• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

VOUCHER CODE DEALS CONCEPT PLAN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Unworthy.
?
Everyone who has MM access will absolutely have free delivery access to. People ordering without free delivery almost certainly hasn't gotten the code off MM.

@ScottiB Can you systems check the orders and quickly filter out those with/without free delivery?
Good idea.

Or can codes be tied to users somehow and one use only?

Soldato
By the way someone has already posted about this on a Discord server I am on *rolls eyes*

I wonder if OCUK can query their order system to discover those who have applied the voucher code but don't have the MM access on their forum accounts?

Must be some linking already from the shop to the forum as that's what I configured for the free shipping thing.

Bit of work to do it, but would prevent people from abusing the codes easily, could cancel orders if the account doesn't meet the post criteria.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
@ScottiB Can you systems check the orders and quickly filter out those with/without free delivery?
Unfortunately not
Or can codes be tied to users somehow and one use only?
nope
I wonder if OCUK can query their order system to discover those who have applied the voucher code but don't have the MM access on their forum accounts?
Nope
The members market is the only viable place because every other option requires major alterations to how the forum works and we don't want to wait weeks to get started.

Associate

If this small scale test proves successful, will OCUK consider some form of voucher code validation in the future? This GPU shortage seems unlikely to go away any time soon unless worldwide silicon demand drops drastically. Such a system wouldn't have to be limited to GPU sales, it could be a great way of encouraging forum engagement and rewarding long term members.

Associate
If its members market only it cant be helped

just want to see people who need cards get cards and while it would be nice to get a 3070 or rx6700 its not the end of the world if I dont

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
I assume then it would require a manual check of each order?
yup
If this small scale test proves successful, will OCUK consider some form of voucher code validation in the future? This GPU shortage seems unlikely to go away any time soon unless worldwide silicon demand drops drastically. Such a system wouldn't have to be limited to GPU sales, it could be a great way of encouraging forum engagement and rewarding long term members.
We're trying to work within the limitation of what we have now.
We have a new website in testing and new internal systems, both due in a few months and our IT guys are flat out with these...I also believe that we have a new forum back end on the near horizon too. The last thing we can afford to do now is invest time & money into modifying our current systems.

Associate
I assume then it would require a manual check of each order?
yup
We're trying to work within the limitation of what we have now.

On a serious note, as a e-commerce professional, I'm surprised that it would have to be this way. At least a while ago you had a system for linking the main-site account to the forum account.

All you'd need to do would be to implement a voucher collection page, probably one with a unpublished route only disclosed on the forum. You can then make that page grab the forum account id from the account if the user is logged in, allowing them to see a voucher code locked to one per account upon meeting the criteria.
Either that or if you have an event for voucher claim, with a thread in the forum disclosing the voucher codes, you could potentially just catch that event and do all the leg work in the event for validating the forum account.

In theory it should be very doable, admittedly I have no idea what you've used to implement your systems, but could imagine something like this is entirely plausible.
If you do have extreme levels of technical debt, I strongly recommend seeing to it though, having a custom scaleable automated E-commerce solution is going to become more and more valuable going forward as drop shipping, out-of-the-box solutions and Amazon eat most of the remaining little guys.

Last edited:
Soldato
I read it that OCUK have other priorities and this is the best they can do without expending extra effort, which is probably fair enough.

This has to be better than letting the scalpers run off with the cards, it won't be perfect, but it will be better than nothing.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
On a serious note, as a e-commerce professional, I'm surprised that it would have to be this way. At least a while ago you had a system for linking the main-site account to the forum account.
As an e-commerce professional, you probably understand better than most that things aren't as simple as they seem to be when you have multiple systems, multiple platforms, written at different times by different people to do specific, focused jobs. the forum software is outdated, as are out internal systems. The website is newer but wasn't specifically developed for us. The forum/account link for free shipping was basically a hack and as I said
our IT guys are flat out.... The last thing we can afford to do now is invest time & money into modifying our current systems.

Soldato
I read it that OCUK have other priorities and this is the best they can do without expending extra effort, which is probably fair enough.

This has to be better than letting the scalpers run off with the cards, it won't be perfect, but it will be better than nothing.
At the very least it will be real people/gamers getting one rather than Yeezy sneakers resellers who have moved onto pc hardware using bots.

Soldato
the forum software is outdated

Bit off topic here but whilst it has been mentioned - this forum is by far the most simple, usable and intuitive forum on the net, period. I would hate to lose the way this forum operates and looks for a newer platform because honestly every other forum is terrible. Quoting works great here, we have basic font/colour selections, we can easily put in images. Its fast to load. I dont know how other forums manage to screw such a simple thing up so badly but they do.

Associate
An idea would be to ask those interested to post in a thread, then PM them a code

Not sure if this can be automated on the forum side, but would avoid everyone and their nan seeing the codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom