VPN recommendations?

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
mattyg;30477120 said:
My PureVPN disconnected last night whilst downloading Torrents. Luckily they are for work so no worries but that would be a worry if I wasn't

Legit torrents over a VPN? :p

Associate
I'm using VyperVPN - have lots of different servers to connect through. Some of their servers seem be a little slow the last few days, but generally I don't have any complaints. Not sure how it compares to the other options mentioned, but might be another option to consider.

Associate
Used to use PIA (Private Internet Access) for like a year then switched to NordVPN.

Both are good, I switched because of Netflix, back then getting it to work with PIA was a pain (I dunno if it's gotten better since), NordVPN has multiple servers, some made for P2P, some made for Netflix, etc, so I can keep switching servers until I get one that isn't blocked by Netflix.

NordVPN has nice and simple to use VPN app for multiple platforms, not sure about PIA, haven't tried, but you can always use something like OpenVPN and download config files.

Soldato
I'm using VyperVPN - have lots of different servers to connect through. Some of their servers seem be a little slow the last few days, but generally I don't have any complaints. Not sure how it compares to the other options mentioned, but might be another option to consider.

Be careful of Vypr if you use the VPN to download your Linux distros. They are one of the few VPN providers who will actively and proactively work with anti piracy groups in preparation of a prosecution. In other words they have in the past actively dobbed in their customers to MPAA et al for downloading Linux distros they shouldn't have... Ironic considering they're owned by Giganews but there you go.

Soldato
I recently changed my R7000 router to a R7800 and that seems to offer better performance for my AirVPN connection. The R7000 is a great router but the R7800 has a faster dual core CPU and it seems to make a difference.

I might sell the R7000 now or just use it as an AP as the wireless strength is better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Be careful of Vypr if you use the VPN to download your Linux distros. They are one of the few VPN providers who will actively and proactively work with anti piracy groups in preparation of a prosecution. In other words they have in the past actively dobbed in their customers to MPAA et al for downloading Linux distros they shouldn't have... Ironic considering they're owned by Giganews but there you go.

Errr... what? Aren't Linux distros free to download anyway?

Soldato
If you mean pirated material then why not just say that instead of using something random...:rolleyes:

I suppose that was what was being eluded to. Some people use the term "Rain forest" or "that auction site", not sure why as often the context they are being used in is not in relationship to a product sold from OC.

Soldato
Discussion of obtaining pirated material (especially in the context of how to circumvent it, e.g. recommending VPN) is banned on the forum. So, I said Linux distros (because that's what I meant, obviously). :p

Man of Honour
i'm on protonvpn beta and am extremely impressed with it.
coming in spring, pricing unknown atm.

but it really is fast., but then the servers aren't busy. Although unlike most software it tells you what the server load is, and you can also set up different connect options, So I have it auto connect to fastest server regardless of region atm.

Associate

Thanks for that. I'm not using it to download material I shouldn't, but if they are more than happy to hand over browsing data to people then it makes paying for the VPN a waste of time. Don't suppose you have a source for this?

If Vyper are doing that, then I think I will look for an alternative - kinda defeats the object of having it (and more to the point, paying for it!).

Soldato
I'm out ATM so haven't got links to hand. Read their "privacy" policy which outlines their logging and linking of customer accounts to IP addresses. They confirm they tie customer IPs to accounts and they block accounts used for sharing copyright material on their forum too.

For that money just switch to a non logging VPN who won't cooperate with copyright trolls (e.g. AirVPN or similar). As you say it's pointless paying for a VPN (US based at that) who log your data and keep IP/time stamp data. Your ISP already does that for free haha.

Back
Top Bottom