ME. Understand? Need me to repeat it? Good :)

Slower, what kind of pc do u have? a p3 + 512 mb of ram + old outdated hdd?

Vista should be a lot faster if you have 1 +gb ram, a decent dual core cpu, and a reasonbly new 7200rpm hdd...

EDIT:
Ah now I see, single core/threaded cpu...
Ahwell, stick with xp then.

Soldato
microsoft messed up. they actually made a decent operating system with 2000/xp and there really is no real reason to upgrade to vista. i like vista and i use it full time, but i'd struggle to convince other people to upgrade. i mean what reasons are there? only reason i'm using it because i'm a windows nut and i like to have the "latest and greatest". but i'm not actually doing anything i can't do in xp. ok you've got dx10 for gamers and superfetch does a little to help application load times. but what else? :)

Soldato
marc2003 said:
wtf? you don't need a dual core cpu for vista. that's daft talk right there. :)

It used to be slow as hell on my dads a64 3700 + , 1 gb ram, now with a dual core 3800+, it feels a lot smoother (still same ammount of ram).

Not dual core, but dual threaded, in windows, having a cpu with a single thread, wether in xp, or vista, is awfull imo, hence I avoided the a64 platform for my own private pc, every time whatever app locks up u get 100% cpu usage, and can't do anything, with 2 threads, it's limited to 50%, and the pc always stays smooth, even when apps try to use the whole cpu for loading, or happens to eat up the cpu due to freezing.
Every time I go onto a single theraded pc, I really think it's sluggish, have to wait each time for 1 thing to finish, to start a 2nd cpu heavy app, with 2 threads, you can just do everything @ once and have still almost full speed.

Perhaps it's the way I use windows, I'm used to immediatly start everything ill use later on, ie when my pc turns on, I immediatly ( well, immediatly, actually when vista is done cacheing, so about 2 misn after boot.) start 5 apps at a time, but imo a single threaded cpu is worthless even for windows usage.

Last edited:
Soldato
snowdog said:
It used to be slow as hell on my dads a64 3700 + , 1 gb ram, now with a dual core 3800+, it feels a lot smoother (still same ammount of ram).

Not dual core, but dual threaded, in windows, having a cpu with a single thread, wether in xp, or vista, is awfull imo, hence I avoided the a64 platform for my own private pc, every time whatever app locks up u get 100% cpu usage, and can't do anything, with 2 threads, it's limited to 50%, and the pc always stays smooth, even when apps try to use the whole cpu for loading, or happens to eat up the cpu due to freezing.
Every time I go onto a single theraded pc, I really think it's sluggish, have to wait each time for 1 thing to finish, to start a 2nd cpu heavy app, with 2 threads, you can just do everything @ once and have still almost full speed.

Perhaps it's the way I use windows, I'm used to immediatly start everything ill use later on, ie when my pc turns on, I immediatly ( well, immediatly, actually when vista is done cacheing, so about 2 misn after boot.) start 5 apps at a time, but imo a single threaded cpu is worthless even for windows usage.

dual threaded is dual core

Soldato
dirtydog said:

Erm, I can't read your lips, however I can read your text input to the forum. ;)

No, I'm for Windows Vista. I am running Vista on my Shuttle system at home, 2GB of RAM. It works perfectly. I love Vista, and the Areo theme is really cool and makes everything look good, which is important to me by the way. I like the way it puts things together for you and just the whole feel of it. I definitely love the search in the start menu. Excellent idea. Also, the sidebar is really good. I have an app launcher with all my apps in one place, documents and pictures there. I only click on the start menu when...erm...ah.. ;)

Now I use Windows XP Pro at work and it 'does the job' But if I had to choose it would be Vista. My only complaint with Vista is that it's not too good with games. Older games, like NFS:Carbon and older. So that's why i have XP and Vista on a Dual boot. :D

Running it with 1GB is OK, but 2GB is better. For those saying Vista is rubbish and it's not worth it - Don't be so silly, just because you don't like change, it isn't to say the OS is crap, mmmmkay?

Back
Top Bottom