Volume levels in Cinemas nowadays...

Caporegime
What they should do is have a headphone jack on every seat so people can listen at their own volume and pirates can get good quality audio on dem cams

Soldato
I remember when my daughter was 4 and i took her to see a kids film. We ended up leaving as the volume level was so loud it made her cry!

I complained to the manager asking him if he cared about children's hearing. He gave me a refund and said he would turn the volume down. We left as daughter was too upset.

Soldato
Already got said condition, I dont want it to be made any worse.

Yep. I'm certain that if that kind of noise was nearby to most people they would complain so why should a cinema be any different?

You must be Dufrais offer fonejacker "I would like to make a complaint please" :D

Last edited:
Associate
If you have tinnitus, the last place you go is the cinema to watch Avengers. I thought someone with tinnitus would be aware and protect themselves with ear protectors as a precaution. I think it's you that's at fault.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well I dont think I'd want to wear ear protectors in a Cinema. I have to in some of my customers premises when I'm at work. All I want is to watch a film at acceptable volume levels, I think the Hollywood studios need to be more aware of Dynamic range when creating modern film soundtracks.

Associate
Well I dont think I'd want to wear ear protectors in a Cinema. I have to in some of my customers premises when I'm at work. All I want is to watch a film at acceptable volume levels, I think the Hollywood studios need to be more aware of Dynamic range when creating modern film soundtracks.

They reduce the volume to respectable/confortable levels, you went the cinema it's to be expected it's going to be loud it's half the experience.

Soldato
too loud for me at my two locals too

and I like listening real loud at home (decent home cinema system) -but at local cinemas I find it painfully loud

I now wear "musicians" ear-plugs, they attenuate the sound level, but you can still hear everything

find it far better that way

I've a dB meter for my home cinema system, I must take it to the cinema next time I go as I'm intrigued how loud it gets

Associate
I like it when the cinema sound is loud. Some of the ones I visit it are terrible when it comes to sound. My home cinema setup sounds louder then some. Stop being an old fart

Soldato
Can't really say iv'e noticed it getting any worse at the Loughborough cinema in the 35 years of watching there. The avengers was all in check today, though I did think the apes film last year was a little ott.

End of the day you can't please, make allowances for everybody. As a suggestion, maybe ask the cinema if they would be welcome to showing the film/s at a quieter volume during a non busy screening time ( first morning show ect)

I doubt they've even considered it, they do make allowances with extra screenings in Loughborough for wheel chair access in different screens.

Soldato
It's why the hospital Audiology departments are experiencing unprecedented volumes of patients with hearing loss for people born in the 1960's onwards who enjoyed loud music in their youth

Soldato
It's to drown out the ignorant *****s who can't sit for 2 hours and actually watch a film in quiet and have to sit and flap their slack jawed gums up and down for any number of asinine reasons.

Man of Honour
I think Cinemas should be 'loud' as it supposed to be an immersive experience, but there is line which is sometimes crossed.

Similarly with music gigs, you expect them to be loud but at some venues you find it is turned up so much that the sound is just distorted and annoying to the extent that it would genuinely be more enjoyable if it was a bit quieter / appropriate for the quality of the audio equipment. One of the things I like about the Pyramid at Glasto is their setup seems capable of doing high volume and decent quality at the same time, across a sizeable distance.

Associate
I've always thought sound quality and even picture quality at vue & cineworld cinemas to be substandard compared to odeon ones.
Only go to odeon now (saw f&f 7 last night) and have noticed no difference with sound volume over the past few years.

Back
Top Bottom