vorpX gurus

Soldato
OP
Yeah, i already have it and thats the best advice I can come up with lol.

So, despite your first hand knowledge of it being not very good, would you mind having a little look at the sim and see if there's any functionality in vorpx.
The sim uses keyboard and or joystick to move and pan. I don't know if these have to be mapped in the vorpx software.

Soldato
OP
Having looked at the eagle landing site, I assume you want to try the vorpx route as it's gone free and the actual VR version due out in Q2 won't be?

Not exactly, I bought EL3D back in 2004 and the dev has already let me have a copy of the VR demo. When he does release the full VR version it'll still probably be cheaper than vorpx anyway.
I understand it may be a bit of a ball ache to get any kind of decent result but I'd like to do this for the EL3D community, so any help would be greatly received.

Last edited:
Soldato
I tried VorpX but just can't get into it. One of the best titles is Bioshock Infinite and I still found that very clunky but beautiful.Walking in an indoor situation totally distorts your view. I think during the early days of VR when we had no games, it was a good idea but now its just a bit meh.

Soldato
Has anybody tried VorpX recently? It's currently on version 19 so it's obviously matured since it started in 2013. They rave about it in the VorpX forums but everybody here says it's rubbish so I dont know what to think.

Soldato
Has anybody tried VorpX recently? It's currently on version 19 so it's obviously matured since it started in 2013. They rave about it in the VorpX forums but everybody here says it's rubbish so I dont know what to think.

Yes recently. The biggest problem with vorpx is that whilst it can enable you to play a game within a VR headset, that isn't the same thing at all as "playing a game in VR". Its also massively overpriced for the actual end result you get. There is so much cheaper or free native VR content and most flat games are better played flat than trying to cludge them in to VR, it rapidly becomes a case of diminishing returns.

Soldato
the biggest problem with vorpx is the amount of tweaking you need to do to get close to perfect results. and the fact that your stuck using kb/mouse or joypad

Soldato
OP
the biggest problem with vorpx is the amount of tweaking you need to do to get close to perfect results. and the fact that your stuck using kb/mouse or joypad

Yes it does have its issues, but having flown EagleLander3D for a good number of years it's amazing to actually stand on the lunar surface and having to look up at the lunar module because it's so big. Looking down into the craters. Seeing the mountains at Hadley (Apollo 15 landing site) and the 1000ft deep rille. Just way better than a flat screen experience. Not trying to plug vorpx, because it's possibly not that good for a number of games. But for a 10 year old sim, it has given it a new lease of life.

Associate
As stated above VorpX was good in the beginning but now i use it very very mildly i would not recommend it now unless it is on sale

Soldato
Finally took the plunge after reading a comment on reddit that made a little sense in the swirl of divided opinion. The comment of nobody has a problem with Alien Isolation, people laude the game despite it being virtually the same thing made me pick it up.

Gave Arma3 an hour on a user profile, wasn't all that bad. The head tracking felt a little jarring, and the lack gunplay that is a norm in VR is a huge miss, but aside from that it looks and performs no different to something like The forest in VR or the aforementioned Alien Isolation.

I would say if you don't have a problem with those games that do Faux VR with no motion controls, then it could be worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom