VPN recommendations?

Soldato
Apologies if this is in the wrong place..

Can anyone recommend a VPN for home use?
Something that won't slow down the 150mb home connection too much..

Soldato
AirVPN and vpn.ac give me more or less wire speed on 200/10 (when VM aren't congested to death, anyway). They don't monitor or log activity and have some great features between them. Air has a fantastic open source client (Eddie) which allows VPN over SSL, SSH or TOR as well as plain VPN. VPN.ac has a great encrypted browser proxy in addition to the VPN (OpenVPN, L2TP, IKE2) and SOCKS5 proxy. Check them out before the Black Friday deals expire!

Associate
A lot of choice out there. Take a look at Private Internet Access and Nord VPN. A lot them are cheap but about as trust worth as a condom vending machine in a whore house.

Soldato
Avoid:

Relakks - used to be great, no tracking, no speed issues etc but recently they changed it, you can now only pay for it using Payson, and from what I can figure out is only possible if you have a Swedish bank account.

Azirevpn.com - paid for a month's use. Torrents and download speeds are great, but general internet use is slow. Web pages taking 5-10 seconds to start to load.

Soldato
It all depends on the server and the type of traffic. Cheapest current offer is about 83p for a year (or life depending on what you read) via StackSocial's pay what you want offer (anonvpn.io). I've tested it and it's capable of about 80% of my line speed at home which is what most of the others I use (Pure, Tiger, PIA) manage.

For basic use eg you'd prefer your browsing history not to be searchable by a whole swathe of organisations with little or no judicial oversight as it's an invasion of your privacy, then it's probably OK.

However if you're living in/visiting a state controlled by a totalitarian regime that outlaws free speech and any form of dissent/access to the rest of the world's media under pain of imprisonment and torture, or are plotting to take over the world, then i'd possibly suggest a) reconsider your life choices and b) look at other options.

Soldato
Should have purchased a VPN last week when the cyber deals were on, lots of mega savings across a lot of VPN providers. I bought a 2 year package with Nord that had about 75% off.

Yep, PIA user here too - great speeds and multiple device support!

Yeah! Up to 3 devices on a single license / sub :) For speed, this is the weird bit. My VM is 70 mbit 'naked' on a good day, but with PIA enabled it can go up to 75 mbit :eek: Not sure if this is some placebo effect but that's what speedtest.net tells me!

P.S. get good ms as well, 14ms last time I checked.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it possible to log in to a VPN via a router so all your net traffic goes via the VPN?

Yes. Although a lot of routers don't really have the resources for it, so depending on your internet speed, you may end up capping it due to the router bottlenecking. I looked into it and a lot of routers seem to max out around 60Mb or so over vpn. Seems an old pc or mini pc running pfsense or similar is a better option.

Associate
I bought a month of NordVPN last week but I'm not convinced. Most of the time my speed is (almost) maxed out but it occasionally goes to a crawl. And support via email is slow.

I will probably change to PIA when my sub is up.

Associate
Is it possible to log in to a VPN via a router so all your net traffic goes via the VPN?

I tried this on my Asus N66U-RT and it worked but was slow (9Mbps on a 50Mb connection). I'm now using a RPi3 with OpenVPN and dnsmasq connected to the router via ethernet. I then just had to change the default gateway and primary DNS server of all my devices to the static IP of the Raspberry Pi.

Problem is I now have nothing to run Kodi on :(

Associate
on Desktop i used HMA pro, connection speed is good but it got so many problems, corruptions, anw, better than Hotspot shield, so i moved to Expressvpn
Phone: Psiphon: a good vpn service for gaming, you can get free version on store but in some area this app will be restricted so i have to upgrade to pro version or sideload psiphon free apk. However it wont allow you to stream Netflix (it wont slow down connection much)
- Epressvpn on smartphone is great too, you can give a try.
P.s: if you mind security issue rather than bypassing restriction or accessing blocked contents, you'd better stay away from some TOTAL FREE vpn, i heard somewhere that they will sell your information to other companies, police...

Back
Top Bottom